Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #75,061 of 75,236
i'm very happy with my Ifi idsd diablo 👌
Very nice!
First of all I do not manage to adress exactly the correct area of the frequency band, so while I manage to improve one area another might suffer. 😐
Some great suggestions from others. The first thing I would do though is to go HERE where you can find out both your trouble spot in your hearing, and/or where the trouble spot is in the head gear. Then you will know exactly where to subtract using EQ, and how wide you may need to make the Q or BW, and by how much.

Also, if you are using android or Windows, or IOS, or MAC I would suggest to you an app called Neutron Music Player. One (of the MANY) thing that is great about it is the EQ/PEQ. You can actually mix and match (i.e. you can make 40Hz a low shelf PEQ, and make 80Hz a peak EQ, and etc...). It has some of the best DSP out there (without having to mortgage the house to afford it, like some other top-notch apps will).

Anyhow just my $.02, and as always, YMMV! :)
Secondly, some of the drivers are simply more competent than others.
Sadly, EQ will NOT help here, and there is really nothing that can be done short of trashing the poor drivers.
So does anybody have recommendations for earbuds with great mids, technicalities and relaxed upper mids and lower treble for me?
I am not asking for great extension on the upper and lower end! (Some extension would be nice to have)
It really depends on your budget, what you consider great mids (i.e. do you like thick, thin, recessed, forward, lush, wide, intimate, etc...), and what type of shells you desire to have. :)

Having said that, for me the the Moondrop Chaconne still comes to mind. They have some of the best technicalities, mids and treble, and are not boosted in the presence region (upper mids, lower treble).

Have a look at these reviews; especially the one from our own @RikudouGoku. Ironically, most of the time, our likes/dislikes are pretty opposite, but this review on the Chaconne is pretty spot-on from my (subjective) perspective. :)

[sidenote]: There IS another set that we both agreed upon as well, once upon a time. It was the Audiosense T800 (8 all BA IEM).. :) That was nigh on 5 years ago (come May).
Hmmm.... Technicalities for me are Dynamics/Transients, Resolution (not only in upper mids/treble!, low distortion)
Imaging and staging are a result of tonality/frequency response and technicalities combined. I think brighter tonality --> better imaging,wider stage.
darker tonality with deep bass less wide, but deeper stage.
Everybody looks for something different... i do not care about width a lot, but i want at least some depth and 3d feeling to the sound. The more natural the frequency response sounds to me the more natural the staging will be for me. That is how it is for me. You just might be into brighter sound signatures?
You are correct here. But... technicalities also encompass staging, imaging, layering, separation, detail retrieval, etc... Basically anything that is not a derivative of actual tuning. Because you can have a set that has a large dip in the upper mids/lower treble, but they can still have a wide sound-stage, for instance. Some of these are not isolated from one another and if poor, can cause other parts to suffer as well. :) Point is that you can have any kind of tuning you like and still have fantastic technicalities with the right setup.

The thing is (and ChiFi does this a tremendous amount) that boosting the upper mids (again, for instance) can enhance the soundstage that is already there (or not there to begin with :). This is a trick done in tuning. The goal then becomes to find a set that has all of those technicalities that are really good, but with no "tuning tricks" being used to get there. This is rarer than you might think, and even some of the big-name companies use this (rather than have an outstanding driver, shells, tuning, etc...)

A perfect example I might think of is @FranQL. His tuning is straight forward, and never has anything offensive in the tuning just to accomplish some goal of technicalities. But, with all the buds I have from him, the technicalities are fantastic as well. And that stems from the fact that he chooses the right (quality) driver to pair with the right shell, and tuning materials as well. His buds are (very well) known to have great tuning, but don't suffer poor technicalities as a compromise.
This is very interesting! Just a few pages back, someone else said they used the RW-2000 as their daily driver, was it @baskingshark? Because of my disappointment with the yincrow calf i had initially decided to not get any other yincrow buds. But especially the RW-2000 gets a lot of praise and seems to be one of the more universally liked higher end buds along with the yinman600...
The RW3000 seems to be a bit divisive, some like it a lot, some don't, and I have not heard a lot of talk about the RW1000. Where are the differences in between the 3? I think I have read that there is some slight boosted upper mids to the RW3000, which would probably be not good for me (seeing I do not like the "hardness" in the yincrow calf lower treble). Especially, where are the differences in between the 3 yincrow offerings regarding the upper mids/lower treble region?
There is a bit more than a slight boost on the RW3000. The RW2000 have a slight boost on the other hand. It is probably one of the reasons I favor the RW2000 just a bit over the RW3000 (still fantastic as well though), because (as you probably already know) I am very sensitive to that boost (but not mid to upper treble).

The RW2000, while having a slight boost in the upper mids, also have a tad bit of a roll-off in the mid to upper treble, which makes them come across as somewhat smoother or less aggressive. The RW3000, on the other hand, have a bit more boost (that the RW2K) in the upper mids, but are also somewhat aggressive in all the treble regions as well. This can make the entire tone sound much more aggressive and "bitey". To my ears, the RW3000 is more analytical, but on the aggressive side; as opposed to being analytical but smooth (like the Chaconne, or HD800S, etc...). The RW2000 are smoother, so they sound more musical, and without being too aggressive.

As mentioned, both sets are fantastic, and you might like either, but this is how I hear them, compared to each other. As for the RW1000, I never got those, so can't comment on them. There is a fourth option in the RW line though, and that is the RW1000 Bass Pro. :) Though I haven't heard those either.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #75,062 of 75,236
From the time when you didn't pay hundreds of dollars for something good20240417_193759.jpg
From a time when you didn't have to pay ANYTHING for something..... oh wait, you said something good.... hahahahahaha

Actually, I kid. I hate to admit it, but these really aren't bad at all. They are very similar to a Smabat tuning without the upper mid boost. :)
20240418_170328.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #75,063 of 75,236
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #75,064 of 75,236
The Yinman 150(32) has arrived! Box a little mangled but it's fine. Took less than 2 weeks for delivery, very quick I would say.

1000008223.jpg

1000008214.jpg

1000008222.jpg

Shells are the same dark black sandalwood like the original 600 version. Cable is a nice black OFC, which is very malleable, with splitter and chin strap unlike the 600.

The sound is very neutral. I only had a few minutes with them tonight but they seemed to have lost thr magic of the 600s. The bass is there but not full not as present and pounding as the 600. It is a decently good neutral set I think some will still enjoy no doubt.

All three of my Yinmans together... With the evolution of Yinman packaging.

1000008220.jpg

1000008225.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #75,065 of 75,236
The Yinman 150(32) has arrived! Box a little mangled but it's fine. Took less than 2 weeks for delivery, very quick I would say.

1000008223.jpg

1000008222.jpg

Shells are the same dark black sandalwood like the original 600 version. Cable is a nice black OFC, which is very malleable, with splitter and chin strap unlike the 600.

The sound is very neutral. I only had a few minutes with them tonight but they seemed to have lost thr magic of the 600s. The bass is there but not full not as present and pounding as the 600. It is a decently good neutral set I think some will still enjoy no doubt.

1000008220.jpg

1000008225.jpg
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Sad to say, but I really think those are the 32Ω version (though it wouldn't hurt to take a volt meter to measure if you so felt the need).

It seems that while they might not have the same sound as the 600Ω big brother, they still might be a winner?! :)

HEY! I am jealous. :wink: While you got a MUCH better looking box than I did for the 600Ω, mine DID come with the black puck style case as well. :) Mine didn't come with the leather cable holder either. Are both of the ones on top the 600Ω?

Here is what mine came in:
20220707_112204.jpg

20220707_112018.jpg

20220707_112107.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #75,066 of 75,236
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

Sad to say, but I really think those are the 32Ω version (though it wouldn't hurt to take a volt meter to measure if you so felt the need).

It seems that while they might not have the same sound as the 600Ω big brother, they still might be a winner?! :)

HEY! I am jealous. :wink: While you got a MUCH better looking box than I did for the 600Ω, mine DID come with the black puck style case as well. :) Mine didn't come with the leather cable holder either. Are both of the ones on top the 600Ω?

Here is what mine came in:
20220707_112204.jpg

20220707_112018.jpg

20220707_112107.jpg
Yes I would say without a doubt they are a good set if you are looking for neutral. Cable is nice (not as good as Blur OFC but hey), and with the wood, very light!! I do really like this shape more so than traditional mx500. Again, the custom earbuds are really where it is at!

Correct, both of the top of my pictured are the Yinman 600 2.0. Left, I purchased from @WoodyLuvr as his was one of the first, it definitely came with the best packaging! 2nd 4.4mm version I got recently from @dnolan227 as a backup and also to have a 4.4mm version :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #75,067 of 75,236
Yes I would say without a doubt they are a good set if you are looking for neutral. Cable is nice (not as good as Blur OFC but hey), and with the wood, very light!! I do really like this shape more so than traditional mx500. Again, the custom earbuds are really where it is at!

Correct, both of the top of my pictured are the Yinman 600 2.0. Left, I purchased from @WoodyLuvr as his was one of the first, it definitely came with the best packaging! 2nd 4.4mm version I got recently from @dnolan227 as a backup and also to have a 4.4mm version :)
That is good to know. I would assume that by neutral, there isn't any sort of offensive tuning to get around?

AAAAh! I thought that box looked familiar... That one has some serious dressing on the inside (IIRC), much like a coffin... Mine is more like an "unfinished coffin" and without the pillowy material on the inside (as seen in my photos) ... ROFL

Well, either way, good for you.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #75,068 of 75,236
That is good to know. I would assume that by neutral, there isn't any sort of offensive tuning to get around?

AAAAh! I thought that box looked familiar... That one has some serious dressing on the inside (IIRC), much like a coffin... Mine is more like an "unfinished coffin" and without the pillowy material on the inside (as seen in my photos) ... ROFL

Well, either way, good for you.
Lmao it is much like a coffin. Damn. Realization set in. Things I am meaning to keep, not sure if my direct individuals will know w.tf they may have.

Things we all need to consider I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #75,069 of 75,236
Lmao it is much like a coffin. Damn. Realization set in. Things I am meaning to keep, not sure if my direct individuals will know w.tf they may have.

Things we all need to consider I guess.
Yours is the "Divine Afterlife" model.... Mine is from the "Serf Be Gone" line.... :wink: :smiling_imp:

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #75,070 of 75,236

1000008223.jpg

1000008214.jpg

1000008222.jpg

1000008220.jpg

1000008225.jpg
I think you really got the 150Ω. My box does not have the 150Ω / 3.5mm markings on it. Too bad you don't have a simple multimeter to do a resistance measurement.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #75,072 of 75,236
I think you really got the 150Ω. My box does not have the 150Ω / 3.5mm markings on it. Too bad you don't have a simple multimeter to do a resistance measurement.
Agree! I will say it does take some power to get the full sound from them. Via L&P W4, I am up to almost 90 on low gain.
Apologies. I didn't see the picture of that inner box when I originally viewed your pics.... Fantastic for you! :)

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #75,073 of 75,236
Very nice!

Some great suggestions from others. The first thing I would do though is to go HERE where you can find out both your trouble spot in your hearing, and/or where the trouble spot is in the head gear. Then you will know exactly where to subtract using EQ, and how wide you may need to make the Q or BW, and by how much.

Also, if you are using android or Windows, or IOS, or MAC I would suggest to you an app called Neutron Music Player. One (of the MANY) thing that is great about it is the EQ/PEQ. You can actually mix and match (i.e. you can make 40Hz a low shelf PEQ, and make 80Hz a peak EQ, and etc...). It has some of the best DSP out there (without having to mortgage the house to afford it, like some other top-notch apps will).

Anyhow just my $.02, and as always, YMMV! :)

Sadly, EQ will NOT help here, and there is really nothing that can be done short of trashing the poor drivers.

It really depends on your budget, what you consider great mids (i.e. do you like thick, thin, recessed, forward, lush, wide, intimate, etc...), and what type of shells you desire to have. :)

Having said that, for me the the Moondrop Chaconne still comes to mind. They have some of the best technicalities, mids and treble, and are not boosted in the presence region (upper mids, lower treble).

Have a look at these reviews; especially the one from our own @RikudouGoku. Ironically, most of the time, our likes/dislikes are pretty opposite, but this review on the Chaconne is pretty spot-on from my (subjective) perspective. :)

[sidenote]: There IS another set that we both agreed upon as well, once upon a time. It was the Audiosense T800 (8 all BA IEM).. :) That was nigh on 5 years ago (come May).

You are correct here. But... technicalities also encompass staging, imaging, layering, separation, detail retrieval, etc... Basically anything that is not a derivative of actual tuning. Because you can have a set that has a large dip in the upper mids/lower treble, but they can still have a wide sound-stage, for instance. Some of these are not isolated from one another and if poor, can cause other parts to suffer as well. :) Point is that you can have any kind of tuning you like and still have fantastic technicalities with the right setup.

The thing is (and ChiFi does this a tremendous amount) that boosting the upper mids (again, for instance) can enhance the soundstage that is already there (or not there to begin with :). This is a trick done in tuning. The goal then becomes to find a set that has all of those technicalities that are really good, but with no "tuning tricks" being used to get there. This is rarer than you might think, and even some of the big-name companies use this (rather than have an outstanding driver, shells, tuning, etc...)

A perfect example I might think of is @FranQL. His tuning is straight forward, and never has anything offensive in the tuning just to accomplish some goal of technicalities. But, with all the buds I have from him, the technicalities are fantastic as well. And that stems from the fact that he chooses the right (quality) driver to pair with the right shell, and tuning materials as well. His buds are (very well) known to have great tuning, but don't suffer poor technicalities as a compromise.

There is a bit more than a slight boost on the RW3000. The RW2000 have a slight boost on the other hand. It is probably one of the reasons I favor the RW2000 just a bit over the RW3000 (still fantastic as well though), because (as you probably already know) I am very sensitive to that boost (but not mid to upper treble).

The RW2000, while having a slight boost in the upper mids, also have a tad bit of a roll-off in the mid to upper treble, which makes them come across as somewhat smoother or less aggressive. The RW3000, on the other hand, have a bit more boost (that the RW2K) in the upper mids, but are also somewhat aggressive in all the treble regions as well. This can make the entire tone sound much more aggressive and "bitey". To my ears, the RW3000 is more analytical, but on the aggressive side; as opposed to being analytical but smooth (like the Chaconne, or HD800S, etc...). The RW2000 are smoother, so they sound more musical, and without being too aggressive.

As mentioned, both sets are fantastic, and you might like either, but this is how I hear them, compared to each other. As for the RW1000, I never got those, so can't comment on them. There is a fourth option in the RW line though, and that is the RW1000 Bass Pro. :) Though I haven't heard those either.
Thank you for answering in depth to my questions/post. It is morning here in Europe and I am at work. I will have to take some time to process and digest it all and will answer when I find the time - Highly appreciated! 🙏

Something else: in my frustration finding out that I will not be able to easily acquire the yinman 600, I ordered the Faaeal Rosemary and Snow Lotus as some sort of consolation They have arrived and I also own the Faaeal Iris 2.0 and will write up a quick comparison of those for everyone when I have had some listening time.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #75,074 of 75,236
The SHOZY MXN is a review unit courtesy of Penon.

SHOZY MXN.jpg

It is very comfortable and light. This set is easily driven.

Initial sonic impressions are that this flathead is midcentric, and is superb for vocals and acoustic genres. Vocal genres will shine with this earbud, with a thick note weight heard.

Like most earbuds, there is a sub-bass roll-off, but the bass is textured and punchy without mid-bass bleed. It comes with a selection of foams, and the provided donut foams will burnish the midrange, whereas the full foams will make it more bassy and warmer. Treble is smooth without harshness or sibilance. After foam-rolling, my preference is with the stock donut foams, as the midrange is lush and addictive with this setup.

Timbre is legit, no complaints here. It is more musical than technical, but the imaging is pretty accurate, with good layering. Its focus is not on outright analytical micro-detailing, but to furnish a smooth and fatigue-free soundscape (I'm glad to report the pinna gain area is forwards without overt shoutiness).

I think it retails at $49.99 USD, and this earbud belongs in midFI flathead territory for sure. Definitely a set for our mid and vocal lovers.

Will do some burn-in and comparisons against other midFI gear and report back!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #75,075 of 75,236
The SHOZY MXN is a review unit courtesy of Penon.

SHOZY MXN.jpg

It is very comfortable and light. This set is easily driven.

Initial sonic impressions are that this flathead is midcentric, and is superb for vocals and acoustic genres. Vocal genres will shine with this earbud, with a thick note weight heard.

Like most earbuds, there is a sub-bass roll-off, but the bass is textured and punchy without mid-bass bleed. It comes with a selection of foams, and the provided donut foams will burnish the midrange, whereas the full foams will make it more bassy and warmer. Treble is smooth without harshness or sibilance. After foam-rolling, my preference is with the stock donut foams, as the midrange is lush and addictive with this setup.

Timbre is legit, no complaints here. It is more musical than technical, but the imaging is pretty accurate, with good layering. Its focus is not on outright analytical micro-detailing, but to furnish a smooth and fatigue-free soundscape (I'm glad to report the pinna gain area is forwards without overt shoutiness).

I think it retails at $49.99 USD, and this earbud belongs in midFI flathead territory for sure. Definitely a set for our mid and vocal lovers.

Will do some burn-in and comparisons against other midFI gear and report back!

Great news! Was waiting for some thoughts on this one. Looking out for your comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back