DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 27, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #4,426 of 4,463
Interesting I thought stratus wouldn't have the current and power for Sus
You have a Stratus in house, try the Susvara out with it so you can find out how you like the combo.

This is pure theory on my part based on observations; you seem to base your opinions on what others have told you, it comes up often in this the DNA threads. I recall a time where you asked something about the Elekit besting a Stellaris, because you “heard” that somewhere. I have a feeling I know the source, as I was at the same mini-meet where we had my Stratus, a friend’s Stellaris, and another friend’s Elekit running 300B tubes.

My suggestion is this; we all have different chains from source to transducer, highly unlikely many will be identical, very unlikely more than 5 of us run the same tube set on our DNA amps. Most importantly, and again this my own experience and opinion, there are many other variables that are both human centric, physiological, taste in music, and most of all what we value in the gear we use for playback.

I have asked you several times if you would kindly provide a bit more insight into what you are looking for, your current go-to chain, and your musical taste. That way many of us can provide you with a helpful response. Your questions are too general, and there is no one size fits all, using the different opinions on the Susvara is a perfect example of this.

So please, help us help you.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #4,427 of 4,463
Cayin vs DNA: Cayin sounds extremely good... the tone, bass, detail.. i can live with it happily... and then I think ok ill sell the DNA then i listen to DNA and im like DAMN IT. DNA has this magic quality that pulls you in... 3d magic, layering, surround effect, immersiveness

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #4,428 of 4,463
I think there a number of factors that go into this. DAC/front end voltage levels, listening level, expectations, exposure to other offerings.

Good points. I know joey compared stellaris to ha300 with lcd3 and liked ha300 and another member on our discord sold stellaris and mainly focuses on planars like lcd4. But if DNA is potentially a good match for planars thats great.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #4,429 of 4,463
Considering the scaleabliity of Susvara to the source amp, there will always be something with more current and power that will bring out even more from it - I'm sure there are plenty of amps that would be more appropriate for it than a Stratus or in my case also an EC Studio B, so it's a matter of deciding what you're happy with and enjoying that until you feel another need to upgrade. That's why I'm quite pleased listening to them through those lower-powered tube amps; they give plenty of volume and they do not sound thin or tinny. Might upgrade to something costing 3x as much some day, might not.

Do you like Sus better on your studio B or stratus?

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #4,430 of 4,463
You have a Stratus in house, try the Susvara out with it so you can find out how you like the combo.

This is pure theory on my part based on observations; you seem to base your opinions on what others have told you, it comes up often in this the DNA threads. I recall a time where you asked something about the Elekit besting a Stellaris, because you “heard” that somewhere. I have a feeling I know the source, as I was at the same mini-meet where we had my Stratus, a friend’s Stellaris, and another friend’s Elekit running 300B tubes.

My suggestion is this; we all have different chains from source to transducer, highly unlikely many will be identical, very unlikely more than 5 of us run the same tube set on our DNA amps. Most importantly, and again this my own experience and opinion, there are many other variables that are both human centric, physiological, taste in music, and most of all what we value in the gear we use for playback.

I have asked you several times if you would kindly provide a bit more insight into what you are looking for, your current go-to chain, and your musical taste. That way many of us can provide you with a helpful response. Your questions are too general, and there is no one size fits all, using the different opinions on the Susvara is a perfect example of this.

So please, help us help you.

As I just wrote above yes people i know have mentioned that sus and dna is not a good pairing but I agree that could be due to many factors.

Right now I am not looking for ultra specific advice. I have just picked up stratus and am comparing it to my cayin and playing with a few dacs right now. I am sorry my questions are too general for you. Feel free to ignore them.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #4,431 of 4,463
Introducing ank 4.1x into the chain:

"Just started listening to this dac and compared to PS DS mk1 with sunlight firmware. Stratus V4, hd800S, hd 650.

Initial thoughts WOW this thing sounds incredible. It enhances the 3d smooth yet detailed sound of stratus. Incredible purity of tone. Detail as good as PS DS at least. The fullness of the mids is just beauty, vocals pure and natural. I can't go back to PS DS now. Also have a denafrips terminator OG which to me was similar sounding to the PS DS."

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #4,432 of 4,463
Do you like Sus better on your studio B or stratus?
Good question. Both amps remain with me because they have such different sound; the 2A3's seem to rock a bit more and the WE 300B's (and the WE is very important as well as very expensive) still have punch and tight bass with that airiness/openness that the best 300B's can provide. I likely would have sold the EC upon receipt of the DNA if I'd just heard the JJ or Gold Lion 300B's I originally got with it. Those were not up to the task of getting the Susvara to sound good and the DNA was. But those WE 300B's have some magic in them.... I also have Utopia OG and those sound really nice on both of those amps.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #4,433 of 4,463
Good question. Both amps remain with me because they have such different sound; the 2A3's seem to rock a bit more and the WE 300B's (and the WE is very important as well as very expensive) still have punch and tight bass with that airiness/openness that the best 300B's can provide. I likely would have sold the EC upon receipt of the DNA if I'd just heard the JJ or Gold Lion 300B's I originally got with it. Those were not up to the task of getting the Susvara to sound good and the DNA was. But those WE 300B's have some magic in them.... I also have Utopia OG and those sound really nice on both of those amps.

I am kinda in the same realm as you, a 300b amp (ha300 mk2) and 2a3 amp (stratus v4). Don't know if ill keep both though. Right now im focusing on dynamic headphones.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #4,434 of 4,463
As I just wrote above yes people i know have mentioned that sus and dna is not a good pairing but I agree that could be due to many factors.

Right now I am not looking for ultra specific advice. I have just picked up stratus and am comparing it to my cayin and playing with a few dacs right now. I am sorry my questions are too general for you. Feel free to ignore them.
Understood, and no need for you to say sorry, It is only audio gear.

Hope you find the answers you’re looking for, whatever they ultimately become. For what it’s worth, I run the Stratus and a 300B amp for separate chains as each amp respond differently, though that is of no interest to you as you have indicated.

Good luck, you can understand normal thinking!

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #4,435 of 4,463

Hope you find the answers you’re looking for, whatever they ultimately become. For what it’s worth, I run the Stratus and a 300B amp for separate chains as each amp respond differently, though that is of no interest to you as you have indicated.

Say, do you know of anybody who has tried out the Stratus with ZMF Caldera? I did a search on this thread but didn't see any references. I sure wish there was a way to try out his headphones before buying....

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #4,436 of 4,463

Do you have stratus v4 or v3?

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #4,437 of 4,463
Say, do you know of anybody who has tried out the Stratus with ZMF Caldera? I did a search on this thread but didn't see any references. I sure wish there was a way to try out his headphones before buying....

I have a v3 Stratus and auditioned a Caldera at home for five days (and vs my ss amp, the Raal HSA 1b). I posted my impressions here. For brevity's sake, this is my key conclusion from the audition:

"Where the Caldera don’t quite appeal to me, sadly, is in their damped sound, which remained an issue with the Stratus and not just with the HSA 1b. The Caldera comes across as somewhat compressed, lacking in space, air, or openness. It’s also not as dynamic or hard-hitting as I’d like. And since the Caldera’s not a fast pair of headphones, the damping might combine with the slowness to make for some slight stuffiness. The Atrium has some of this damped, muffled quality, too—of course, they both use the same damping system—but the effect is less pronounced with the Atrium, in part because its headstage is more open and expansive and airy, and it has more slam.

I’ve read that the Caldera is quite picky when it comes to amp pairings; there’s a good chance I simply don’t have synergistic amps for it. For my preferences, I wonder if a more incisive, dynamic, and aggressive amp would work better. (It would be fun to try the Caldera from a Mjolnir 1 or 2, for instance)."

Now, this may well be a matter of personal priorities and preferences: I have a friend who loves his Caldera from his Stratus. The elements of the sound I disliked are important to me; if you prioritize tone, the Stratus and Caldera combination could well be excellent.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #4,439 of 4,463
Apr 28, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #4,440 of 4,463
Yes, quite a few with mixed results. I tried it when the Caldera was first launched, then again about a year later and I swear the two Caldera sounded very different from one another. Without offending anyone, the Caldera was a better match than trying to use the Susvara off the Stratus. My DNA amp friends, who own or tried the Caldera, felt similar to what @Tchoupitoulas posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back