Earsonics ES3
Aug 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #257 of 324
Hello, guys! Based on experience, which DAP would be the most suitable for es3? I have cayin n5 and shanling m5 on my radar, does anybody have combination with mentioned sources? Other proposals are, of course, welcomed.
Sony NW-ZX100 :thumbsup:

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #259 of 324
By the way, how does es-3 sounds compared to triple fi? These are pretty old and outdated iems which I have, but nevertheless decent.

I auditioned the triplefi a long time ago and then owned the SM3 (predecessor of the ES3). from memory, the Earsonics will outshine the UE in the mids departments - again, this is from memory. as the rest of the frequency range, I can't remember. now the ES3, i can say is an improved SM3 on every aspect - so if you like to hear your mids, then the ES3 is a good buy.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #260 of 324
This might be interesting for ES3 owners or prospective buyers.

We all know how fantastic the Andromeda (Campfire) is - regarded as being one of the best IEMs around - especially in terms of overall value. Green is the Andro. Blue is the ES3. I've been using them again recently as I was asked for some advice by PM, and to be quite honest I'm stunned (again) by how good these are.

es3.png

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #262 of 324
Hi Guys,
I've read the entire thread and still can't decide whether to get es3 or sm64. I hope that you can shed some light on my dilemma. My budget is around €400 and I primarily listen to folk and rock music. I currently own earsonic sm2v2 that I quite like and use audioquest's dragonfly red as a DAC. In terms of sound I'm looking for a balanced sound with a wide, airy soundstage that will be easy to listen for hours and makes me go wow:gs1000smile:. I love that someone refer to sm64 as romantic, however my only gripe is that they are quite old and surely there has been some technological advancement. In a nutshell, what is your's recommendation for someone who is a casual listener and wants a well rounded iem? Also, if there are any other iem in this price range worth considering please let me know.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #264 of 324
Hi Guys,
I've read the entire thread and still can't decide whether to get es3 or sm64. I hope that you can shed some light on my dilemma. My budget is around €400 and I primarily listen to folk and rock music. I currently own earsonic sm2v2 that I quite like and use audioquest's dragonfly red as a DAC. In terms of sound I'm looking for a balanced sound with a wide, airy soundstage that will be easy to listen for hours and makes me go wow:gs1000smile:. I love that someone refer to sm64 as romantic, however my only gripe is that they are quite old and surely there has been some technological advancement. In a nutshell, what is your's recommendation for someone who is a casual listener and wants a well rounded iem? Also, if there are any other iem in this price range worth considering please let me know.
ES3 all the way.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #265 of 324
Hi Guys,

the 64 sounds more analytical. if you want a better all-rounder, then go with the es3.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #266 of 324
ES3 without a doubt, except if you're looking for mellow mids like you get with the SM2v2 which are quite veiled.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #267 of 324
I'm considering the ES3 to compliment the Fischer DBA-02s I just picked up - my experience with the dual-BA TWFK 02s so far has been that they are absolute detail monsters, while being a smidgen light on the sub-bass. I've found them an absolute delight with thick technical death metal mixes (and metal mixes in general), so I'm wondering if the ES3 is all around more resolving (which I sort of doubt) while still having elevated bass or if they're going to be more of a compliment with more bass presence / more relaxed mid texture compared to the very aggressive DBA-02s.

My reading so far has indicated that they would be a good choice to handle slower metal genres / more general rock and jazz listening, but I'm wondering if they'll still be able to handle fast metal with aplomb (I know Aerosphere has indicated this is the case). Joker's review suggested they're mildly V-shaped - how much more treble presence do they have compared to the dual TWFK 02s? I'm a TAD concerned as the 02s are just about the sweet spot for cymbal work for me.

Finally, how is the durability? All the reports of the SM64 and SM3 shell issues makes me rather nervous, even if the new shells are bolted together rather than merely glued.

Hoping some of the really experienced owners can chime in and thanks in advance!

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #268 of 324
I'm considering the ES3 to compliment the Fischer DBA-02s I just picked up - my experience with the dual-BA TWFK 02s so far has been that they are absolute detail monsters, while being a smidgen light on the sub-bass. I've found them an absolute delight with thick technical death metal mixes (and metal mixes in general), so I'm wondering if the ES3 is all around more resolving (which I sort of doubt) while still having elevated bass or if they're going to be more of a compliment with more bass presence / more relaxed mid texture compared to the very aggressive DBA-02s.

My reading so far has indicated that they would be a good choice to handle slower metal genres / more general rock and jazz listening, but I'm wondering if they'll still be able to handle fast metal with aplomb (I know Aerosphere has indicated this is the case). Joker's review suggested they're mildly V-shaped - how much more treble presence do they have compared to the dual TWFK 02s? I'm a TAD concerned as the 02s are just about the sweet spot for cymbal work for me.

Finally, how is the durability? All the reports of the SM64 and SM3 shell issues makes me rather nervous, even if the new shells are bolted together rather than merely glued.

Hoping some of the really experienced owners can chime in and thanks in advance!

aahhh the DBA-02 - i had auditioned both original and Mk2 versions a long time ago. the only thing i remembered with these iems is that they are a bit too peaky for me. the ES3 will definitely be more 'tamed' when it come to treble but still resolve details and it has that punch in the bottom end.

unfortunately, i don't normally listen to metal and jazz so i really can't further comment. build quality is indeed an improvement, i also owned an SM3 before - shells opened like a blooming flower. :hushed: but the ES3's shells are screwed together, so that should add a point or two in terms of durability.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #269 of 324
aahhh the DBA-02 - i had auditioned both original and Mk2 versions a long time ago. the only thing i remembered with these iems is that they are a bit too peaky for me. the ES3 will definitely be more 'tamed' when it come to treble but still resolve details and it has that punch in the bottom end.

unfortunately, i don't normally listen to metal and jazz so i really can't further comment. build quality is indeed an improvement, i also owned an SM3 before - shells opened like a blooming flower. :hushed: but the ES3's shells are screwed together, so that should add a point or two in terms of durability.

Its funny you say that - I'm fairly used to both bright treble coming from my HE400 and TH600 (though the 400 has been tamed with Focuspads and toilet paper :joy:) and non-existent treble (my old daily driver Shure SE215s) so the DBA-02 to me is pretty much a perfect balance in terms of cymbal presence and body without getting sibilant or trashy, or overshadowing everything in the mid range as with the IE80s (I should probably get rid of them). Hearing that the ES3 is more tame treble wise makes less apprehensive as when I read Joker's review and saw "V-shaped".

Aug 25, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #270 of 324
Its funny you say that - I'm fairly used to both bright treble coming from my HE400 and TH600 (though the 400 has been tamed with Focuspads and toilet paper :joy:) and non-existent treble (my old daily driver Shure SE215s) so the DBA-02 to me is pretty much a perfect balance in terms of cymbal presence and body without getting sibilant or trashy, or overshadowing everything in the mid range as with the IE80s (I should probably get rid of them). Hearing that the ES3 is more tame treble wise makes less apprehensive as when I read Joker's review and saw "V-shaped".
They aren't what I would call traditionally heavily V shaped (see graph on page 18). The graph shows the ES3 vs the Campfire Andromeda. The are actually quite balanced with a sub-bass bump (for a little warmth) and a lower treble bump (for detail esp around cymbal fundamental area). If you've heard Andromeda before, it'll give you an idea how good these are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back