EDU: How to mod your Senn580
Sep 27, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #63 of 84
This thread has a great life span. Lots of good info. there is a grill part number conflict in the thread.92856 and 92815. I called Senn a few weeks ago with the 856 number and was quoted $38 Since I've had a pair of 600's to play with for a few weeks and I have a pair of 580's with 650 wire to compare with, I re-read the thread and noticed the different part #.

I just called Senn and ordered 92815 for $7.93 each, back-ordered until Oct 15. Interesting, because when I called before I had the girl checked the number for 600 grills when I was quoted $38 and was told they were the same #. (92856) Senn may swap numbers every once in awhile just to balance the books.
icon10.gif

I still prefer my 501's but this is too good a thread and too good a deal to pass up
cool.gif
Regarding matched drivers, I just had my hearing re-checked (huh?) and my ears are mis-matched. I asked the tech and she said that was pretty common in males, so mis-matched drivers is an asset. You swap sides and listen for the closest match and then swap the drivers to the proper side if necessary.
600smile.gif

BTW, AB'ing 580's and 600's both with 650 cable is a hard call, I can hear the cable easily but the phones are a 50-50 shot. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Sep 27, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #64 of 84
The grilles are 092815, the cable is 092885. You need the zero if you want to order on line. I'm looking at both parts in their original packing right now.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #66 of 84
I recieved Senn's order confirmation email, the part is intrestingly described: 092815 PERF SHEET FOR CAP RING.

Sort of in the spirit of trash can = Cylindrical Receptacle for Permanantly Disused Item

Sep 28, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #67 of 84
Thanks for the step-by-step tips, Ichini! Much appreciated.

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #68 of 84
"Modification: stripping/repainting the headband
Effect: By far the most effective mod in terms of SQ; the attack and decay shows superb improvement, instruments that weren't there before suddenly make themselves heard, I simply cannot say enough about the performance gains you get from repainting the headband!"

Perhaps I'm missing somthing but, was this intended to be a joke? "Instruments that weren't there suddenly make themselves heard" all because of paint? Huh?

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #69 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by OblivionLord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Modification: stripping/repainting the headband
Effect: By far the most effective mod in terms of SQ; the attack and decay shows superb improvement, instruments that weren't there before suddenly make themselves heard, I simply cannot say enough about the performance gains you get from repainting the headband!"

Perhaps I'm missing somthing but, was this intended to be a joke? "Instruments that weren't there suddenly make themselves heard" all because of paint? Huh?

Yeah, Head-fi really needs a road sign that says "Watch for Tongue in Cheek!"

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by aa1037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@circuithero - did you order from their site or did you call them? Would you share the part numbers you used?

Thanks.

I called them. I used everything on the 2nd post on the first page. The part numbers are still correct.

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #74 of 84
Interesting that price on the grills have dropped in half over time. I had to call back as I thought the recently quoted total was wrong (or they only ordered a single grill).

Does anyone have information on ordering the Beyer headband pad? Is it the same as the Grado mod (I think Beyer 770)? Anyone have a photo? Funny thing is I think I used to have one of the pads a few years ago.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #75 of 84
I got some 580s on the way and after reading this I am definitely going to replace those ugly 580 grills with some sweet 600 grills. The HD650 cable is so cheap I will probably pick that up too.

Anybody directly compared the Equinox Cable with other aftermarket cables like the Black Silver from Headphile.com?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back