Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
May 10, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #196 of 390
I wonder if that balanced cabled can be used with their other headphones?

May 11, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #197 of 390
Ooh just got word my replacement set has shipped! I've been waiting to leave a review for the Signature X for this to arrive, so I'm excited to see how the new pads fit, etc.

May 11, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #198 of 390
Also received the notification from Drop that stock was available for purchase again. Very excited to listen to these and see how much they differ from the Pulse. Those thick pads also look incredibly comfortable. Wonder how they'll affect the sound vs the original pads.

May 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #199 of 390
Also received the notification from Drop that stock was available for purchase again. Very excited to listen to these and see how much they differ from the Pulse. Those thick pads also look incredibly comfortable. Wonder how they'll affect the sound vs the original pads.
didnt realize they updated the photos, man those look THICK. I hope it doesnt make it sound even darker than it is already, but it probably will lol

May 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #200 of 390
didnt realize they updated the photos, man those look THICK. I hope it doesnt make it sound even darker than it is already, but it probably will lol

Oh my, that's indeed some thicc pads right there. Almost reminds me of thickness of my Sony XB500 pads. Curious to know what it does to the sound, the pads seem to play such a vital part for these headphones. :)

I got a notification a little while ago my pair has been shipped!

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #201 of 390
The new pads look a lot like the velour ones on the upcoming Signature Pure. Going to be great to have various official Ultrasone pads to swap around, assuming they're interchangeable.

sig pure pads-COLLAGE.jpg
sig pure pads 2-COLLAGE.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #202 of 390
Yeah those new pads are massive lol. Look comfortable. Hopefully won’t impact the original sound too much, which I do still enjoy. Or maybe they're better?!

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #203 of 390
I wonder about pure. That's the interesting one for me. Could it be the same drivers but velour pads? They are 50 mm as well and apparently based off the sig DJ.

Could just be a variation of sorts but it's half the price... Don't really know with these things.

May 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #204 of 390
I wonder about pure. That's the interesting one for me. Could it be the same drivers but velour pads? They are 50 mm as well and apparently based off the sig DJ.

Could just be a variation of sorts but it's half the price... Don't really know with these things.
If I was to guess, I'd say it's some sort of variation of the X, made more readily available for the EU market as opposed to the X. No fancy case and just a single cable to keep costs down. Time will tell. Excited to try both either way :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #205 of 390
For those of you that got your replacements in, are you able to check to see if the balanced cable works with Ultrasone's other headphones that use the same bayonet connector cable?

May 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #208 of 390
Man I hate import laws or I'd rather say the taxation laws are from hell over here.

I have to pay same amount import fees for my replacement pair, which accounts to 59€ ~= $63,70 with today's exchange rate.

Reason: Only if I would have to return my 1st pair and prove it by declaring a shipping or tracking code or similar for the returning product in the customs declaration I wouldn't have to pay for the 2nd product. It's also not a repair service as that also is seen as the same product being sent in for repair. It cannot also be declared as a gift as in Finland only private customers can send gifts, products from a company will always have to pay the custom fees (24% VAT) according the value of the product irrelevant if it was sent for free or not. I shouldn't be complaining and I'm not complaining at all at drop.com which have done something out of the ordinary here, just disappointed at how the import/taxation rules are. :older_man:

EDIT: I can however apply for a correction afterwards for the "defective" product at which I may or may not get some/all of the tax refunded, I imagine this is probably similar for other EU members so that's why I'm sharing if someone else is wondering about the same thing.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #209 of 390
Loving my replacement set I received, it's reborn and very well tuned sound out of box. I put YAXI Stpad2 on the original set and use it for casual listening (less bassy, clear, and less dark sound).

I won't try the included 4.4mm balance cable as I doubt the headphone side has ground lines separated which may damage my DAC/AMP (iFi DIablo). I hope some can correct me.

https://twitter.com/taike_hk/status/1661648332626997248?t=zjGpEzFjrjmgxQgMa5k33w&s=19

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #210 of 390
Recieved the new pair today and gotta say the new pads works very well like previously said but like someone also stated also the creaking at least on this pair is noticeably less than on the 1st pair so feels like they've at least tried to adress it somehow, only when putting them on I'll hear a bit of creaking and once on the head I can shake my head very vigorously and it doesn't creak so that's nice as well.

From my initial impression just straight from my memory I'd say the new pads slightly balances out the highs and sound more natural throughout the range, meanwhile I heard a peak before on the standard pads meanwhile being somewhat below what I'd consider neutral in the rest of the highs range where it doesn't peak. With the new pads in general it seems to be quite close to what I'd consider neutral in average amplitude and I hear no obvious peak, the EDM tracks I'm familiar the lead and vocals sounds like I'm used to hearing them on my previous "go-to" headphone. The bass seem to get slightly more powerful with the new pads as well but that's slightly trickier to confirm, overall though it keeps punchy good controlled behavior for the volume it packs. The soundstage takes a more laid-back approach without pushing it too far back into becoming boring, I think this makes the midrange seem as less in-your-face but I prefer it this way, it's now closer to ^-- (bass>mids~=highs) sound signature if it was a slight amount closer to ^-_ (bass>mids>highs) shape before. The isolation is crazily good as well, at least as good if not slightly better even.

This is just straight out the box, typically when pads settle in it will only improve the sound, I'd imagine that might effect soundstaging in particular to move it more "forward" sounding which personally I wouldn't mind but I do already enjoy it the way it is, over the previous pads the increased laid-backness definitely helps it, probably the correct placement of the DDF or whatever it is called makes the imaging seem more precise as well but I'll need to test games with Dolby Atmos for headphones to be able to better judge there.

Overall very pleased with the pads, I was using Shure SRH440 pads on my other pair which had a slightly brighter sound (a bit too peaky in the treble, but otherwise decent), these are much more balanced in the highs range and slightly less "in-your-face" sounding and somewhat more powerful bass.

EDIT: Just listening to random videos this Hardstyle kick at 3:51 forward sounds very impressive on this headphone with these pads, it's a very close to authentic feel to a well tuned EDM festival speaker setup in the way the kick hits you with that full deep bass and the punch at the same time, the perfect balance of both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back