Enter Professional Audio: What does it take?
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thatBeatsguy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,
   I've been wondering about this for quite some time now, so I want to ask about what it takes to get into the world of pro audio. I know that some of you out here are band members, musicians, audio engineers, or DJs, so I'd really like to ask you guys what I would need.
   Of course, I need musical skill first and foremost. I learned piano under a tutor for about three months, but since I don't plan to go anywhere near classical music, I am now studying on my own. I'm still learning improv, more chords, and lots of music theory there, so I still have a long way to go. As for other instruments, I've been trying my hand at drums (it's a helluva lot of fun), and I've played a little bit of guitar.

Then come the hardware. My piano is a Yamaha P-105 full-size digital piano, and a Casio LK-100 keyboard that I use as a MIDI controller. My drums are...well...just the ones I have on GarageBand on the iPad. My guitar needs restringing (or maybe a full-blown replacement), because either way, it sounds like crap. I have a simple laptop and a mid to low-end workstation-spec desktop. It doesn't seem like much, but to me it seems adequate.
   As for software I have Mixcraft 6 on-hand in my computer, but should the need arise, I could always get other software like FL Studio. I also have a drum sequencer software on my iPod called EasyBeats 2.

Well, other than that, I have no idea how to start taking my steps in pro audio. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Saying "pro audio" is little like saying "pro sports" - it's too broad a description. There are big differences between being a musician, a DJ, an audio engineer, an agent, a business manager, a music store clerk, etc, etc.

I also think there's a big difference between audio as a hobby and audio that pays the bills. Good luck!

Edit: I just saw in another thread that you are 13 years old. OK, now I have different advice: Stay in school and get as much education as you can!

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Saying "pro audio" is little like saying "pro sports" - it's too broad a description. There are big differences between being a musician, a DJ, an audio engineer, an agent, a business manager, a music store clerk, etc, etc.

I also think there's a big difference between audio as a hobby and audio that pays the bills. Good luck!

Edit: I just saw in another thread that you are 13 years old. OK, now I have different advice: Stay in school and get as much education as you can!

Meh, good point. Well, I guess waiting will have to do. Thanks for the tips btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back