FIIO K19, the flagship desktop DAC and headphone amplifier
May 7, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #16 of 30
Got the chance to listen to the K19 today. Its nice but I dont think it will replace my K9 pro AKM. What I really like about it is that sudo tube esque smoothness and laid back sound but at the expense of precision slam and texture is a deal breaker for me. it's a pitty since its much thinner as well which means I can fit more stuff on my desk.
Was it run in because if not it will sound atrocious according to an early review.

May 7, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #17 of 30
Was it run in because if not it will sound atrocious according to an early review.
It was run it canjam sg+ a week. Also it's not that it's bad but the signature is smooth and relaxing and ment for longer listening sessions. It's kind of the opposite colouration I want being fast, precise and bringing out micro texture.

That being said I haven't tried playing around with the eq presets yet so maybe that can bring out what I want.

Also I choose fast hybrid as it had the most similar response to my ear to AKM low dispersion filter

All in all I liked it but personal preference wise I wouldnt buy it but can rec it for people that want a slightly warm mostly neutral listen that has inharent tube musicality as part of the colouration.

May 8, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #18 of 30
It was run it canjam sg+ a week. Also it's not that it's bad but the signature is smooth and relaxing and ment for longer listening sessions. It's kind of the opposite colouration I want being fast, precise and bringing out micro texture.

That being said I haven't tried playing around with the eq presets yet so maybe that can bring out what I want.

Also I choose fast hybrid as it had the most similar response to my ear to AKM low dispersion filter

All in all I liked it but personal preference wise I wouldnt buy it but can rec it for people that want a slightly warm mostly neutral listen that has inharent tube musicality as part of the colouration.
Watch these two reviews unless already done so.

May 8, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 30
The FiiO R9 and K19 have now officially passed HDMI certification.
The R9 and K19 support HDMI audio decoding, HDMI OUT, and HDMI ARC functions. To utilize HDMI's patented technology and logo, products must obtain authorization from the HDMI Association and undergo compliant design until passing rigorous testing to achieve HDMI certification. At the inception of the R9 and K19 projects, we applied for membership in the HDMI Association, paid annual dues to become official members, and promptly sent mass production versions of the products to the HDMI Association's authorized testing center, ATC, for testing. Upon passing the tests, the testing organization forwards the results to the HDMI Association headquarters in the United States for review.
In addition to membership fees, each product sent for testing needs to pay testing fees and royalties (i.e., copyright fees). After more than six months of testing on various complex projects, the R9 and K19 have finally obtained HDMI certification, indicating the arduousness of this certification process.
It is worth noting that HDMI certification is not mandatory, but FiiO has consistently adhered to a user-oriented and responsible attitude, ensuring product compliance and broad compatibility, allowing users to better experience the enjoyment brought by HDMI functionality. To this end, we have overcome numerous difficulties and applied for HDMI certification for the R9, K19, and some subsequent new products (currently confidential). Hereby we would like to express special thanks to our team members for their efforts and perseverance.
Note: The HDMI-certified versions of the R9 and K19 are HDMI 1.4b; the certified machines are mass production versions, consistent with the ones currently in use by everyone.

img_v3_00an_74f9f770-280a-45a5-bab2-0e7891dfffdg.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 9, 2024 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 30
This one or the Topping DX9?? Same price
That's an excellent question. One has the discrete amp and less power while the other has THX (clinical sound potentially) and heaps of power plus what looks like an excellent DSP ability.
I am also looking at the K19 or the Aune S9c Pro BT.
I have the K19 and DX9 here to test and compare. I really don't want to write anything more detailed, but I can only say that the K19 is clearly the better device for me.

Basically, the K19 is technically better (resolution of bass/mids/trebles, microdynamics, instrument separations etc.). The DX9 is smoother, a little warmer, has bigger notes and sounds somehow soulless since dynamics are comparatively lacking. In contrast, the K19 is more energetic, more precise, more neutral-analytical, but by no means "too" neutral-analytical. It's not dry; on the contrary, the dynamics are impressive. Nor is it harsh, sibilant or anything similar. A truly remarkable device. The DX9 has only two gain options: low and high. The K19 has five options.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 30
I have the K19 and DX9 here to test and compare. I really don't want to write anything more detailed, but I can only say that the K19 is clearly the better device for me.

Basically, the K19 is technically better (resolution of bass/mids/trebles, microdynamics, instrument separations etc.). The DX9 is smoother, a little warmer, has bigger notes and sounds somehow soulless since dynamics are comparatively lacking. In contrast, the K19 is more energetic, more precise, more neutral-analytical, but by no means "too" neutral-analytical. It's not dry; on the contrary, the dynamics are impressive. Nor is it harsh, sibilant or anything similar. A truly remarkable device. The DX9 has only two gain options: low and high. The K19 has five options.
Would you say the K19 is punchy and energetic and dynamic with peaks and dips? Or is it more of a flat sound signature?

Also, how is the noise floor with sensitive iems?

May 15, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #22 of 30

That's interesting that you noted that it was warm and tube-like. Nobody else has mentioned that from the reviews I've seen. They all seem to suggest it has a neutral reference signature.

May 15, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #23 of 30
Would you say the K19 is punchy and energetic and dynamic with peaks and dips? Or is it more of a flat sound signature?

Also, how is the noise floor with sensitive iems?
Now, after a few days, I would say that it sounds rather on the flat side - unfortunately. The burn in must have played a role here, because the difference at the beginning was clear to me.

I noticed no hiss at all.

That's interesting that you noted that it was warm and tube-like. Nobody else has mentioned that from the reviews I've seen. They all seem to suggest it has a neutral reference signature.
No, definitely not, I wouldn't say that. The DX9 has such a signature.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #24 of 30
Now, after a few days, I would say that it sounds rather on the flat side - unfortunately. The burn in must have played a role here, because the difference at the beginning was clear to me.

I noticed no hiss at all.

No, definitely not, I wouldn't say that. The DX9 has such a signature.
Ah, that's bizarre. Sandu from Soundnews said that it got more energetic over time.

Have you tried applying the Dance preset? A few reviewers said it was their favorite preset.

Also, do you think the K19 is still better than the DX9? I would love to hear why.

May 16, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 30
Ah, that's bizarre. Sandu from Soundnews said that it got more energetic over time.

Have you tried applying the Dance preset? A few reviewers said it was their favorite preset.

Also, do you think the K19 is still better than the DX9? I would love to hear why.
I have to admit that I have actually used it quite little. I'll give it a try and let you know again.

I don't use presets, only OG settings.

Yes definitely, the DX9 was just technically inferior, but I liked the organic, analog timbre a little better. But my N30 also has this timbre, which in turn is much better.

May 16, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 30
I have to admit that I have actually used it quite little. I'll give it a try and let you know again.

I don't use presets, only OG settings.

Yes definitely, the DX9 was just technically inferior, but I liked the organic, analog timbre a little better. But my N30 also has this timbre, which in turn is much better.
Ah, I see. I got the impression the "Dance" preset was probably akin to the "Dynamic" preset on wireless buds, where they boost the bass and treble. If so, maybe this unlocks a more energetic and punchy sound signature.

I think Sandu from Soundnews said he burned in the K19 for 4 days, and then he said it got better.

I have the XD05 Pro, which is a portable DAC Amp, and the sound signature is punchy and fun, and I really like the soundstage depth and 3D layering, especially on desktop mode. And so I was curious if there were any desktop DAC Amp setups that offer the same dynamic sound signature and technicalities that's compatible with sensitive iems.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #27 of 30
Ah, I see. I got the impression the "Dance" preset was probably akin to the "Dynamic" preset on wireless buds, where they boost the bass and treble. If so, maybe this unlocks a more energetic and punchy sound signature.

I think Sandu from Soundnews said he burned in the K19 for 4 days, and then he said it got better.

I have the XD05 Pro, which is a portable DAC Amp, and the sound signature is punchy and fun, and I really like the soundstage depth and 3D layering, especially on desktop mode. And so I was curious if there were any desktop DAC Amp setups that offer the same dynamic sound signature and technicalities that's compatible with sensitive iems.
EDIT: No longer current

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 30
Once again compared with the N30.

Basically, I have to compare both devices with the highest gain to make it fair. I previously wrote this:

"Questyle CMA18 and FiiO K19 in the house. Here are just a few impressions for those who want to know. I don't want to be detailed. Here are some impressions as they came into my head, so they are not systematic, but rather mixed up. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

What makes the N30 so special compared to the CMA18 and K19 is the timbre. Even in SS mode, it is very realistic, lively, vivid and emotional. Bass and mids sound lifelike/authentic, whereas with the others they are comparatively more artificial. Another impressive feature of the N30 is the depth of the stage and general holography. It is clear to hear that the music is multidimensional. I hear a special, unique plasticity, bass and mids stand out. The scene is more forward and this is due to the fact that the N30 has more tone weight. The CMA18 has less weight in the low mids and is brighter in the upper mids. In this respect, the N30 is smoother, but at the same time more detailed in its macrodynamics. In terms of microdynamics, the K19 has the upper hand, but I'm not sure about the CMA18. Perhaps the CMA18 has a little more instrument separation, as the note is not as thick as the N30. There is more space between the instruments compared to the N30, but that would probably be all. The N30 has more texture, especially in the bass and mid range. Taken together, the N30 is absolutely unbeatable for timbre.

Both the CMA18 and the K19 are amazingly good for the price. I bought the K19 for gaming with the PC and Playstation 5. I was very surprised by the technical capabilities of this thing. I really didn't expect anything and I had to realise that it undoubtedly beats the N30 in analytical listening. It reminds me a lot of the DX320Max, but without the weakness/dealbreaker I felt compared to the N30 in terms of bass (little texture), mids (recessed) and stage (narrow). So the K19 definitely has texture in the bass range, the mids are more at the front and the stage is significantly wider than the N30 (but which has more depth). The K19 has less note decay and less fuller low mids than the N30. Both areas can be separated more clearly so that more information can be extracted from the music.

The K19 and N30 are very complementary and per se, i.e. really at a very high level in their respective categories. The K19 wins for neutrality, analyticality and technicality. The N30 wins for musicality, emotionality and immersion. For gaming with the Playstation 5, there is undoubtedly no better device on the market that is UAC 1.0 compatible. In contrast to the N30, the K19 also has no (notably) delay (I'm quite sensitive here), so unfortunately the N30 is not ideal for the PC." https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...n-first-page-all-welcome.957426/post-18114532

Now I would say that the timbre of the K19 seems more correct. I sometimes have the feeling that the N30 has a longer delay in the midbass and is therefore too strong. The note of the N30 is bigger than the K19, the sound is more organic, so the K19 has more precision and better imaging. I would say that the N30 only wins for emotionality in vocals and general analogical sound. But the technicality of the K19 is notably better, the stage is very big / bigger than with the N30. I have the feeling that the frequencies are more coherent in comparison.

If you ask me, the K19 is a must buy if you are interested in this kind of DAC/AMP. It's also impressive how capable it is, considering the price. The N30 cost 4499 USD.

Before I forget: no, the K19 is not flat at all, but rather very dynamic!
Wow, that's a glowing review for K19. Can I ask what brand is the N30? I tried searching for it, and for the results, I got Cayin N30LE, which is a DAP.

Also, how long did you have to burn in the K19 before it started sounding good to you?

May 17, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 30
Wow, that's a glowing review for K19. Can I ask what brand is the N30? I tried searching for it, and for the results, I got Cayin N30LE, which is a DAP.

Also, how long did you have to burn in the K19 before it started sounding good to you?
Yep, it's the DAP Cayin N30.

I don't know how long, I estimate around 15-20 hours. But I don't have the impression that the sound has changed.

EDIT:

I was able to compare them again today. I had somehow forgotten to try P+ and HyperMode on the N30.

What can I say... the N30 beats the K19 to death in every aspect. There is no comparison, the N30 is simply better.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 30
Just picked this up.

I am switching from Lyr+ and BF2. Still hashing out my listening impressions on the device. The Schiit stack were great devices. I had the Lyr+ from launch as well as the BF2 (upgraded 2/64). The reason I switched was because it is compact, I wanted to try the latest D/S dac chip, and also recently got into IEMs. So the all-in-one nature of this device appealed to me. Also, I just wanted to switch it up.

I will say it looks cool. I love the versatility of the device as well for my desk. I am feeding this into a Marantz Model 30 when listening on speakers.

One thing I would love to see is a way to get the k19 to do fixed output other than when set to "LO" mode. I want to set fixed output on the line out when in PO+Pre mode. This would make the line out fixed when headphones are on while using speakers at the same time, but I could still adjust the headphone volume when I have my headphones plugged in. I have the line out connected to my integrated amplifier but use the headphone amp on the K19. I hope there is a way to do this rather than having to change the mode every time.

My initial opinion is positive. Its really the opposite of the Lyr+/ BF 2 in every way (D/S, THX). I'm not yearning to go back..... yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back