Fidue, New IEM company from china with some promising models including a Hybrid design.
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #31 of 50
Please do a brief comparison when you can vs H-300 and DN-2000. Just received DN-2000, not blown away yet like I was with the H-300.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #32 of 50
The A83's not my personal cup of tea, but I do find that it scales up with a better source. The dynamic driver's performance needs a good source to drive it to its full potential. I'm sure there are people who like this sound signature, though. It's quasi Audio-Technica.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #33 of 50
  The A83's not my personal cup of tea, but I do find that it scales up with a better source. The dynamic driver's performance needs a good source to drive it to its full potential. I'm sure there are people who like this sound signature, though. It's quasi Audio-Technica.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the sound sig and sound stage? How do they compare to the DN1000 if you've heard them? Thanks!

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #34 of 50
  Would you mind elaborating a bit on the sound sig and sound stage? How do they compare to the DN1000 if you've heard them? Thanks!

A few quick points then:
  • I'm not a fan of the fit. It doesn't jive with my ears very well and sticks out.
  • The cables are quite nice and robust feeling. Almost everyone will like the cables. The MMCX even has a lock-and-key tab to keep itself from swiveling.
  • Personally, I feel the sound is a little hollow, without having the biggest soundstage around. There's a small midrange scoop going on. It has enough lower mids and upper mids to not be recessed-sounding, but the midrange is most certainly colored, and that's what I personally don't like.
  • There's a good deal of mid-bass and sub-bass; with a poor source (I don't mean cheap --- the bad source in question here is an AK120) the bass doesn't feel well-controlled and can feel a little jumbled. Not quite muddy, but not fast and articulate. I switched over to the AK240 and the bass speed/control was much better. I'm not saying that the A83 needs something as good as the AK240 to sound good (actually, I don't even like the AK240 myself because it costs too much) but people should make sure to have a source that can control bass well. Only then will the bass sound well-textured enough.
  • Soundstage feels average to me, honestly. Center image is relatively open, but absolute width feels like any other higher-end IEM.
  • There's some sibilance/harshness. Not too much, but it's there.
  • Detail is... good? Well, I dunno, I have extreme expectations of detail, so in most peoples' eyes the A83 should have good levels of detail. For me, it's above average, but I'm neither impressed nor disappointed.

Regarding the DN1000, I'd say that you're not missing a whole lot if you stick with the DN1000. In terms of hybrids, the DN1000 is a nice cost-performance happy point.

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #36 of 50

A few quick points then:
  • I'm not a fan of the fit. It doesn't jive with my ears very well and sticks out.
  • The cables are quite nice and robust feeling. Almost everyone will like the cables. The MMCX even has a lock-and-key tab to keep itself from swiveling.
  • Personally, I feel the sound is a little hollow, without having the biggest soundstage around. There's a small midrange scoop going on. It has enough lower mids and upper mids to not be recessed-sounding, but the midrange is most certainly colored, and that's what I personally don't like.
  • There's a good deal of mid-bass and sub-bass; with a poor source (I don't mean cheap --- the bad source in question here is an AK120) the bass doesn't feel well-controlled and can feel a little jumbled. Not quite muddy, but not fast and articulate. I switched over to the AK240 and the bass speed/control was much better. I'm not saying that the A83 needs something as good as the AK240 to sound good (actually, I don't even like the AK240 myself because it costs too much) but people should make sure to have a source that can control bass well. Only then will the bass sound well-textured enough.
  • Soundstage feels average to me, honestly. Center image is relatively open, but absolute width feels like any other higher-end IEM.
  • Detail is... good? Well, I dunno, I have extreme expectations of detail, so in most peoples' eyes the A83 should have good levels of detail. For me, it's above average, but I'm neither impressed nor disappointed.

Regarding the DN1000, I'd say that you're not missing a whole lot if you stick with the DN1000. In terms of hybrids, the DN1000 is a nice cost-performance happy point.

Thank you, super helpful!

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #38 of 50
Yeah fit is pretty average, at least for my ear (and most people with larger ear/canal), the standard cable's memory wire is a bit too long IMHO

djvkool , is it better then the dunu dn2000?

I would say it sounds similar to DN2k (based on a couple of hours listening last night), A83 has a thicker note and slightly bigger bass

more soon after I spend some more time with it 
wink_face.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #40 of 50
Just as a clarification: I'm sure there'll be people who will like the A83's sound signature --- just not me.

I find that Fidue's products all have a quasi-ATH feel to their sound signatures, which is certainly not a bad course to take.

Personally, I'd love to have a conversation with Mr. Benny Tan and understand how he approaches sound tuning.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #41 of 50
Yeah they will be sending me a set. Hifiheadphones introduced me to them, and Michael Lin is a really nice guy.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #42 of 50
Had a quick listen to one side of the A83, let's just say I cannot wait to get mine. Crisp, controlled, detailed. Maybe the MIDs are a tiny bit behind but nothing serious.
I'll say I preferred them to the H-300 from my first listen. Still haven't really listened to the DN-2000 but it sounds a little too warm and lush for my taste.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #43 of 50
I'm almost sure the A83 will replace my Westone UM Pro 30 as my day to day IEM.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #44 of 50

A few quick points then:

Thanks for your sound description!

These IEMs look intriguing, and although I probably won't be diving for it due to it's cost, I wouldn't mind knowing more about it. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #45 of 50
Please do a brief comparison when you can vs H-300 and DN-2000. Just received DN-2000, not blown away yet like I was with the H-300.

DN2k blew me away actually 
tongue_smile.gif
 and it is actually one of my all time favourite IEM

I will indeed to a thorough comparison between A83 against the rest of the current triple hybrid, including Altone2000 if the timing is convenient, when I do my review

At this stage, I would say A83 will satisfy those who like DN2k, but feels that DN2k is a bit too light in the bass department, though I think DN2k renders vocal slightly better than A83 (that extra thickness make vocals sounds a little bit too weighed down, if you know what I mean) - but those who prefer thicker midrange/vocals will feel right at home...

True bass lovers however, will rejoice for A81, this one is sweet indeed - midrange is slightly recessed, but the bass...hmmm...the bass...hits hard, thick, creamy, excellent textures, and at the same time pretty fast and nimble too. Impact wise is slightly less than H-300, but I feet that it is better balanced to the rest of the spectrum

Both A81 and A83 in general, the build quality both are amongst the best that I've seen, and the quality of the cables are second to none, I mean, seriously, the best quality cables within that price range, thick, solid, but soft enough, and tangle free.

More soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back