[FiiO FW5]HiFi True Wireless Armature Balanced Earbuds,96kHz/24bit Snapdragon Sound, LHDC support, Flagship TWS chip Qualcomm QCC5141 + independent AKM DAC/Amp AK4332
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #635 of 668
So probably the LHDC version implemented on the chipset's firmware.
It's not about LHDC version. Any version may have max bitrate limit. Here's an example for 2/3/4:
IMG_20240131_163011.jpg

5 is similar, but I don't have such a nice table for it.
We have v3/v4/v5, which one gets reported?
FW5 only has v3.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #636 of 668
I'm assuming that AptX Adaptive transmitting from a dongle like the Creative BT-W5 in high-quality mode is the best solution. Or is LHDC better quality? I haven't been able to find much information on the LHDC modes. I had thought that my FiiO DAP indicated LHDC V4 Mode 10 (checking from the Bluetooth Codec Changer) but I should probably check again to validate.

Edit - I was totally wrong. My FiiO M11 Plus reports LHDC V3, Option 7 at 24/96 when connected to my FW5 and playing music.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #638 of 668
Hi @FiiO
FW v1.6 download link: Click here

The following changes and improvements have been made in the new firmware:

1. Optimize battery management

2. Fixed an issue that the voice tone changes after the headset is actively connected when the aptX adaptive Bluetooth coding is connected to some mobile phones

3. Add custom EQ to support high-low-pass filter adjustment

4. Add a custom EQ name

Big fan of the FW5 here! Just wanna let you know that the sound quality is awesome and everything is as I imagined before buying the pair.

I just upgraded to v1.6 and am so glad to see the leak through option has been enabled. However, I have some questions on its functionality.

1. When I double click the right or left primary button, it enables the leak through mode but only momentarily for about 5 seconds, and it also activates voice assistant (Siri) at the same time. Is that how you guys wanted it to be? Leak through is also turned on when I activate Siri with voice command.

2. Is there an option to toggle leak through mode on and off for whatever duration that the user wants?

3. Why is leak through mode enabled during calls? Also voice tone changed during calls compared to the previous firmware.

I’d appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #639 of 668
Hi @FiiO

Big fan of the FW5 here! Just wanna let you know that the sound quality is awesome and everything is as I imagined before buying the pair.

I just upgraded to v1.6 and am so glad to see the leak through option has been enabled. However, I have some questions on its functionality.

1. When I double click the right or left primary button, it enables the leak through mode but only momentarily for about 5 seconds, and it also activates voice assistant (Siri) at the same time. Is that how you guys wanted it to be? Leak through is also turned on when I activate Siri with voice command.

2. Is there an option to toggle leak through mode on and off for whatever duration that the user wants?

3. Why is leak through mode enabled during calls? Also voice tone changed during calls compared to the previous firmware.

I’d appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks!
1. Mine doesn't activate when I double click the primary button. Maybe I'm missing something here?

2. Probably through the app, just as they did for the UTWS5. But it's more like on/off rather than for a duration. We need button customization otherwise

3. Probably to make it sound a bit more "natural". Some people prefer hearing their voice during a call.

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #640 of 668
1. Mine doesn't activate when I double click the primary button. Maybe I'm missing something here?

2. Probably through the app, just as they did for the UTWS5. But it's more like on/off rather than for a duration. We need button customization otherwise

3. Probably to make it sound a bit more "natural". Some people prefer hearing their voice during a call.

Try this to activate leak through:
In the FiiO Control app, go to the Audio tab, then scroll down to the bottom. There should be a slider labelled ’Ambient Sound’, and it could be in the off position. Slide it up to whatever volume you want (mine is at 4 only) then try double tapping the primary button to activate leak through mode.

Also I was actually expecting to toggle the mode on / off by just double tapping the right primary button as stated in the guide, as it seemed that FiiO were planning for the function to be that way. But was a bit surprised that the voice assistant was activated as well. I don’t see the point for this.

Ideally, my usage scenario would be either toggling it on so that I can hear when someone is speaking to me while a song is playing in the background then off again (e.g. while doing work) or, in the extreme, wearing the FW5 while jogging/cycling and having leak through enable all the time while a song is playing in the background so I can still be aware of the surroundings for safety purposes.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #643 of 668
Signal reception is very poor - I covered the headphones with my palms and the signal disappeared! This is not the case in the cheapest headphones from two years ago. Experiments to improve the signal have not led to anything yet! Perhaps they came to me broken, but I won’t be able to return them because I live in another country. Complete disappointment from the company from which I have been buying all my audio equipment for 10 years!

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_232623.jpg
    IMG_20240221_232623.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240222_000254.jpg
    IMG_20240222_000254.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240222_235152.jpg
    IMG_20240222_235152.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #644 of 668
Signal reception is very poor - I covered the headphones with my palms and the signal disappeared! This is not the case in the cheapest headphones from two years ago. Experiments to improve the signal have not led to anything yet! Perhaps they came to me broken, but I won’t be able to return them because I live in another country. Complete disappointment from the company from which I have been buying all my audio equipment for 10 years!
Dear friend,
Some explanations about Bluetooth Connection-From James:
https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202105191604066036305
You may check whether the reason mentioned above caused the problem? And please try to hold the buttons with dots for about 8s at the same time to reconnect again for check.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 27, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #645 of 668
That does not change the fact these earbuds have a very signal strength/poor range, I found that out on day one (covering ear with hand and no sound).

LDAC also works fine at 24/96/990 if you only connect one earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back