DROP + HIFIMAN HE-R7DX CLOSED-BACK LAUNCH
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 49
As a brand HIFIMAN tends to do a lot of development and testing of new materials and processes. The dynamic drivers used in these headphones were an evolution of a driver originally designed for an IEM which was later scaled up to the larger 50mm version used in the R7DX.
Understood. However, I believe Drop has a couple different offerings:
  • Drop branded and designed, Drop exclusive product - for example Panda headphones
    • Price - whatever Drop decides since there is no other equivalent
    • Value proposition - bringing a product to market that does not currently exist but covers the must have features and price point that Drop community wants.
  • Drop "tuned" version of an existing product - for example HD8XX headphones
    • Price - lower than MSRP of the existing product, but not an apples-to-apples comparison since XX version has different parts/tuning
    • Value proposition - a lower priced derivative of a popular existing product, but tuned/tweaked based on feedback from the Drop community
  • Drop group buy of an existing product that is same as retail - for example HD800 S headphones
    • Price - lower than MSRP
    • Value proposition - straight up lower discount than offered elsewhere for the same product
I don't see where the R7DX fits:
  • Drop branded, exclusive - did the Drop community ask for a low priced dynamic headphone from Hifiman?
  • Drop "tuned" - you specifically did not say that R7DX is a tuned version of the R9 that sells for $599. I don't see another dynamic driver headphone in a lower price point.
  • Drop group buy - No R7DX on the Hifiman store

Is R7DX a new category of "manufacturer has a lot of left over parts and puts together a product to clear out inventory?" Nothing wrong with that, but I have to ask again how much "collaboration" did you guys do for a $149 headphone? Understand, that the skepticism would have been the same had you offered a collaboration with Sennheiser for a planar headphone at $149. Of course one can only judge by the sound/performance of any headphone, but at the same time, I would hate to see Drop become a dumping ground of failed products. Especially in cases where Drop is pushing a brand that sells >$5K headphones.

Jan 22, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 49
As a brand HIFIMAN tends to do a lot of development and testing of new materials and processes. The dynamic drivers used in these headphones were an evolution of a driver originally designed for an IEM which was later scaled up to the larger 50mm version used in the R7DX.
I hope they make an iem soon too

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #23 of 49
Can we send a pair to ASR for review and measurement please?
Why not send to someone with ears like Crinacle or Guttenberg or Butterworth?

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #24 of 49
Drop branded, exclusive - did the Drop community ask for a low priced dynamic headphone from Hifiman?
I think Drop is trying to bridge the cap where there is no "budget but great" closed back headphones. Where there's easily tons of "budget but great" open back headphone from Drop collaborations. All the drop collab closed back are in the $400+ price tier.

Somehow they figure dynamic driver closed back from Hifiman is the answer....... I feel like probably would've made more sense if they just made a closed HE4XX or something..... or even closed Deva....... I don't know.
Is R7DX a new category of "manufacturer has a lot of left over parts and puts together a product to clear out inventory?"
Yeah...... does feel that way, HE4XX headband, Deva frame, HE-R10 driver (supposedly)...... maybe HE-R10 is not selling that well so they want to recoup some of the development cost by putting it somewhere?

I mean this is all speculation so I could be wrong.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #29 of 49
Aye...But is it like an orange on a toothpick?!
HEED! Move, NOW!

Lol actually from what I've read / seen it looks like it's one of the few headphone that actually have headband that hugs around your head. So ideally it should have zero hotspot.

I'm not sold on the FR but the comfort seems good from what I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back