Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #9,271 of 9,894
Hello,

The surcharge for the Vcap cutf is a bit hefty, but you will soon forget it.
And it's worth it in the end.
Most of the time I listen with them in Ultimate because they also play completely fatigue-free.
Everything you read about them is true once you've heard them.
As a side note to the Cutf, the first 40 hours give you a rough idea of what to expect, after that there are always descents up to 400 hours.
Between 400-450 h the capacitor opens up and then it's good.
And only enjoy 95% of it.
You no longer think about the costs.
There are very few tubes where you will say that it is too much with the Vcap.
In one combination it was the case that the Mundorf sounded better, otherwise it always outperformed the Mundorf.
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who has heard it and has a similar opinion.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #9,272 of 9,894
Hello,

The surcharge for the Vcap cutf is a bit hefty, but you will soon forget it.
And it's worth it in the end.
Most of the time I listen with them in Ultimate because they also play completely fatigue-free.
Everything you read about them is true once you've heard them.
As a side note to the Cutf, the first 40 hours give you a rough idea of what to expect, after that there are always descents up to 400 hours.
Between 400-450 h the capacitor opens up and then it's good.
And only enjoy 95% of it.
You no longer think about the costs.
There are very few tubes where you will say that it is too much with the Vcap.
In one combination it was the case that the Mundorf sounded better, otherwise it always outperformed the Mundorf.
I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who has heard it and has a similar opinion.

Would be interesting to have both VCAP Cutf and Duelund CAST-PIO Cu in the amp for a comparison.

Review from https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

VCap CuTF Copper Foil and Fluoropolymer Film 0,01uF 600VDC bypass - 5% tolerance

Sound: After near endless burn-in time the main thing that stands out with the VCap CuTF used as a bypass capacitor is the great transparancy and air it gives to recordings. The top end of the spectrum come across with light-footed, fine detail retrieving lots of ambient information such as concert hall acoustics, etc. This is especially noticable with recordings of classical music, but popular music also benefits from increased depth in the sound stage and sort of "high pressure hose down" of the recording. The CuTF can be used as a bypass capacitor basically anywhere in a loudspeaker crossover, in series and in parallel positions. Now this is where I find it difficult to say which is "best". Objectively speaking I would say that the Duelund bypass capacitors and the VCap are on the same high sound quality level, all letting you retrieve more information from a recording, resulting in more overall enjoyment :) Subjectively speaking I would say that I personally prefer the Duelund JDM Silver bypass as I find it to give me more of what I am looking for in music: realism and of richness of tone. In contrast I find the transparancy and air of the VCap CuTF (although fun) to sound like high-end audio. This overall tidy and transparant character of the CuTF has less of the "being there" effect that I found the Duelund bypass capacitors to do well, please read my description of the Duelund tinned copper foil for how I listen to music. So all in all I really like the VCap CuTF and when used as a bypass capacitor it is equally good as the Duelund Cu-Ag and Duelund Cu-Sn bypass capacitors, just totally different.

Duelund CAST Cu-Ag Hybrid Loudspeaker Capacitor 100VDC - 2% tolerance

Sound: The CAST copper silver hybrid capacitor is very similar to the pure copper version but with added top end openness. The hybrid is same as the CAST-Cu in regards to having an extremely neutral tonal balance with very life like harmonics, especially audible with acoustic instruments but things ssem a little clearer, more "there". For example, William Lawes' "Consort Sets in Five & Six Parts" (performed by Jordi Savall with Hesperion XXI) is known for it's rich and structured nature, with the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid this layered form of music becomes more obvious, more tangible than with the pure copper version. It seems like the silver content makes the top end "shine" a little more, making it easier to differentiate between all the rich harmonic overtones this type of music is well known for. In direct comparison to a Mundorf Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil they sound darker but that is only relative because the Mundorf focusses on the top end with (to my ears) a little too much energy. The Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid simply sounds so much more like real music to me, more intimate as well. The Duelund copper silver hybrid has a natural ease, is just about tonally perfect, spatious, smooth and open at the same time. Comparing it with the lower cost Duelunds such as the Rs-Cu, the RS seems a little "calmer" and less well defined in the top octave. Now, I did find rating this capacitor to be a little difficult because one could be inclined to say that the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid must be "at least 2 points better" than the Duelund CAST-Cu, especially after having such great results with Duelund's seperate 0,01uF pure silver bypass capacitors. I would be more inclined to say that if you have a system that is performing extremely well, tonally well balanced, coherent and musical and you want to get some more "life" out of it, the Duelund CAST-Cu-Ag Hybrid is the only way to go. As from now I will be supplying the Plutone loudspeaker with this capacitor as an optional extra. That prooves just how good it is. You won't be dissapointed :)

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #9,273 of 9,894
Woke up to be greeted by the beautiful sound from SupremE with HD800. This Sennheiser with the right tube amp is still as relevant today as when it was first introduced in 2009.

Also trying this full wave direct heated rectifier 5T4 for the first time. It has the same electrical spec as 5U4G. Strange I have never heard this rectifier mentioned in the rectifier thread. It is an old tube from the 1940s. :)

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg
K1E date code = Jan-Feb 1943 OEM

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #9,274 of 9,894
K1E date code = Jan-Feb 1943 OEM

Thanks. Very old tube but the condition is like new. Eric has a lot of these golden nuggets and he throws them in a box !

Tested this Chinese 5Z4P metal base which is similar to a 5AR4 / GZ34. Sounds great.

s-l1600 (81).jpg

IMG_9052.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #9,275 of 9,894
By now I've arrived at nirvana with the SupremE. I think I will just keep this amp for myself. :yum: Both RCA 5691 (6SL7) and c3g drives the humble EH 300B so well and the sound is surreal. Pure ecstasy. Using my own Mullard 5U4G rectifier. As with Hai's UltimatE, I find this direct heated rectifier perform very well in the amps and I just love what I am hearing.

IMG_9054.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #9,277 of 9,894
Many sources get this wrong. The 5Z4P can provide at most 125mA whereas the 5AR4 can provide up to 250mA. Not even close....

Yeah I know they are not exactly the same but sounds great nevertheless in SupremE. 5AR4 is great for powerful tube amps like in Odyssey.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #9,278 of 9,894
Tomas once told me that if you have max volume and you need to use it, then use it. It's not there for show or as reserve. SupremE gain is slightly lower than UltimatE. With Susvara, I set the volume knob to 2 to 3pm for comfortably loud. On the UltimatE, I would set it to 12 noon. This is with c3g as drivers. 6SL7 is similar.

I wanted to hear SupremE performance as a preamp with 300b tubes. I hooked it up to my 265w into 4 ohms Redgum integrated amp and listen with Susvara on it, grinning uncontrollably. Fortunately there is no one in the room to see me in this state. So if you have Susvara and you crave more power, this is the way to do it but SupremE or UltimatE will drive Susvara if you don't hear at ear splitting levels.

A stock Woo Audio 274B is in the amp now. This direct heated rectifier works well with SupremE. I am glad that the amp can use a wide range of rectifiers - direct and indirect heated.

300B PREAMP.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #9,279 of 9,894
This might be of interest to you otherwise just press next.

Regarding UltimatE and SupremE :-

Both amp the high working voltage IS DC ( Supreme use higher DC )

Both Amp Rectifier and driver tubes are using AC filament power supply.

Supreme power tubes ( 300B, 2A3, 45 ) use DC filament power supply, UltimatE power tubes ( 6Y6G, KT88 etc ) use AC filament power supply.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #9,280 of 9,894
This might be of interest to you otherwise just press next.

Regarding UltimatE and SupremE :-

Both amp the high working voltage IS DC ( Supreme use higher DC )

Both Amp Rectifier and driver tubes are using AC filament power supply.

Supreme power tubes ( 300B, 2A3, 45 ) use DC filament power supply, UltimatE power tubes ( 6Y6G, KT88 etc ) use AC filament power supply.
With the Supreme can you still use KT88, EL34,6Y6 ,etc ?

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #9,283 of 9,894
Ah ok ,cheers. I think I see one in my future :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: does it output a bit more power ? I want it to drive my speakers (96db) as well as headphones, I am in love with my UltimatE but have always wanted a 300b speaker amp

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #9,284 of 9,894
Ah ok ,cheers. I think I see one in my future :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: does it output a bit more power ? I want it to drive my speakers (96db) as well as headphones, I am in love with my UltimatE but have always wanted a 300b speaker amp

On specs it is 4 to 5 watts but it seems similar in power to Ultimate. Eric does 300b amps that output 8 watts into 4 ohms for speakers but it wouldn’t be as quiet with headphones as SupremE.

My previous 300b amp Destiny is a speaker amp that drives Susvara very well … and speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back