Differences in MacBook Pro's?
Apr 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hero Kid

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently trying to decide on a new MacBook to buy for school and of course manage and play my music as a source.
I have noticed slight differences between the 13" and 15" as far as "Audio" is concerned and can't really understand the terminology and what it means in reality.

The 13" reads "Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers"

The 15" says "Audio line in minijack (digital/analog), audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers"

So can anyone enlighten me on what it will actually mean for me?
What is the difference?

EDIT: I understand the basic change that one has a separate line in and a separate line out. Also that the 15" has a line out/headphone jack. Does this mean the 13" doesn't have a proper line out? God this is confusing. I'm probably over analyzing this.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 6
The 13" combines the headphone out and mic in. There is just one mini jack.

The 15" has a separate headphone out and mic in. There are two mini jacks.

Both are capable of optical digital out. The single headphone/mic jack on the 13" accepts a mini toslink and the headphone jack on the 15" accepts the mini toslink.
And, im not sure, but i think the mic jack on the 15" accepts a mini toslink for digital in.

Hope this helps.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Farnsworth, that is not my understanding of it, having a Macbook Pro myself, VERY sadly... The 13 inch has 1 jack-of-all-trades for mic-in/audio out/ line-in / etc! Good. BUT the 15 inch sucks because: there is one line-in jack (that is NOT mic-in - won't power mics unless the 3.5mm analog mic is plugged into a preamp), and a line-out/mic-in jack (combining the two frustratingly means that you can't plug in a mic AND hook headphones/speakers up)... Why they couldn't make the line-in a mic-in beats me.

My solution to being able to use my anolog mic headset is plugging the 3.5mm mic into a USB sound card (mines just a cheapo 6$ one from ebay), while plugging my 3.5mm earphones directly into the sound card for the audio out. It works! Though since integrated sound isnt that great in the first place, I'm looking at getting a Creative X-FI USB 5.1 audio interface and just plug my entire headset into it for better sound.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 6
2009, but Apple will never change their line-in port to a mic-in, and the audio jack will always double as a mic-in. And that's what I'm reading from the description too :-\

But it looks like you'll be able to plug in and listen all you want from any Macbook ever made.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I can see the benefit for having the separate line in of the 15" for recording.
But is there any advantage for sound out-put? Wouldn't having a "audio line out" combined with the headphone jack make a difference in SQ? Rather than not having a audio line out at all, like the 13".
Also the 15" has "digital/analog" when the 13" only has digital. Is there any benefit of having the analog output capability?

I am still a bit confused to be honest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back