FiiO&JadeAudio Over-Ear Headphones Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #169 of 603
My Sundara sample will arrive in a couple of weeks I imagine and I don't want to rely on my memory from a few months ago. But the FT3 isn't the most resolving set owing to the dampening system employed, so it's best treated as a musical unit with very good tonality rather than an analytical set of monitoring headphones.

Also, here's a treat for you guys: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fiio-ft3-open-back-dynamic-driver-headphones

Just submitted it, not even proofread yet let alone actually published. But figured the folks here might be interested.
I discovered your reviews just recently but allready I'm very impressed by your work. I especially like how you disassemble everything.

On topic of FiiO. Vsg28's measurements are accurate. It is indeed surprisingly good headphone for a first try. It will take couple of weeks atleast before I have my review ready.

Also...I'm not a big fan of the "Gamer Look" but I don't mind it when I have the headphones in my hands. Feel of metal wins over the looks. For the money it is really impressive and as VSG28's teardown pictures show the design also has a acoustic reasons. FiiO did not just slap some ninja star on the cups for no reason.

It kind of looks like sci-fi version of Philips X series.
IMG_20230406_204901.jpg

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #170 of 603
My Sundara sample will arrive in a couple of weeks I imagine and I don't want to rely on my memory from a few months ago. But the FT3 isn't the most resolving set owing to the dampening system employed, so it's best treated as a musical unit with very good tonality rather than an analytical set of monitoring headphones.

Also, here's a treat for you guys: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/fiio-ft3-open-back-dynamic-driver-headphones

Just submitted it, not even proofread yet let alone actually published. But figured the folks here might be interested.
Very good review! I agree with just about everything said here, or can at least understand where you're coming from. Very thorough! I feel like I learned a few things. Great read!

I'm planning my own review and will be comparing the FT3 to my Sennheiser HD600's and my Audio-Technica ATH-R70X's. Right now, though, I can't seem to stop listening to the FT3's long enough to start the review. Really enjoying these. Not a single regret.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #171 of 603
I discovered your reviews just recently but allready I'm very impressed by your work. I especially like how you disassemble everything.

On topic of FiiO. Vsg28's measurements are accurate. It is indeed surprisingly good headphone for a first try. It will take couple of weeks atleast before I have my review ready.

Also...I'm not a big fan of the "Gamer Look" but I don't mind it when I have the headphones in my hands. Feel of metal wins over the looks. For the money it is really impressive and as VSG28's teardown pictures show the design also has a acoustic reasons. FiiO did not just slap some ninja star on the cups for no reason.

It kind of looks like sci-fi version of Philips X series.
IMG_20230406_204901.jpg
I used to have the Fidelio X3's and when I first got the FT3's in hand, I was instantly reminded of those headphones. Interesting that they're being brought up so much in comparison. The quality of the build and the materials used are reminiscent of one another. Once you've got them plugged in and start listening, though, it's immediately apparent that the FiiO is a much better tuned headphone. Sounds very effortless and natural with the suede pads on.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #172 of 603
Very good review! I agree with just about everything said here, or can at least understand where you're coming from. Very thorough! I feel like I learned a few things. Great read!

I'm planning my own review and will be comparing the FT3 to my Sennheiser HD600's and my Audio-Technica ATH-R70X's. Right now, though, I can't seem to stop listening to the FT3's long enough to start the review. Really enjoying these. Not a single regret.
Do you find the ft-3 to be less detailed than an hd600 or a r70x?

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #176 of 603
Do you find the ft-3 to be less detailed than an hd600 or a r70x?
I don't find it to be less detailed than either of these. Back to back, I find the HD600 and ATH-R70X to be a little more etched and crisp in the midrange--maybe dry is a better word. Treble is a little grainy on the ATH-R70X, I think. Overall, the FT3 just sounds more smooth and natural and Its timbre, to me, seems to be a little more truthful than the other 2. I haven't had them long, though, so these are fairly initial impressions.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #177 of 603
Burgeoning audiophile here so pardon the lack of detail in my description. I had an ATH-R70x and found it to be warmer sounding than the FT3.
I think the ATH-R70X is definitely warmer sounding than the HD600. Not sure about the FT3, though. FT3 has better extension in the sub-bass, but their mid bass is probably pretty similar to the ATH-R70X. Gotta listen some more to be sure.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #178 of 603
I don't find it to be less detailed than either of these. Back to back, I find the HD600 and ATH-R70X to be a little more etched and crisp in the midrange--maybe dry is a better word. Treble is a little grainy on the ATH-R70X, I think. Overall, the FT3 just sounds more smooth and natural and Its timbre, to me, seems to be a little more truthful than the other 2. I haven't had them long, though, so these are fairly initial impressions.
Pretty bold statement, yours... the aforementioned couple are the most natural ho i've ever had, and I had all the decent production... the graph say the same. I'd just want a reliable and meaty Sundara, a more extended hd600 or a more capable r70x in term of detail and precision. Yes, I know that would be an Arya. I falled in love at first listen but that's not worthy of a divorce.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #179 of 603
Pretty bold statement, yours... the aforementioned couple are the most natural ho i've ever had, and I had all the decent production... the graph say the same. I'd just want a reliable and meaty Sundara, a more extended hd600 or a more capable r70x in term of detail and precision. Yes, I know that would be an Arya. I falled in love at first listen but that's not worthy of a divorce.
I believe what I've said there, so you can understand why I'm so excited about these headphones.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #180 of 603
I offer you another semi accurate measurements with my Chinese IEC711 coupler and stiff pinnae (getting softer pinnae soon, which helps with some dips and peaks). The huge peak at 10 kHz is mainly a coupler resonance, but I feel the region is quite hot anyways, which makes the sound a bit intense especially with pleather pads. The suede pads add some warmth to balance the sound. I let @Roderick tell more when he writes a review of the same pair I measured. If you visit our squig.link, you can also find measurements with some added foam (Superlux or similar) inside the pleather pads. It removes some treble energy if needed.

1680810469021.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back