Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 16, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #8,581 of 75,629
@luedriver no reason to get asura 2 over cygnus unless you prefer the VE style shell, asura should be $20-30 less

in aud they are both about $100 comparing cygnus from penonaudio and asura from veclan

I don't favor the mx500 shell, but maybe the audio signature of ve could tip the favor, that is why I asked for suggestions, but I feel the cygnus could be better, only from just what I have read so far,

better is relative so I listed what I intend to use them for, movies, video games, ost (original sound tracks of video games) and other instrumental and/or electronic music

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,582 of 75,629
in aud they are both about $100 comparing cygnus from penonaudio and asura from veclan

I don't favor the mx500 shell, but maybe the audio signature of ve could tip the favor, that is why I asked for suggestions, but I feel the cygnus could be better, only from just what I have read so far,

better is relative so I listed what I intend to use them for, movies, video games, ost (original sound tracks of video games) and other instrumental and/or electronic music

If they are the same price in the end to you that makes the cygnus even more of a no brainer. The asura just isn't good enough to stand up to any competition over $50usd.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #8,583 of 75,629

Cygnus is better

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #8,584 of 75,629
is penonaudio a good place to order them from?

I read it is better to order them direct from shozy, or is this because I found 3 sellers on aliexpress that sell them a bit cheaper?

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,585 of 75,629
  is penonaudio a good place to order them from?

I read it is better to order them direct from shozy, or is this because I found 3 sellers on aliexpress that sell them a bit cheaper?

penon is reputable
top notch customer service

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #8,586 of 75,629
  Foams anyone?  
biggrin.gif

How are the 500Ohms?
What are your initial impressions of them?

Aug 16, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #8,589 of 75,629

If they are the same price in the end to you that makes the cygnus even more of a no brainer. The asura just isn't good enough to stand up to any competition over $50usd.
have you heard it???

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,590 of 75,629
Believe it or not, I have never bought from Penon. I always pick the cheapest I find on Aliexpress and then ask for the head-fi discount to get another $5 or so off. As long as you don't pick an untrusted/sketchy seller with sub 95% positive feedback you'll be fine.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #8,592 of 75,629
How does this Head-fi discount work? Does it only work with certain sellers?

Most people here use the same sellers who are known to give discounts to head-fi members. Sometimes I try a new store and do the same thing and they say to mention here that they will offer a discount to any head-fi member. You place your order but don't pay immediately, you cancel at the payment page then can go back to your order and message the seller there. I just say I'm vapman from head-fi and can I have a discounted price please. Wait for adjustment, you'll get an email when they set the price for you, then go and pay. :)

Don't say you're vapman or i'll get angry >:[

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #8,593 of 75,629
I'm going to have to try that in the future. My recent Aliexpress order was for like 10 cents over the balance I had left on a gift credit card I was trying to use up. I wound up having to use a dormant card I really didn't want to which was a bummer. I think some more earbuds over 32 ohms are in my near future though. I'm still going back and forth on the Cayin N5 or Shanling M5, but one of those two will be joining my stable shortly.

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #8,594 of 75,629
Oh any seller would adjust your price 10 cents if that was a problematic amount keeping you from ordering. Seeing how readily they'll take off $3-5 for you being a Head-Fi member, I can't imagine 10 cents being an issue
wink.gif
so remember that next time you're trying to stretch out a gift card and don't wanna explain a 10 cent charge to your bank!

Aug 16, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #8,595 of 75,629
Can someone help me find the "MoonDrop (水月雨) VX Pro" on Aliexpress? I've found it on TaoBao, although I haven't any idea how to purchase from taobao...  I'm searching for a good analytical earbud <$100 and VX Pro looks a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back