dongle with least power drain for fullsized portable (low impedance) headphones
Dec 20, 2023 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this, i am using a pee52 (a&k) and it seems to run down the battery on my kindle fire much more rapidly than the headphone out?

thanks

d

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 3
I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this, i am using a pee52 (a&k) and it seems to run down the battery on my kindle fire much more rapidly than the headphone out?

thanks

d
I do not have the PEE52 but my Astell & Kern PEE51 uses a quite high amount of power from the host/phone given that it is only a single-ended DACAmp with moderately high output power. Playing music with a relatively sensitive low Ohm headphone, it draws about 0.15 A at 5V ( 0.75 W) or more from my PC which is really high for a dongle and it also gets warm. I guess the A&K dongles are simply very inefficient. But it is natural that the extra piece of gear (including USB-Audio signal handling etc.) consumes more power than the (low quality/low power) internal components of your tablet alone - in this case it is just significant more than many other modern dongle-DACs.

EDIT: for comparison, the inexpensive and balanced Moondrop Dawn Pro draws about 0.4 W - of course the sound quality may be considered quite different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back