Do you ever go through different bass-preference periods?
Feb 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been noticing very recently that certain headphones I once thought had too little bass for my preference now seem about right and others seem too bass heavy which I once really preferred.  I notice that my taste in bass impact changes a lot, sometimes even day to day.  Anyone else experience this?

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 13
I think as you become a better critical listener, you can spot bass problems easier. Before I got into this hifi audio stuff, my perspective of good sound was much different. I thought the physical force of the music was most important to me, the actual vibration intensity of the sound waves. I never really thought about soundstage, detail, tonality, uncolored until I got my first real hifi system and started hearing new things.  

I used to use EQ when I was like 12, loved messing with it. The first time I gave flat a chance, my impression was there was no weight to the music, no oomph. Now my tastes have grown and adapted (keyword: adapted) but I still like colored sound sometimes for non critical listening.  

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Is it possible the headphones could change, like a burn-in thing? Or maybe in a given period of time your average source material has a different amount and quality of bass than in a different period of time, so maybe it's not you after all. Just speculation.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 13
i definitely prefer much less bass now than i used to. i used to like XB500 and Brainwavz M2 quantity of bass... now i find my HD650's and Sleek Audio SA6's to have the perfect amount of bass.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #5 of 13
My experience has been the reverse of most here. I started out with bass-light earphones (CrossRoads MylarOne X3, Bijou 3, UM1, DT880) but have now moved to using IE8 on the go.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 13
I still love my bass. I do have my moods where sometimes a headphone has more bass than I'd like and then sometimes its not enough.

I'm digging the guilty pleasure known as the XB500 though. I'm doing everything I can to not splurge on them atm.

Feb 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Hey David,

I absolutely have that problem. I find almost all audiophile headphones too bright now. The more exposed I am to noise, the less sensitive I am to treble. And the reverse happens. The less music I listen to, the more sensitive I am to treble and I am VERY sensitive to treble now. Recently, my equalizer settings have been practically -10 db in treble. The only headphones I was able to tolerate at the Bay Area meet were the Stax Omega 2.

PS. I have a Stax Omega 2 on order =)

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 13
I definitely have this. Typically I'd picture myself as having the bass boost to the MAX, whereas it's 1 of 3 on my E7 - and for a good few songs I put it to 0! That being said I have a 12" sub in my car.. so maybe I have a balanced diet :p.

I think once you hear the clarity that good quality headphones present you're amazed by more than just the 'thump thump' lol.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 13
My bass prefers both how I perceive it and what I want to hear also changes like every day, this is why I save different EQ settings I use depending on my mood to satisfy my "daily needs" and what I listen to (can range anything from hardstyle/trance/dubstep to orchestra/slow ballads and so on). The bass settings can range from like -2 to +6 (compared to the average value taken out of the mids and highs).

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 13
I've touched on this before and come to the conclusion your hearing becomes neutral with the sound. Much like how your eyes have an auto white balance and can under colored light see and discern white. Back when I owned Denon D2000 for a period of time I enjoyed the bass initially and enjoyed the headphones for months. I then received a more neutral headphone which seemed anemic at first but after a few more listens I found it hard to go back to the Denons and ended up selling them.

From my time here I've gone from a bass head to a enjoying a perfectly balanced, perhaps neutral sound... just like graphic/interior designers know colors us audiophiles know sound. In short the more training your ears/eyes receive the better they get.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #12 of 13
I did start off with HD212Pro and D1001, but I kinda prefer a more detailed and neutral presentation anyway. I am some kind of treble loving freak and really care about sweet mids instead of most people's bass loving trait. Of course, complete lack of bass is a different problem. I was finding the D1001 overpowering once I have my better phones for a while and sold them.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 13
I'm going through one right now!  I tried listening to the relatively bass heavy HD202 a while a ago hated it. Now it's been a few days since I traded my AD700 with my friend's K240S. I was enjoying the bass for the first day but I found it very fatiguing after listening all day. Now the K240S seems just about right but on some songs I hate it. And every so often (this is over the past few days) I feel like the K240S has not enough bass. Sometimes I feel sound quality is just a delusion of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back