does ps1000 have that much more detail over grado rs1i
Nov 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I briefly heard the ps1000 and had the gs1000 for a while and have the rs1i.
I don't care that the ps1000 has more bass and it's obvious that it will have more soundstage due to the larger pads.  But does it have that much more detail.
I know because of the jumbo pads, the details in the ps1000 will seem more apparent because the jumbo pads tend to eccentuate the details and also with larger soundstage bring more detail separation.  But does the ps1000 have that much more detail to make the purchase worthwhile over the rs1i.

For now, when i get the need for soundstage pop in the jumbo on the rs1 and turn up the midrange and turn down the treble on my vintage receiver.
So please ps1000 owners, what is your opinion.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 7
In my opinion, the PS1000 kills the RS1i mainly in space and transparency, not in detail. (There's only so much detail to be revealed in the first place, isn't there?)

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I briefly heard the ps1000 and had the gs1000 for a while and have the rs1i.
I don't care that the ps1000 has more bass and it's obvious that it will have more soundstage due to the larger pads.  But does it have that much more detail...

So please ps1000 owners, what is your opinion.

Yes. Compared to RS1, PS1000 is in another league and a half in terms of clarity and ability to resolve low level information. It is a real improvement, not just a minor enhancement - meaning that it will cause you suffering (in terms of detail retrieval and clarity) when go you back to RS1.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 7
One reason for the difference in detail is the difference in pads.  Bowls, flats and comfies provide warmth - and the smaller the pad the better its ability to harness and harvest what bass is there - but they mute the HF response.  There's a layer of air you miss because the pads are sealing in the bass (It gets worse if you switch to something like a pleather doughnut, which is one reason some of those bass-heavy headphones have such muted treble).  The GS1000 and PS1000 have to compensate for the bass loss inherent in widening the reception area with circumaural jumbos.  That's one reason the GS1000 and the PS1000 have such accentuated bass (through bigger shells and increased driver venting).  The RS1 tries to compensate for the bowls by spiking the high mids, which creates the perception of increased HF, but there are details at the twilight spot in the spectrum that are lost with the bowls and which can't be retrieved by simply spiking the high mids.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 7
We have to establish the difference between natural detail and enhanced detail. This always gets lost (or misunderstood, or unaccepted) at Head-Fi.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
We have to establish the difference between natural detail and enhanced detail. This always gets lost (or misunderstood, or unaccepted) at Head-Fi.

Beagle, you mind talk more about this?  what's the difference between natural detail and enhanced detail? 

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:

Yes. Note that I try not to use the word detail but rather terms such as clarity and ability to resolve low level information.  The word detail can be rather meaningless or misunderstood.

Quote:
... what's the difference between natural detail and enhanced detail? 

Real-life example (YMMV and for illustrative purposes):

The Sony X1061 has a very warm sound which makes the "details" (gross details) less obvious compared to a say an Apple 7G (or 6.2G) iPod Classic which has a bright treble that tends to bring out the "details" (gross details).

Upon closer listening, the Sony X1061 is able to present subtle details (soft distinct images of reverberation, individual grains of noise in the recording, some random dude coughing the background, etc.) that the 7G iPod Classic in unable to reproduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back