Error messages when trying playback ALAC files in foobar
Sep 18, 2006 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I just did a batch conversion of FLAC files to ALAC files using dbpoweramp and while the new ALAC's seem to work fine in iTunes 7 I get error messages when I try to play them in foobar. Not a huge deal but I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea what's wrong, if I did something wrong or if there's something I need to change/update?

The error messages read as follows:

ERROR [foo_input_std]: MP4: unable to find correct sound track in the MP4 file

ERROR [Core]: error opening file for playback

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 8
WOW! That was a complete total brain fart. For some reason I thought I had ALAC's working previously. Ends up I was still using foobar version 0.8.3. Downloaded the needed component from your link as well as the latest version and things work fine. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 8
How was dbPoweramp at doing batch conversion from FLAC to ALAC? I am considering either converting to ALAC for Foobar and iPod, or trying that iPod loader from the same company as dbPoweramp. That program is advertised to transcode the FLAC to ALAC as it loads the iPod. If that actually worked, I could keep my lossless library in FLAC, but could put ALAC files on my ipod when I wanted to use lossless instead of MP3.

Sep 19, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
How was dbPoweramp at doing batch conversion from FLAC to ALAC? I am considering either converting to ALAC for Foobar and iPod, or trying that iPod loader from the same company as dbPoweramp. That program is advertised to transcode the FLAC to ALAC as it loads the iPod. If that actually worked, I could keep my lossless library in FLAC, but could put ALAC files on my ipod when I wanted to use lossless instead of MP3.

I just converted some Flac files to apple lossless using dbpoweramp ALAC encoder, but iTunes won't play it for some reason.

Anybody successfully doing this?

BTW, do you have the link to dbpoweramp iPod loader?

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

The batch conversion was absolutely painless, once I figured where to actually go to do the batch all that was needed was to pick the folder/s to convert, the destination and let it go for a few hours. The trick was figuring out that you have to go through dMC File Selector as opposed to the dMC File Convertor.

Jon L, I don't have an iPod yet, I'm just in the process of preparing my files for when my iPod arrives. Your account doesn't bode well.
blink.gif

I believe this is what Bones13 is talking about.

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Sveta is it indeed Elnero.

I read the forums for the Sveta program, and it seemed to me that the 5G ipod gave it difficulties.

I will probably just look at doing a full convert of my FLAC library to ALAC, at least the stuff I would want to listen to lossless on my ipod. The "uber" ripped MP3s are actually pretty good, and the amount of music one can carry decreases significantly with the lossless files. Its not like I am putting in much "critical listening" time while traveling. Longer trips include the USB hard disk and my laptop with TotalBitHead.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I read the forums for the Sveta program, and it seemed to me that the 5G ipod gave it difficulties.

I was thinking about this earlier today, I'm thinking using Sveta would probably negate the new gapless feature on the 5G's as well. I don't have the iPod or Sveta as yet so I'm not sure on this.

Quote:

I will probably just look at doing a full convert of my FLAC library to ALAC, at least the stuff I would want to listen to lossless on my ipod. The "uber" ripped MP3s are actually pretty good, and the amount of music one can carry decreases significantly with the lossless files. Its not like I am putting in much "critical listening" time while traveling. Longer trips include the USB hard disk and my laptop with TotalBitHead.

One thing to note, and JonL should take note as well, in another thread I posted someone else mentioned having problems using dBPowerAMP ripped FLAC files on the iPod, their workaround was to let iTunes re-encode them as lossless, apparently this got them working on the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back