Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #1,276 of 1,389
Looks great!

What other 6SN7s... What's the budget? Unlimited. Great! We can help. :ksc75smile:

You can spend a few months touring the NOS tube factories in the States (as well as spending lots of USD). Check the 6SN7 ID thread. Then the 6SN7 Reference thread to be fully ref'd up.

If this was 2010, then you would need to track down a pair of Tung-Sol Round Plate 6SN7s. Probably cheaper to time travel, than purchase now. Classic rich tonality. Everyone should have a pair. Or two. Even better, some say, is the TS VT-99 round plate - the round plate predecessor to their 6SN7. Need adapters, but let's try to stay on the 6SN7 track - try to stop interrupting. :joy:

Over on the Sylvania ranch, a pair of VT-231s. Classic Sylvi sound - a bit brilliant up top - and clean on down. Or consider a pair of the Sylvi 6SN7Ws instead - great resolution and tight bottom end. But probably best to get both. Again if you had adapters, the Frankie loctal 7N7 has the same innards as the 6SN7W for lower cost... but more adapters and I asked you not to mention those. Yet.

There's also the Gold Brand Sylvania 6SN7GTB that has move up my rankings. Tough to find a pair tho.

CBS/Hytron 6SN7GT is a more mellow alternative to the showy Sylvi's. Very sweet tone for a sweet price.

Now let's take a seaplane over to the old country for a pair of Brimar 6SN7 (CV1988) - delightful midrange and one of my fav 6SN7s overall. The linked pair is the clear glass which I enjoy - and that pair isfrom a Kiwi seller which is just a couple derogatory remarks away from your land. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The black glass Brimar 6SN7 are very special as well - especially the price.

There's only a few dozens more to suggest... but will save something for later. Yes, including your keen apatite for adapters. 🤣
Let madness prevail…..😂

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,277 of 1,389
Please see above... we're not talking about adapters yet... @andrewchoppa wants to spend hundreds thousands on 6SN7s first. :joy:

And yes, it will work. But so will a pair of ECC40s from 1952 or a quad of delicious L63s... but we're not there yet. :ksc75smile:
Oh sweet Jesus!!!!!!! 😂😂😂

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #1,278 of 1,389
Well, 6F8G and 7N7 are equivalents, so you can forget about the adapters and just imagine they are invisible :wink:

I feel sad about your wallets.

BTW, mr. Choppa would be cool to compare the Eufonika with his McChanson and let us know what's different and how. :wink:
Yes very good point. Lachlan from passion for sound has it at the moment, having a play. Should have it back in a few weeks then will go nuts comparing!!

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #1,279 of 1,389
Does anyone know the uf value and voltage rating of the output capacitors in the H5 the ones that are used in the milflex version. I ask as I see Milflex have released a new silver foil capacitor range.

Edit found the answer

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #1,281 of 1,389
Never opened up my H5, but in my H7 it’s 0.1uF, 600V for the KPCU-01 and 250V for the KPCU-03.

I found a internal pic it looked like 1uf which would make them to expensive as the H5 needs four. If 0.1uf it might have been a option I would guess Eufonika gets a good deal on Milflex as they are also manufactured in Poland.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #1,282 of 1,389
I found a internal pic it looked like 1uf which would make them to expensive as the H5 needs four. If 0.1uf it might have been a option I would guess Eufonika gets a good deal on Milflex as they are also manufactured in Poland.

1uf is not a stock value. H5 uses a min. value of 0.047uf for the interstage cap. 0.1uf will work as well. Same values for the output cap bypasses.

I've used Duelund silver foil 0.001uf to bypass Miflex or Duelund copper foil input caps. Unfortunately, I heard a difference - and liked it.

Tube rolling and cap rolling. I can stop anytime I want.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #1,283 of 1,389
1000000261.jpg

My 8 tube monster is finally here! I ordered it last March for my birthday. I went in looking to get an H5 Miflex and Wieslaw pitched this with 6 tubes dual mono. Halfway through the first one he decided it needed more tubes and more chokes! First one had a problem right out of the gate. Something shorted. Wieslaw built me another one and added dual volume for me. Listening to it right now, it was definitely worth the wait. Blows my other head amp and Yamaha receiver out of the water. I'm using it as a preamp into my Yami's main. Just holy crap, man. Not even sure what model this is. I think the prototype was H33m.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,284 of 1,389
Congratulations on a beautiful yet brutal amplifier!!! Could I ask about some available parameters (power) and what tubes are used? :wink:

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,285 of 1,389
Congratulations on a beautiful yet brutal amplifier!!! Could I ask about some available parameters (power) and what tubes are used? :wink:
I don't have any power or distortion figures for it, but it uses 1X 6N1P and 3X 6S19P tubes per channel. I believe it has 1 transformer and at least 3 noise chokes per channel. I haven't had to push it past 11 o'clock yet.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #1,286 of 1,389
I don't have any power or distortion figures for it, but it uses 1X 6N1P and 3X 6S19P tubes per channel. I believe it has 1 transformer and at least 3 noise chokes per channel. I haven't had to push it past 11 o'clock yet.
The 6S19P is an interesting tube - from what I can gather from its datasheet and use cases it seems to be the nearest Soviet equivalent to the GEC A2293 - they work well as power tubes with proper adapters in the H5M.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #1,287 of 1,389
The 6S19P is an interesting tube - from what I can gather from its datasheet and use cases it seems to be the nearest Soviet equivalent to the GEC A2293 - they work well as power tubes with proper adapters in the H5M.
that's interesting to know. I didn't think there were any equivalents. I also asked Wieslaw about rolling 6BQ7As for the 691Ps, but he hadn't heard of it. Things I've read say they wouldn't be better, though.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #1,288 of 1,389
that's interesting to know. I didn't think there were any equivalents. I also asked Wieslaw about rolling 6BQ7As for the 691Ps, but he hadn't heard of it. Things I've read say they wouldn't be better, though.
Well, its not a direct equivalent but their use cases and characteristics are close.. also 7233 is another close tube with similar use cases and properties/characteristics

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #1,289 of 1,389
Feb 8, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #1,290 of 1,389
Those of you who follow this thread, or the Reference 6SN7 or Schiit Happened threads, among others, have probably seen posts by Globalwarming. He has been offering up wry comments and sage advice about cap and tube rolling for some time, and I consider him a friend and mentor. Well, not long ago he mentioned a DIY “traffo house” here that he uses to listen to his Hifiman Arya planars with his H5. I built one for about $50 so I could listen to my Aryas, and let me tell you it sounds great. If you have planars or other low impedance ‘phones you’d like to use wth your OTL amp, I highly recommend you encourage Global to share his schematic. It’s an easy build - believe me, if I could build it, you can. Here's a shot of mine:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back