Feliks Audio Echo (new budget OTL amp)
Feb 27, 2018 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 542

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
Looks like Feliks Audio haven't forgotten about those on a tighter budget.

http://www.feliksaudio.pl/

Launching echo
Available for Preorder
Many of you asked for a more affordable headphone amplifier. One that would still deliver stunning sound fidelity and don't compromise build quality. Please welcome echo - a "back to basics" OTL with enough juice to drive mid to high impedance headphones. We even given it a fully protected pre-amp functionality. All of that in a good looking chassis (real wood finish!) and supported by unmatched Feliks Audio attention to detail, customer service and reliability. Please contact us to pre-order at introductory price of only 369 € (incl. VAT)!

Some technical specification:

• Power tubes 6N6P x 2, driver tubes 6N1P x 2
  • RCA audio input, RCA audio output (pre-amp)
  • Frequency response: 15 Hz - 45 Khz +/- 3 dB
  • Power output: 350mW
  • THD: 0.4 % (300 ohm, 20 mW)
  • Optimal headphones impedance: 100 - 600 ohm
echo_news.png

Feb 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 542
Looks like a slimmed down Espressivo. From my experience with Feliks Audio, it's going to be excellent for the price.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 542
This does indeed look another very good value-for-money headphone amp from Feliks-Audio, and well-constructed.

This will take their range from budget to (possibly) forthcoming top-of-the-range 2A3 based hp and speaker amp - quite a feat for a relatively small, family run business!

Good luck, F-A!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 542
I was hoping to see more impressions of the Echo, but it doesn't seem too popular, yet. I'd been leaning towards a Valhalla 2 as my first tube amp, but then fell in love with the Euforia at CanJam. Since the Valhalla and the Echo come stock with the same tubes, I'm now leaning towards Feliks, but it would be really nice to see some reviews, somewhere.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 542
I was hoping to see more impressions of the Echo, but it doesn't seem too popular, yet. I'd been leaning towards a Valhalla 2 as my first tube amp, but then fell in love with the Euforia at CanJam. Since the Valhalla and the Echo come stock with the same tubes, I'm now leaning towards Feliks, but it would be really nice to see some reviews, somewhere.

Only reviews I've found are:

https://headfonics.com/2018/08/feliks-audio-echo-review/

https://medium.com/@walloffire/review-feliks-audio-echo-headphone-amplifier-97d303bd7224

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 542
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 542
Hi
I just got my Echo. Too early for a review. Still want to share some first impressions with you. First thing to say is, that ordering, payment and shipping was some of the best I experienced so far in my long history of online-shopping of HiFi. Lukasz responded very fast and kind to my questions and after less than a week (weekend included) from the 1st contact, the amp was already delivered in a secure packed double box. Perfect. Second, this thing just looks fantastic. Very solid build quality and the wood on the side matches perfectly with the black metal chassis. So far, flawless quality.

As I said, I can't comment on the sound quality too much yet. All I can say is, that before the Echo I was using a Schiit Magni 3, which imho is a great little amp for a very reasonable price. Before Shiit I was using an integrated and before that I even owned a Woo Audio WA6SE which I had to sell. That was long ago so no detailed comparisons with Woo I could do anymore. The thing with Magni was, that to my ears (or for my headphones), the sound was kind of fatiguing after a certain time. This isn't necessarily a problem of the Magni, not at all. I loved that amp and might keep it. This wasn't a big deal, as I don't usually spend that much time listening through headphones. But comparing the Magni and Echo is apples and oranges anyway, as this one costs 4 or 5 times as much. So back to the Echo. I only had time for 2 albums so far. To me, right out of the box, this appears to sound smoother and more balanced. But at the same time more than enough punchy for my taste. Everything seems to be in the place it has to be. Until now I didn't notice any noise. Not considering myself an audiophile by any means, I can't make reliable reviews with terms you might expect on this board. Especially because english is not my mother tongue. But to make a long story short, my first impressions make me feel, that the sound coming out of the echo could be that well balanced music I was missing since the days of the Woo. If my 1st impressions will be verified after the burn in (not many doubts on this one), and considering the fair price tag, the looks and build quality and last but not least the super service of this manufacturer, this could be a keeper for a long time.

Only problem ist, that the Echo makes me want to buy new headphones now...

cheers

Sep 27, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 542
Hi
I just got my Echo. Too early for a review. Still want to share some first impressions with you. First thing to say is, that ordering, payment and shipping was some of the best I experienced so far in my long history of online-shopping of HiFi. Lukasz responded very fast and kind to my questions and after less than a week (weekend included) from the 1st contact, the amp was already delivered in a secure packed double box. Perfect. Second, this thing just looks fantastic. Very solid build quality and the wood on the side matches perfectly with the black metal chassis. So far, flawless quality.

As I said, I can't comment on the sound quality too much yet. All I can say is, that before the Echo I was using a Schiit Magni 3, which imho is a great little amp for a very reasonable price. Before Shiit I was using an integrated and before that I even owned a Woo Audio WA6SE which I had to sell. That was long ago so no detailed comparisons with Woo I could do anymore. The thing with Magni was, that to my ears (or for my headphones), the sound was kind of fatiguing after a certain time. This isn't necessarily a problem of the Magni, not at all. I loved that amp and might keep it. This wasn't a big deal, as I don't usually spend that much time listening through headphones. But comparing the Magni and Echo is apples and oranges anyway, as this one costs 4 or 5 times as much. So back to the Echo. I only had time for 2 albums so far. To me, right out of the box, this appears to sound smoother and more balanced. But at the same time more than enough punchy for my taste. Everything seems to be in the place it has to be. Until now I didn't notice any noise. Not considering myself an audiophile by any means, I can't make reliable reviews with terms you might expect on this board. Especially because english is not my mother tongue. But to make a long story short, my first impressions make me feel, that the sound coming out of the echo could be that well balanced music I was missing since the days of the Woo. If my 1st impressions will be verified after the burn in (not many doubts on this one), and considering the fair price tag, the looks and build quality and last but not least the super service of this manufacturer, this could be a keeper for a long time.

Only problem ist, that the Echo makes me want to buy new headphones now...

cheers

Excellent first impressions, what headphones are you using with it?

Yes Feliks Audio have excellent service and Lukasz is a great guy!

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 542
I've been using a Beyer dt880 for about 10 years very happily. But I couldn't resist and bought the Beyer dt1990pro just today. Enough expenses for a while....

Excellent choice of cans!

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 542
I have been listening to Feliks Audio Echo for a little while now, and man, I am in love with its musicality :)

Works amazingly well with both Ultrasone Signature DXP and Audeze LCD-MX4 :)

Planars like lots of current, not what the Echo can do, even though it might sound ok it's not ideal for the Audeze. Also the high output impedance probably isn't a good match for your Signature DXP. You really need to try it with some high impedance dynamics for your review if possible :)

Yes my Espressivo MKII sounds ok with my HE-500's but it doesn't really drive them properly, however when driving my GMP400's it's a match made in heaven.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 542
Planars like lots of current, not what the Echo can do, even though it might sound ok it's not ideal for the Audeze. Also the high output impedance probably isn't a good match for your Signature DXP. You really need to try it with some high impedance dynamics for your review if possible :)

Yes my Espressivo MKII sounds ok with my HE-500's but it doesn't really drive them properly, however when driving my GMP400's it's a match made in heaven.

Oh, Beyerdynamic Amiron should make a sweet pairing with it as well then :)

You know, I kinda like how Audeze and Signature DXP sound with it, although now that you mention it, I was thinking what it pairs best with.

Do you think it would be worth to attach it to a speaker setup as a pre-amp to give them a little more tube in their sound? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back