Does the T50rp sound good unmodded?
Oct 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious if they do or if the only way to get good sound out of them is modding them. What are the major differences after modding them?

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 15
for me it was a total transformation. Everything gets way better. Vocal clarity is outstanding. These are incredibly non-fatiguing after mod. Stock is just very dark, veiled, and muddy. Best part is they are easy to mod, just need some patience.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
for me it was a total transformation. Everything gets way better. Vocal clarity is outstanding. These are incredibly non-fatiguing after mod. Stock is just very dark, veiled, and muddy. Best part is they are easy to mod, just need some patience.

what would you say causes them to sound like that prior to modding? poorly damped enclosures? just curious.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
what would you say causes them to sound like that prior to modding? poorly damped enclosures? just curious.

The plastic can housing has a horrible resonance.  If it wasn't for the ortho drivers and the ability to mod them, they would've died a quick death long ago. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 15
for the most part, yes, you nailed it. It just irons out many of the resonance problems inside the cup. BlueMonkeyFlyer is the expert on T50RP and can give you the best detailed answer.

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 15
I've had my T50RP for 4 days now and I think the sound is fantastic out of box.  I dont seem to notice any resonance or reverberation in the plastic housing.  The sound is very natural, detailed with lots of body.  The sound is very smooth and it's very easy to pick out individual instruments even in complex piece of music.  I do notice a slight dip in the midrange compared to my K240DF, another very detailed and neutral headphone.  I am running them off my BCL fead by a Halide DAC HD, and it all sounds wonderful.  I'm interested in upgrading the stock earpads to something more comfortable otherwise I'm very satisfied with the sound of T50RP.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 15
I'm with tdogzthmn ; already sounds pretty good stock.  Sock pads do have to go tho.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 15
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Modded properly, the T50RP is a wonderful can, but out of the box it is very colored sounding and resonates like crazy. The newer ones seem slightly better than older ones in this regard, but they really benefit from damping. They also do not have much low or high end extension out of the box at all - that is what takes the real work as a modder -to get both at once!

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 15
I went to Demo the stock T50RP (unamped) and the quality was decent. Most of the owners agree that it sounds like a new beast when modded, like a headphone 3x its value

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 15
I feel compelled to clarify I at least didn't mean to imply 'stock' sounded superior to mod'ed.  Only I thought it was better than I was led to believe and didn't feel it's wasted money until mod'ed.  I also later realized I always use +2 or +4 bass and/or treble (depending on what the program material warranted ) from my FiiO DAC/Amp, so that surely factors in to 'sweetening-up' and affecting their 'stock' sound.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
I went to Demo the stock T50RP (unamped) and the quality was decent. Most of the owners agree that it sounds like a new beast when modded, like a headphone 3x its value

Quote:
Well guys, i recently got the Mad dogs and i must say that is a huge jump in terms of sound over the stock one. 

I auditioned the Mad Dogs @ the NYC Audio Show today, and ended-up buying yet another $300 headphone!  Jackwess hit the nail on the head w/that one [mention of 3x] as I paid $100 for my stock set.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 15
I'd like to revise my statements... I just blew the dust off my Little Dot III+ amp; rated at 3.5w @ 8 ohms [has speaker terminals] and 1w @ 120 ohms; so capable of around 2w @ 50 ohms of the MD.  And I must say I had no clue what the MadDogs were capable of before!  And when I plugged the stock T50rp I have into it after listening to something with the MadDogs the comparison was comical; yes, I sure hear the resonance everyone was mentioning.  When driven at 100 milli-watts and tone control used to boost both treble and bass I thought stock was 'ok'.  And at 100mw, it sorta is in that manner.  But if you crank-up the power and give a watt or two, yep, stock is unbearable..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back