Did one of my speakers die? I'm so SO CONFUSED =(
Dec 18, 2010 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I've had this issue for a while, where one of my speakers' audio cuts out (or rather, it gets really muffled sounding), and I can correct it by playing around with the speaker wire, bending it and wiggling until the full sound comes back.

Does this not sound like a problem with the speaker wire coming into contact with the metal binding posts?

I own the Paradigm Studio 20's, version 2.  It's out of warranty and I know nothing about speakers so I'm reaching out for any assistance.

I thought this speaker wire contact thing was the issue, but recently I could not fix the problem by bending the speaker wire around.  I eliminated the possibility of bad speaker wire by interchanging the left and right speaker wires, and the problem still persisted with the speaker.  

I don't know what to do now, I can't tell if a tweeter is blown, nor do I know how to check.  Any advice?  You guys have been tremendously helpful in the past.  I'm also a poor university student, so I'd prefer a DIY fix over bringing the speakers to a shop.  

I can share my mac and cheese dinner with you if anyone can help me?!

tl;dr - One speaker not working, need guidance, free food with the offer of working advice

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 4
How close to the speaker are you wiggling the wire? Maybe its a loose connection on the wire terminal on the inside of the speaker? So when you wiggle the wire, it moves the binding post some and reconnection on the inside is made again. I am just taking a shot in the dark with this response. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Interesting hypothesis.  Is taking off the rear area where the binding posts are, a generally safe procedure for the speakers?  I can try and check if perhaps the tweeter to binding post connection is just loose.  Or is the tweeter not connected to the binding post?  

EDIT:

Okay, I'm really dumb and really don't know anything about speakers.  I didn't think that the bridge that connects the binding posts were responsible for supplying both the tweeter and the driver with power--after making sure they were perfectly aligned, everything worked perfectly again.

So now I know that all binding posts need power, 5 hours of my life has been stripped away from such a trivial issue.  This thread can be closed now.  Maybe someone in the future will stumble across this thread with the same problem.  

Moral of a day:  OPs can be so ignorant sometimes... =(

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Replace the wire. If the problem persists then it's likely the crossover (or, if in the process of "bending the wire" you move the speaker: it may be the connection to one of your drivers).

It could be a cold solder joint that's lost connection or even a wire that's just come loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back