Does any budget IEM sound like the PortaPro?
Dec 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blownsi

100+ Head-Fier
Yes there are better phones but for the money and the fun I quite enjoy my PortaPros.  I'm looking for something with a similar sound but with isolation for an airplane.  I realize that I probably won't find them for $25 but I'd like to stay under $100 if possible.  I've owned two decent pairs of IEMs in the past and neither quite did it for me.  The triple-fi were awesome but were too large for my ear canals and the Ety MC5 seem to have no bass.  I've heard others recommend the HF5 but am not sure that's what I'm looking for here. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Try the MEElectronics M6 - very cheap but better sounding than I expected. Not much treble sparkle - they are somewhat dark, but they might give the bass.

For a much better IEM, there is the Shure SE215. Significantly more bass than the Etymotic HF2/HF5 (I own all of these).

You could also try something from the Klipsch line - they are more bassy IEMs.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 5
I also love my PortaPro, but award-winner, Soundmagic E10M, which I bought after reading those reviews, could not threaten them, no way.
Now I have my Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (90 EUR) I unintentionaly started to neglect my PortaPro a lot.

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 5
The Soundmagic ES18 for $13 sounds quite good. Those who have both the Soundmagic E10 and the ES18 claim they sound very similar, and that they likely have the same drivers. The enclosures on the ES18 are plastic, while those on the E10 are metal. The E10 is almost triple the price of the ES18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back