DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
May 5, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #946 of 977
I love that and will check them out. I pooh poohed someone’s suggestion of a tempered glass protector because it comes with one (four actually) but they’re just plastic and now, after having slid the thing in the green leather case and watched the corner of the protector repeatedly lift up, I’m interested in both a different case and also a tempered glass protector that fits the DX260.

Any leads?
I don't have any leads on tempered glass protectors. I can recommend the case, the lid is magnetized so it protects the display quite well

May 5, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #947 of 977
I love that and will check them out. I pooh poohed someone’s suggestion of a tempered glass protector because it comes with one (four actually) but they’re just plastic and now, after having slid the thing in the green leather case and watched the corner of the protector repeatedly lift up, I’m interested in both a different case and also a tempered glass protector that fits the DX260.

Any leads?
I've used this company for custom sized DX240 protectors https://www.protectionfilms24.com/custom-sizes.html

May 5, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #948 of 977
on a personal note: I work in the wider field related to acoustics and hearing, but I am not a sound engineer, nor have I experience with designing and implementing filters. I work on the "hardware", especially on the implementation of medicinal drugs for restoring hearing pathologies from a pharmacological point of view... so take my impressions of FIR filters with a grain of salt. :wink::

I don't apply any FIR filters. ...from a pure practical point of view, and not mathematical, here's why:
one of the most relevant things FIR filers do is making a frequency response curve smoother. E.g. smoothening the low, and high FQs. The higher the filter value, the more "smoothness" you get from a digital signal (where time and frequency are principally linked). Another by-product is to filter out a potentially present digital noise-floor.... all at the cost of quite significant processing power, resulting in higher temperatures and battery power consumption.

What does that mean for us audiophiles with good gear?

When you don't need FIR:
a) if you have a well developed DAC implementation in your source gear, there's likely no audible noise floor by the source itself > so no FIR needed
b) if you're happy with your FQ-response curve of your headphones (or source gear as well), why would you like to smooth things out? > no FIR needed

When you still would benefit from FIR:
a) if you have crappy recordings, or some not so good live recordings, a FIR filter could do some magic there
b) if any gear in your chain produces noise, applying FIR might give better results.
c) if you have a somewhat analytical headphone where you get psychoacoustically annoyed by fatiguing highs, you can try FIR.... but
...d) be aware that also the bass response might get more "muddy" (in terms of reduced frequency separation... which is now smoothened out by the FIR, but you wanted it^^).

But again, from a psychoacoustic point of view, you get the impression that there might be a tad bit more bass and more rolled off highs and your acoustic impression turned into something all so slightly warmer. In general, don't expect FIR filtering to have a massive impact, IMHO it is for sure audible, but still relatively subtle. It's just to average out some FQ response peaks in the time domain, that's all.
Not sure if anyone here knows about video game anti aliasing solutions but FIR sounds like the audio equivalent of TAA. Ie it smooths/blurs out everything by averaging samples in the temporal domain, be it peaks, dynamics or details.

It ruins the dap imo which is why I'm curious if anyone actually uses/likes it.

May 5, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #949 of 977
I see it quite the same as you do. In the DX260 the FIR filter banks are purely optional. You can use 2x or 4x, but you can also choose to use "normal", which I interpret either as a basic linear phase FIR with N=1 (with the smallest tap length which still makes sense) or does "normal" mean that there is no FIR filter at all? Who knows? Nevertheless I use "normal".

Whereas by nature of DA processing, the standard and mandatory FQ response filters, the "roll-off filters", one discreet filter you must select of course.

With good source material, and to get the highest possible dynamics out of a well developed and well integrated system, I go for D1, the fast/sharp roll-off (with no delay). Why?

D1 (clearly is a Linear Phase filter) is able to give the highest possible extended and natural frequency response in a DAC system. Yes, optically, if you look what D1 does, it looks like there's some pre- and post ringing*. Believe me, this type of "ringing" is, since many years of DAC/DAP development, a thing of the past and no longer audible... not with the best of human ears at least (we don't have really good ears among all vertebrates btw :smile:).

*They are considered to be minor artefacts, because the sound is bandwidth limited when the sound signal was originally digitized in the recording studio... BUT in a DAC, it is not being bandwidth limited by nature, so, "fast or sharp roll-off" should be your go-to filter in the first place.

EDIT: oh god, it was D1 on iBasso, not F1

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #950 of 977
Friends,
for almost the same price (maybe a difference of €100) which of these 2 would you get and why?

Sony NW-WM1AM2 Uncapped version
X
Cayin N7 .

I'm asking this question here because the DX260 is also on my radar, but I may stretch my budget to purchase one of the other two above mentioned Daps.

Would you do this?
What will I gain in terms of sound quality by investing in these other more expensive DAPs?

Important information: I will not play DSD. I just PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.

May 10, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #951 of 977
Friends,
for almost the same price (maybe a difference of €100) which of these 2 would you get and why?

X
Cayin N7 .

I'm asking this question here because the DX260 is also on my radar, but I may stretch my budget to purchase one of the other two above mentioned Daps.

Would you do this?
What will I gain in terms of sound quality by investing in these other more expensive DAPs?

Important information: I will not play DSD. I just PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.
DX260 size and weight is a huge plus vs the other 2.

Sound wise, Sony sounds clean and dynamic with good note weight. Amazing battery life and it offers the most options to help shape the sound. But its not bit perfect for streaming, doesn't have a line out. N7 I found ungainly and awkward to hold. The sound to me is very musical (being 1bit dac) but i personally felt dynamics could be more exciting. DX260 sound-stage and extension is good, and resolution probably better than the other 2 (from memory). But i wish the note weight was thicker. I use it mostly as a transport into D16 so I was more concerned with size, weight and its coax output.

Considering my preferences are for thicker note and more dynamics, i would opt for the Sony if just for a DAP.

May 10, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #952 of 977

Sound wise, Sony sounds clean and dynamic with good note weight. Amazing battery life and it offers the most options to help shape the sound. But its not bit perfect for streaming, doesn't have a line out. N7 I found ungainly and awkward to hold. The sound to me is very musical (being 1bit dac) but i personally felt dynamics could be more exciting. DX260 sound-stage and extension is good, and resolution probably better than the other 2 (from memory). But i wish the note weight was thicker. I use it mostly as a transport into D16 so I was more concerned with size, weight and its coax output.

Considering my preferences are for thicker note and more dynamics, i would opt for the Sony if just for a DAP.
I like the cleaner sound of the DX260 and the Sony doesn't have very good power.

May 10, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #953 of 977
Friends,

X
Cayin N7 .

Would you do this?

If you have Elite, neither of these will be an upgrade (even if, in the case of the N7, it will be negligible and the dynamics will be weaker on Cayin). Dont waste your money on daps unless you find one in a very good price. Just my honest opinion.

May 10, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #954 of 977

I like the cleaner sound of the DX260 and the Sony doesn't have very good power.
If you have Elite, neither of these will be an upgrade (even if, in the case of the N7, it will be negligible and the dynamics will be weaker on Cayin). Dont waste your money on daps unless you find one in a very good price. Just my honest opinion.
Thank you friends!!
Your answer will help me make a better decision. Maybe I have to make more use of what I already have... good dongles... the DC-Elite is a great dongle... I also like the Gold Bar... and I still have a DX300 that is working very well... very responsive and on battery Still very good... the desire to keep buying and changing products often makes us forget the main thing in this hobby, which is enjoying music!!
These headfi threads can be a risk for our wallet.. 😂

May 10, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #955 of 977
Thank you friends!!
Your answer will help me make a better decision. Maybe I have to make more use of what I already have... good dongles... the DC-Elite is a great dongle... I also like the Gold Bar... and I still have a DX300 that is working very well... very responsive and on battery Still very good... the desire to keep buying and changing products often makes us forget the main thing in this hobby, which is enjoying music!!
These headfi threads can be a risk for our wallet.. 😂
Thats true. Im actually in the process of reduction. After having AK sp1000 and sp 2000 paired with the u12t and the Odin (this one very short period of time because it was too aggressive to my ears), i didnt find any benefits in having such an expensive equipment for the go. It just doesnt make sense.
Im selling most of my stuff and purchased the most musical iem ive ever heard- Xelento 2 which isnt source dependent at all. It sounds warm and tube-like and it gives a very immersive, spacious sound with every source i plug it into. Im now using Hiby R3 II with it and its all i need.

May 11, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #956 of 977
Friends,

X
Cayin N7 .

Would you do this?

If you want dynamics the M15S is the undisputed champion (so far) in its price range and then some.

As for the WM1A M2 vs DX260 I would personally go with the DX260, the sound is more refined, more nuanced and detailed. Soundstage is also bigger.

I tried the DC Elite for a short while and didn't like it's flat soundstage, it was quite bad, making it's detail unenjoyable imo.

What app did you use with it? I used usb audio player pro.

May 11, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #957 of 977
Dc elite, flat soundstage? I peed my pants laughing so much...
If you want dynamics the M15S is the undisputed champion (so far) in its price range and then some.

As for the WM1A M2 vs DX260 I would personally go with the DX260, the sound is more refined, more nuanced and detailed. Soundstage is also bigger.

I tried the DC Elite for a short while and didn't like it's flat soundstage, it was quite bad, making it's detail unenjoyable imo.

May 11, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #958 of 977
Dc elite, flat soundstage? I peed my pants laughing so much...
Yeah, I also don't think it should sound like that at all, that's why I'm asking for advice.

I'm all ears if you have any.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #959 of 977

I use only UAPP and the Elites soundstage is more impressive than on the m15s imho. There is ample amount of air on the Elite, its almost huge. Maybe your impressions of flatter soundstage are related to the strong midrange dynamics on the Elite. The m15s is slightly laid back in the midrange which creates an illusion of depth, like on some U shaped iems.
There is one problem with the Elite tho- its sounds different with each portable source i try. In the last week ive been able to try Hiby me300, Hiby r3II, AK sp1000 and compare it to the pairing with my PC and Samsung s20.
When it comes to the portable sources, only the Samsung is able to reproduce the exactly same sound that im getting from the Elite/PC combo.
Elite paired with both Hibys sounds thinner, sharper, narrower and it lacks body and warmth.
With the AK, all the good things are back but the trebles are slightly sharp. Sp1000 isnt the best sounding when used as a digital source, just too analytical.
From my PC and Samsung, the Elite has body, deep bass, expansive soundstage and smooth trebles. It sounds like a high quality desktop rig.
I find it more impressive than the m15s which was very nice but sounded bit grayish and was flat in microdynamics, like i was just getting a basic sound of a very good quality but nothing special. Even the trebles, although smooth, had remnants of typical ESS digitality. The Elite's trebles are very natural and organic, like i remember from the dx320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back