EAR HP-4 : are you experienced ?
Jan 9, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 61
revamping the thread

I've been with the Ear hp-4 for quite a time now.
I've had to tuberoll it a bit ( some cash again on ) , and to couple different Ics too to match the Wadia sonic signature , where I thought that I would have never left the Jenving Supra Eff Ics .

It is true , this amp is a very good , equlibrated and versatile machine .
I've never had and heard something that drives the ps-1 so well. It finally does them some justice .

I just can't seem to desire anything more then this at the moment .
My system is eating rock , pop , folk , blues , jazz and some classic too with ease and I'm not going through my library to test here and there , I just throw in the music I want to listen and to take pleasure from .

I'm not going to upgrade amp anytime soon , and for the very first time in my headphone amp exp. I feel this heavy thing will very likely remain here for more then "some" time ; this if wallet will allow it .

Btw the amp drives very nicely also the recabled hd600 in the high-z plug , just when I'm need for some more stage space ( for ex. for classic ) that for the moment is just what I could ever desire more then when using the ps-1 with it

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #33 of 61
There really is something about an amp, that after so much time, can still remain on top when so many new amps have flooded the market. It is one of the only true SET amps available for headphones; it is built like a tank; it is versatile (2 low Z and two high Z outputs) and backed by one of the most well-known companies in this hobby.

At this level of the game, one doesn't really get better, one gets different. That is something quite nice to realize, because unless one does substantial listening to other gear of the same scale, one can easily "retire" from the hobby unless electrostats are appealing. So far, no electrostat has enticed me enough to dive into that area of the hobby, but perhaps upon hearing the HE90's (or the upcoming Omega III's) I will think differently, but for now...I have my sights on the R10's and that should be it (well, I guess an uber SP amp to go with them).

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 61
Here’s the insides and a schematic:

DSCN2296.JPG

ear1.jpg

Large schematic:

http://photo.head-fi.org/data/639/ear1.jpg

Mitch

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #38 of 61
I don't have the schematics, but as far as I know and what's said at the own EAR's site:

Quote:

Tim de Paravicini has long had a worldwide reputation for valve preamplifiers and
power amplifiers. Now he has applied his expertise to produce what is arguably the
world’s finest headphone amplifier aimed at the highest quality dynamic headphones.

The HP4 uses 6SL7 valves, properly matched to the load through de Paravicini’s
renowned transformers, to deliver nearly 1W of high quality, low distortion power into
high or low impedance headphones. The output circuit configuration uses de
Paravicini’s ‘Enhanced Triode Mode’, as employed in the highly successful V20 and
859 integrated amplifiers
, while the input is also transformer coupled, giving the
flexibility to accept balanced or unbalanced signals from the preamplifier.

For the greatest user convenience the HP4 has its own volume control, while input
signals can be independently switched through to the power amplifier for headphone
and/or loudspeaker listening. As with all EAR products, reliability is paramount and
valve life is in excess of 10,000 hours.

The HP-4 is not a SET amp but a push-pull design as the V20 is, but it uses the Triode mode implementation instead of the far more common ultrlineal mode. Knowing EAR products it shouldn't be a shortcoming though. I wish I could listen to one of these without having to buy one blindly.

Rgrds

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #39 of 61
Initially I struggled with the price of a HP-4 - even for a used one.

But now that I have owned it for some months, and notwithstanding all the other amps I have at the same time, I would say the HP-4 is worth every penny I paid for it. It is a magical tube amp not equalled by any I have heard so far.

F. Lo

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Initially I struggled with the price of a HP-4 - even for a used one.

But now that I have owned it for some months, and notwithstanding all the other amps I have at the same time, I would say the HP-4 is worth every penny I paid for it. It is a magical tube amp not equalled by any I have heard so far.

F. Lo

Did you really, REALLY have to say that?
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, thanks a lot Francis!
wink.gif

The HP4 is one amp we've not managed to get up here in the NY/CT area meets. I'd love to hear one.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

frown.gif
rolleyes.gif

I was just echoing how amazing it is that the HP-4 is holding its own over all these years despite the flood of new, high-end, top dollar products. Many may hesitate and tend to believe newer is better. I just want to confirm the sonics of my HP-4 is still top notch even by today's standard
smily_headphones1.gif

Or did I say anything inappropriate
confused.gif

F. Lo

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HP-4 is not a SET amp but a push-pull design as the V20 is, but it uses the Triode mode implementation instead of the far more common ultrlineal mode. Knowing EAR products it shouldn't be a shortcoming though.

It uses triodes, so "ultralinear" is not an option. You need pentodes for that. But, be that as it may, I am not really concerned whether it is single ended or push pull, I am really just interested in how he transformer coupled such a high Rp tube. My own DAC is push pull while most of my amps tend to be single ended.

Quote:

I was just echoing how amazing it is that the HP-4 is holding its own over all these years despite the flood of new, high-end, top dollar products.

I think the issue is that very few of the newer designs out there are transformer coupled, instead being OTL or hybrid in one form or another. For my money, a good transformer coupled amp is nearly always better sounding. Here's mine: ecp.cc

Anyhow, if anyone has this schematic and can post it, I'd love to take a look.

Thanks

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just echoing how amazing it is that the HP-4 is holding its own over all these years despite the flood of new, high-end, top dollar products. Many may hesitate and tend to believe newer is better. I just want to confirm the sonics of my HP-4 is still top notch even by today's standard
smily_headphones1.gif

Or did I say anything inappropriate
confused.gif

F. Lo

HP-4 is high on my "wanted but highly unlikely I'll ever be able to get it" list.
But who needs another headphone amp if you already have seven (or was it eight)?
I don't.
redface.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

HP-4 is high on my "wanted but highly unlikely I'll ever be able to get it" list.
But who needs another headphone amp if you already have seven (or was it eight)?
I don't.
redface.gif

Funnily enough the HP4 is on my exact same list.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I've been lusting after one for eons (who wouldn't with those looks) but I'm unlikely to buy one new on a look-see and they don't turn up used too often and even then they're still spendy enough that you'd be foolish not to have listened to one first.

I wonder how it would be with these MDR-F1s.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back