Drop BMR1 Nearfield Monitor Speakers
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 46
Meh, tried the whole micro monitor desktop setup, even Genelec 8010s were disappointing. IMO for a desk rig you need to go big or go for headphones…

Harbeth p3esrxd
JLd108
Chord Qutest
Naim SuperUniti
WiiM mini.
You have a beautiful setup, and a large desk. Might as well include the model of your desk, and brands of room treatments! Is that a Steelcase Amia chair? I'm looking into getting a WiiM, but not for my computer desk (and I still haven't decided if the Coax output is worth getting the Pro or Mini :frowning2: ).

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #19 of 46
What's the power consumption?
I'll ask if there are other details, but from the specs it looks like it will usually consume just 15W (So, not as powerful as a floor standing tower speaker, but about 4x as power efficient as an incandescent light bulb).
  • RMS Power = 15W
  • Peak Power = 30W
  • Power Consumption (Idle) = <0.5 W

(in case you are wondering why an American is awake at this hour... I woke up thirsty! But I'm going back to sleep, and I'll be back on Head-Fi later)

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #20 of 46
When a company chooses no EU store, there may be a reason.

That's very nice. Anyway, a lot of what is sold on drop is made in Europe like Sennheiser, Beyer, plenty more. Are the logistics easier to ship products across the ocean than to sell them a few hundred KM away? Hifman has a warehouse here, so I guess drop could do it.

And make no mistake, even when the drop store was here we still paid way more than you heros who saved our countries (yeaaaah) because we ate the taxes, not drop.

Have a nice day.

The topic does keep coming up, and Drop is aware of the desire for multinational expansion (again). There were some plans that changed when the pandemic started, but Drop hasn't forgotten about their EU customers.

We're pals but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. No matter what anybody says, the years have gone by after the EU store closed. They have forgotten Europe in any meaningful sense.

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 46
We're pals but we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. No matter what anybody says, the years have gone by after the EU store closed. They have forgotten Europe in any meaningful sense.
Thanks friend. You know I’m listening to you, and I’m talking to Drop about what you’re talking about. Never say never!

Jan 7, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #22 of 46
Here is the behind the scenes look and development story for the BMR1, and some hints about the 2023 customizable options Drop is exploring for the grilles.
FCFF90D4-EACD-401A-AE8E-BF6D5FE27C06.jpeg

(This look is not the final or only option, but one example of how they might look)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 46
Here is the behind the scenes look and development story for the BMR1, and some hints about the 2023 customizable options Drop is exploring for the grilles.

(This look is not the final or only option, but one example of how they might look)
Interesting reading. I may get one of BMR speakers a try. I saw preorder starts 1/31,

▶︎any idea when can we expect for the final deliveries at our door step?

▶︎Any idea of diaphragm material?

▶︎For customizable grille, is there any white grille options? Need a little accent.

As I have little needs for home audio, and currently using that mid-tier Audioengine for TV, or I hook headphones/IEMs for better SQ.

This probably would fit well for a work- from-home desktop workstations🤔

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 46
Any chance to add a sub-out or a bridge too far?
There is a confirmed sub output port!

Interesting reading. I may get one of BMR speakers a try. I saw preorder starts 1/31,

▶︎any idea when can we expect for the final deliveries at our door step?

▶︎Any idea of diaphragm material?

▶︎For customizable grille, is there any white grille options? Need a little accent.

As I have little needs for home audio, and currently using that mid-tier Audioengine for TV, or I hook headphones/IEMs for better SQ.

This probably would fit well for a work- from-home desktop workstations🤔

There’s a bit of a warehouse logistics issue that delayed things to our current estimate… DROP is aiming for a late February/March delivery date. Don’t want to over promise before we get the clearest picture, but the design of the speakers is done, and it won’t be 4 months or more of waiting.

I’ll have to double back on the diaphragm material (if it’s not already mentioned in the “dev story” linked above).

I like the idea of a little accent as well. A plain black option was probably always going to be on offer due to popularity, but there is the potential for several grille designs to be released throughout the year in different aesthetics, allowing the user to customize (like picking out mechanical key colors). In fact, Drop is hoping people will share their ideas here: https://drop.com/talk/122266/entering-the-desktop-speaker-category?referer=Z2JXCA

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 46
There is a confirmed sub output port!

There’s a bit of a warehouse logistics issue that delayed things to our current estimate… DROP is aiming for a late February/March delivery date. Don’t want to over promise before we get the clearest picture, but the design of the speakers is done, and it won’t be 4 months or more of waiting.

I’ll have to double back on the diaphragm material (if it’s not already mentioned in the “dev story” linked above).

I like the idea of a little accent as well. A plain black option was probably always going to be on offer due to popularity, but there is the potential for several grille designs to be released throughout the year in different aesthetics, allowing the user to customize (like picking out mechanical key colors). In fact, Drop is hoping people will share their ideas here: https://drop.com/talk/122266/entering-the-desktop-speaker-category?referer=Z2JXCA
Thanks!

In the product intro, it says options for satellite subwoofer, which I’m not planning to use. Have you tried the prototype and felt in serious need for a subwoofer?

As it’s designed for near-field, I hope those speakers would suffice the needs without additional subwoofers.

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #27 of 46
Thanks!

In the product intro, it says options for satellite subwoofer, which I’m not planning to use. Have you tried the prototype and felt in serious need for a subwoofer?

As it’s designed for near-field, I hope those speakers would suffice the needs without additional subwoofers.
I was recently informed that DROP intends to send me a sample, so I can test it out and answer questions from experience for all of you.

The frequency range of just the “sticks” in the listed specs (first post) doesn’t promise the deepest sub bass, however a lot of music and media content doesn’t make a lot of use of sub-80 Hz frequencies. I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t listen to dubstep and pipe organs all day! But watching YouTube, playing a game, I would appreciate the inherent imaging performance of these speakers.

I heard back from the collaborations manager, he says the driver itself is a treated paper on a honeycomb structure, with a Neodymium magnet.

Early impressions from CES called it “seriously punchy sound”, someone reached out to me privately to share that they thought the tech is really neat, moves a lot of air.

I look forward to hearing these myself and having more specific things to say, probably some music tests with notes :)

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #28 of 46
You read my mind. I remember when Drop closed the EU store promising to open a new one better than ever.

Really?
I often comment on reality.

Why would an enterprising entity forego a market, unless it wasn't productive?

Europe, along with the US, and many more markets are going to see lean times this year.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #29 of 46
Europe, along with the US, and many more markets are going to see lean times this year.
Fair enough, and DROP probably won't invest in a new warehouse and distribution center in the EU in time for the BMR1 (they're still trying to sort out a few issues with the systems at their current US site), so for the near future they will be like other US-based companies that offer international shipping. A new expansion branch of DROP would definitely merit its own announcement thread.

But for now, the topic is desktop speakers. And fortunately, the goal is to produce small speakers that can challenge the 10-year category leading "companion" speakers at a better price.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #30 of 46
I was recently informed that DROP intends to send me a sample, so I can test it out and answer questions from experience for all of you.

The frequency range of just the “sticks” in the listed specs (first post) doesn’t promise the deepest sub bass, however a lot of music and media content doesn’t make a lot of use of sub-80 Hz frequencies. I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t listen to dubstep and pipe organs all day! But watching YouTube, playing a game, I would appreciate the inherent imaging performance of these speakers.

I heard back from the collaborations manager, he says the driver itself is a treated paper on a honeycomb structure, with a Neodymium magnet.

Early impressions from CES called it “seriously punchy sound”, someone reached out to me privately to share that they thought the tech is really neat, moves a lot of air.

I look forward to hearing these myself and having more specific things to say, probably some music tests with notes :)
Thanks! Sounds interesting, hopefully they solve the logistics issue soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back