Electric Bike and Electric Scooter-Fi!
Aug 28, 2017 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)
Electric bicycles and electric scooters - they are starting to be the rage these days.

I started off with a Goped GSR Sport over ten years ago, as I wanted a powered stand-up scooter. It is chain driven and I've got the carborator upgrade with a larger 1.5 liter gas tank, but it wasn't fun mixing the gas to oil (40:1) ratio, and emissions were plentiful when storing the Goped anywhere after a ride around the town. I wound up keeping it in my shed and not using it as a result of the not-so-fun upkeep, and finding out that technology has changed into a much more efficient and cleaner way of getting from point A to point B.

Fast forward more than a decade later - I purchased the Swagtron Swagger stand-up electric scooter. Swagtron, which is a company that's mostly known for their hoverboards and electric skateboards, also makes electric scooters.

I've ridden it around the neighborhood and even to work when my street got paved one day. Since the Swagger is TSA approved, I was able to check it in and send it to London with me. It was fun being able to ride around Central London without having to use the Tube as much.

Here's the Swagger with my LED head/tail/turn light helmet in London - Covent Garden area:

IMG_2885.JPG

This year's Open House for electric bicycles and scooters was held at the Electric Bicycle Center, located in Fullerton (not far from Disneyland and Angel Stadium). Food and drinks were plentiful, and it was worth the trek and brave 100+ degree weather to check out different vendors' lineups. It's pretty much the CanJam of electric bicycles and scooters!

Here are a few of the vendor's available stock:

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

My favorite for the price is the 2016 48v e-JOE Koda (not shown) - here is another one of their models
IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

Very fun single speed electric bicycle
IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

The fastest cruiser I've ridden in my life
IMG_2865.JPG

Very heavy, but fast and with cruise control!
IMG_2867.JPG

Court from Electricbikereview.com
IMG_2869.JPG

My overall favorite is the Bulls Outlaw
IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

Who here has tried or owns an electric bicycle and/or an electric scooter, and what's your experience with them?

Attachments

• IMG_2858.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 13
Sidewalks in my area have warnings that say no motor vehicles...but I've still seen people riding stuff like this. hehe
Some areas you can't ride electric bicycles/scooters, and you should abide by those signs/rules. In New York, the laws are more stringent. Such as throttle-activated bikes are not legal, but pedal-assisted bikes are. I've dealt with laws in different areas, and differ based on the city as well. In my experience, as long as you are not speeding by people, being a nuisance and/or being a danger to those around you, you should be okay. I have experienced much better "acceptance" with my smaller, much quieter electric Swagger, as opposed to my slightly larger, louder, gas-powered scooter. It's all about being a responsible electric bicycle and scooter user.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 13
I;ve ridden motorcycles since I was old enough to hold a learners permit.
My first vehicle was a Vespa motor scooter which was lethal.

Small wheels and rotten brakes meant that in the wet, if you touched the back brake, you went for a speedway slide with predictable results.
The front brake wasn't even of ornamental value.
The best thing for me was when the clutch exploded while cruising at 40mph which locked the back wheel and sent me on a 100 meter tank slapping ride down a hill.
I then went out and got a Yamaha 250cc two stroke and street raced the other bikers to and from work for about 10 years.

Oh, the exubrance and proclivities of a well-spent youth. :ksc75smile:

They used to call us motorbicyclists "temporary Australians". :L3000:

Out of about 40 apprentice electrical fitter/mechanics, there were about 8 motorcyclists.

Less than half of us survived the experience for various reasons (all bike related). :triportsad:

upload_2017-8-29_16-39-8.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-39-29.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-40-39.gif

upload_2017-8-29_16-41-4.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-41-46.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-42-5.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-43-35.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-45-17.gif
upload_2017-8-29_16-45-50.gif

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 13
I looked into electric scooters about 10 yrs ago in search of a cheap commuter. Pretty much all were Chinese made of very questionable reliability.

I bought a used Honda Helix (Fusion to those who are over the pond) and couldn't be happier. 65+ mpg, and a 250cc is plenty of power for city.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 13
I;ve ridden motorcycles since I was old enough to hold a learners permit.
My first vehicle was a Vespa motor scooter which was lethal.

Small wheels and rotten brakes meant that in the wet, if you touched the back brake, you went for a speedway slide with predictable results.
The front brake wasn't even of ornamental value.
The best thing for me was when the clutch exploded while cruising at 40mph which locked the back wheel and sent me on a 100 meter tank slapping ride down a hill.
I then went out and got a Yamaha 250cc two stroke and street raced the other bikers to and from work for about 10 years.

Oh, the exubrance and proclivities of a well-spent youth. :ksc75smile:

They used to call us motorbicyclists "temporary Australians". :L3000:

Out of about 40 apprentice electrical fitter/mechanics, there were about 8 motorcyclists.

Less than half of us survived the experience for various reasons (all bike related). :triportsad:

You should check out this guy, who is riding absolutely crazy with the Stealth Bomber B52 electric bicycle if those gifs fancy you:
I looked into electric scooters about 10 yrs ago in search of a cheap commuter. Pretty much all were Chinese made of very questionable reliability.

I bought a used Honda Helix (Fusion to those who are over the pond) and couldn't be happier. 65+ mpg, and a 250cc is plenty of power for city.
Yeah, most electric scooters are made in China, but certain brands are pretty good, like the Swagtron series. Even their support isn't too shabby. Now, you've got Korean brands such as Dualtron making very good, fast electric scooters, and brands such as BULLS creating electric bicycles with motors from well-respected companies such as BOSCH. I'd like to get an electric bicycle to get a little workout in, and relive the days of riding a bike when I was younger.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 13
I got tired legs just watching that....... could be the 'flu that's doing it.....:triportsad:

I can remember being about 8 years old and riding my father's bicycle an old 30 inch model,
The only way I could ride it was to stick my leg under the crossbar.
Things went good until the next door's great dane came racing out all full of joy and happiness to chase me.
My downfall was that it's back end was oscillating from side to side because of it's tail.
Needless to say. as it went by slobbering and passed me, it's back end came into contact with me.
As there was no roadway on the other side, I had to go bush and got my first notable case of gravel rash.
Oh, the thriii, Ooooh, the joy, and, Ooooooh, the weepng bandages until things healed....... :triportsad:
Yep, pleasant memories.... or. not......:ksc75smile:

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 13
That Stealth B-52 looks pretty cool. I noticed there weren't any prices on their website without requesting a quote. I'm guessing it would not be for those trying to save money over a gas scooter.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 13
I got tired legs just watching that....... could be the 'flu that's doing it.....:triportsad:

I can remember being about 8 years old and riding my father's bicycle an old 30 inch model,
The only way I could ride it was to stick my leg under the crossbar.
Things went good until the next door's great dane came racing out all full of joy and happiness to chase me.
My downfall was that it's back end was oscillating from side to side because of it's tail.
Needless to say. as it went by slobbering and passed me, it's back end came into contact with me.
As there was no roadway on the other side, I had to go bush and got my first notable case of gravel rash.
Oh, the thriii, Ooooh, the joy, and, Ooooooh, the weepng bandages until things healed....... :triportsad:
Yep, pleasant memories.... or. not......:ksc75smile:
Oh no! That's quite unpleasant. 30 inches too, that's pretty large tires!

Glad you're feeling better from the fall, and hope you get well from your flu, like yesterday!
That Stealth B-52 looks pretty cool. I noticed there weren't any prices on their website without requesting a quote. I'm guessing it would not be for those trying to save money over a gas scooter.
To be able to keep up with traffic rather easily is pretty awesome. I see in another one of his videos he is using a full-framed helmet (like the motocross ones), so that's good, at least.

The Stealth B-52 was quoted in comments I've read to be around $10K USD. You'd be saving money over gas quicker if your main vehicle was a Bugatti or ultra-thirsty Ferrari. I've also read you can get the Chinese knockoff versions of the Stealth for around $3K USD.

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 13
upload_2017-9-3_22-45-8.jpeg

So much awesomeness, it just had to be reproduced again.

Seeing it only once is just not enough.....

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 13
@wink - if there is ever a CanJam in your neck of the woods, you can experience the exhilarating awesomeness of the Swagtron Swagger yourself - max speed of 15mph/24.1kph! You'll be passing walkers and joggers alike!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back