Egmont Signature or KGSS for my O2s?
Jan 6, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 70
Has any price been set on the ES-1? I have a feeling it may well be above my budget for this, but no harm in asking.

I also think Rudi will make the Egmont Reference, which is the ultimate version of the Egmont for electrostats, and based upon the one-off he originally made for Nik. Would be over $5,000 though, and that is above where I want to be. $3,000 is about my limit on this.

Simon

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #32 of 70
Hi Simon,

yes, the Egmont Reference with Telefunkens & Sylvanias was my last amp for the Omega II: fast, musical and perfectly matched with the darkness of the cans.

(BUT) :

I cant' forget the lushness and richness tonality of the Egmont Signature equiped with the Mullard CV181 (expensives and rares tubes), add to this setup the right source and the right cables and you will find yourself in paradise. Jazz vocal and acoustic music with this setup are outclass performance.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
Has any price been set on the ES-1? I have a feeling it may well be above my budget for this, but no harm in asking.

Simon

Best to email Mikhail for a quote,He also mentioned something about building a lesser expensive version But don't hold me to that,you will have to ask him.

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Tuberolling the 007t definately improves the sound of the amp.
You need a Digital multimeter & plastic screwdiver,Tube biasing procedures have been posted on this site or you could email Hirsch for the info.

Not to hard to do ,after you do it once.

I read Hirsch's instructions but the high voltage, you can kill yourself bit put me off. Is that what the plastic screwdriver is supposed to prevent?

I would give it a go if it really is simple. Do I need a digital multimeter that has crocodile clips on the end of the leads or just pointed tips? If tips, how do I adjust something with the scredriver if I am holding two leads on the trimpot?

Simon

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #36 of 70
Quote:

I read Hirsch's instructions but the high voltage, you can kill yourself bit put me off. Is that what the plastic screwdriver is supposed to prevent?

I would give it a go if it really is simple. Do I need a digital multimeter that has crocodile clips on the end of the leads or just pointed tips? If tips, how do I adjust something with the scredriver if I am holding two leads on the trimpot?

Simon

I have done the work very simply with normal scredriver... and I'm still here.

Best!
Nicola

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
I don't think I've seen anyone else mention this, but what about the Blue Hawaii? You can find more info on the one Headamp offers here: http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm

The Blue Hawaii is now discontinued. I think the KGST is replacing it.

Simon

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I have done the work very simply with normal scredriver... and I'm still here.

Best!
Nicola

Now what we need here is a video tutorial that I can follow
icon10.gif

Can someone PM me with details of suitable equipment and where to get it from in Europe (UK preferably).

Nik, what tubes did you say sounded good in the 007t (Mazda/Brimar)? Any good source for them in Europe? I presume I need to get them matched, and two different types for the 007t?

I am OK if people want to PM me as this is getting off topic and I do want to continue the amp theme.

Simon

Jan 6, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #39 of 70
Quote:

I can see your point that there are a lot of new electrostat amps on the horizon (ES-1, KGST to name but two) but I am also thinking that if I wait to see what appears, then at that point in time there will be another crop of amps on the horizon and I will be in the same quandry.

This would be a no-brainer if I was in the US as the market is so big I could easily sell-on any amp that I buy if it is not to my taste, and only incur a relatively small loss. Being in the UK (as you are) the VAT and duty make selling anything to the US and some European countries almost impossible as it is likely more expensive than a resident would pay for a new one.
Simon

I don't expect another crop of amps on the horizon after this one. To be honest. Some of these new developments come (at some point) from the hype (deserved) and expectations with the new bach of HE90s. Being the Electrostatic Headamp still a niche market compared with the dynamic ones, it's hard to believe a lot of new designs are on its way anytime soon. You never know, though.

Yes, better be carefull with VAT and duty issues. I think my KGSS DX Ed. was around $3300 and I got charged for around $800 in customs. Be aware of that.

Cheers.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Simon

I have used a metal screwdriver ,just safer to use a plastic one doesn't conduct electricity if you touch something by accident that you shouldn't.
You need to use the pointed tips to make contact with the testpoints(Small circular solder points) , Can hold both with one hand on both probes ,a little tricky but doable with practice,using other hand to use screwdriver.Or get another person for the third hand.Once you do it a couple of times it becomes easy.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

icon10.gif

Can someone PM me with details of suitable equipment and where to get it from in Europe (UK preferably).

Nik, what tubes did you say sounded good in the 007t (Mazda/Brimar)? Any good source for them in Europe? I presume I need to get them matched, and two different types for the 007t?

I am OK if people want to PM me as this is getting off topic and I do want to continue the amp theme.

Simon

Better if you look for a quartet to have the same matched even between the two sections.

The Brimar/Mazda are the most beautifull in the med region, not so extended to the extremes (low and hi).

The RCA cleartop Cryo are the most expensive, not simple to find, but the most complete from the lowest to the highest.

May be you can try to find something here:

http://www.audiotubes.de/index.html?...ranshop_09.htm

http://www.jacmusic.com/

Best!
Nicola

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #42 of 70
Thanks Nik. I'm thinking of trusting Rudi with my next amp. It will be standard tubes with a NOS set for me to put in for a warmer sound, plus XLR in and by-pass XLR out. Not as expensive as your Reference, but at the top of my budget. I'm not sure why it is so much more than the KGSS or KGST would be though. The KGST sounds interesting but I'm not sure about trying a new amp (although I am sure it will be excellent and I could return it if I am not happy) and I am getting some comfort from your good experiences with Rudi and the fact that Italy is closer to me than the USA.

Nearly ready to pull that trigger.

Simon

Jan 6, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

icon10.gif

Simon

Yeah, me too. I was really put off by the whole 'you can kill yourself' thing,
tongue.gif

So where do I point the multimeter to? And the screwdriver? Any pictures available?

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #44 of 70
What's the difference between crocodile clips and alligator clips? Do the crocodile clips have a nastier bite?
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #45 of 70
Not as nasty a bite as a bulldog clip
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back