FiiO M11Pro | Dual AK4497 | THX AAA 78 Headpone Amp | 5.15" 18:9 720P | Exynos 7872 | 3G Ram+64G Rom |
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,908 of 1,931
Hi,

Got the M11 Pro used some time ago.

I must say that I am not convinced that this was a good buy :frowning2:

Why ?

For two reasons (so far) :

- It seems to be really lacking on power to feed my Dan Clark Aeon Closed headphones.
To get reasonable (I am not even toalking about LOUD) volume I have to crank the volume up to 100/110 on "High gain".
And when I get there it seems that sound saturates and thus is not really pleasant to listen to.
If I lookt at the specs, this is no wonder : 200mW with a 32Ohm impedance and (probably) a good sensitivity... that wil probably turn in 50mW at 300Ohm and even less with unsensitive headphones. I should have paid attention to this before :frowning2:

- when used as a DAC, after 8/10 minutes it starts to get scrambled sound. ANd that happens what ever the source used to send files to it.
Maybe I got a defective unit, but those things makes this device "not so great" to me...

Anyone else has this impression ? Maybe it's been said many times but I admit I have been lazy and did not go through the 1907 posts.

Regards.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,909 of 1,931
Hi,

Despite this channnel being dead (or so it seems) I am asking my question here.

I have the m11 Pro.
It came with a mini-jack adapter to what seems to be a coaxail output.
I assumed I could plug that into the mini-jack for heaphones, select the "SPDif" out in the drop down menu and start listening to this device from my dedicated DAC/Headphone amp.

But if I do that there is no sound coming out the device and going to the DAC.

Is there a specific setting to set to get this working ?

Regards.

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,910 of 1,931
Hi,

Despite this channnel being dead (or so it seems) I am asking my question here.

I have the m11 Pro.
It came with a mini-jack adapter to what seems to be a coaxail output.
I assumed I could plug that into the mini-jack for heaphones, select the "SPDif" out in the drop down menu and start listening to this device from my dedicated DAC/Headphone amp.

But if I do that there is no sound coming out the device and going to the DAC.

Is there a specific setting to set to get this working ?

Regards.
Yes, you're correct. The receiving dac (not amp) should have coax in. For example, to send signal to a hugo/mojo, a male RCA to 3 pole 3.5 mm coaxial cable is used.

Attachments

• 16819827431355620176854753446357.jpg
    16819827431355620176854753446357.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #1,911 of 1,931
Yes, you're correct. The receiving dac (not amp) should have coax in. For example, to send signal to a hugo/mojo, a male RCA to 3 pole 3.5 mm coaxial cable is used.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
But here is the problem :

- I get the adapter provided by Fiio in the m11 Pro box ;
- I plug it in the 3.5 Jack headphone of the m11 Pro ;
- I then take a coaxial cable ;
- I plug the cable at one end in the adapter andat the other end into my DAC ;
- In the settings I select "SPDIF Out" in the drop down menu
- I start playing a song... NOTHING goes into the DAC :frowning2:

So can it be that I am missing a setting ?
Can it be that the adapter is defective ?
Can it be that for some reason the SPDIF Out does not work (because of the connector or because of the setting) ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,912 of 1,931
Hi, Thanks a lot for your answer. But here is the problem : - I get the adapter provided by Fiio in the m11 Pro box ; - I plug it in the 3.5 Jack headphone of the m11 Pro ; - I then take a coaxial cable ; - I plug the cable at one end in the adapter andat the other end into my DAC ; - In the settings I select "SPDIF Out" in the drop down menu - I start playing a song... NOTHING goes into the DAC :frowning2: So can it be that I am missing a setting ? Can it be that the adapter is defective ? Can it be that for some reason the SPDIF Out does not work (because of the connector or because of the setting) ? Thanks a lot for your answers. Regards.

Hi,
The stock cable is hardly deffective. Coaxial signal is digital, so it cannot be connected directly to an headphone amplifier. Please note that most of our dacs if supporting coaxial signal will have either female RCA or female 3.5 mm plug in.

In the case of our dac having female RCA plug in, we can use a normal male RCA to male RCA coaxial cable.

In the case of our dac having female 3.5 mm plug in, we should care about whether it accepts three pole or four pole male 3.5 mm plug in. For mojo, it has a three pole female 3.5 mm plug in, hence, the above picture of my previous post (the one having red RCA adapter).

Lastly, maybe for some dacs we have to switch receiving mode accordingly to accept coaxial signal.

Some dacs also prioritize usb mode, so please make sure the usb port does not have any signal in at the time of using coax.

Hope this will help.

Best,

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #1,913 of 1,931
Hi,
The stock cable is hardly deffective. Coaxial signal is digital, so it cannot be connected directly to an headphone amplifier. Please note that most of our dacs if supporting coaxial signal will have either female RCA or female 3.5 mm plug in.

In the case of our dac having female RCA plug in, we can use a normal male RCA to male RCA coaxial cable.

In the case of our dac having female 3.5 mm plug in, we should care about whether it accepts three pole or four pole male 3.5 mm plug in. For mojo, it has a three pole female 3.5 mm plug in, hence, the above picture of my previous post (the one having red RCA adapter).

Lastly, maybe for some dacs we have to switch receiving mode accordingly to accept coaxial signal.

Hope this will help.

Best,
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this is what I did...

Hooked up adapter => male/male coaxial cable => into female coaxial input of DAC => DAC set to receive signal form coaxial...

No signal sent to DAC :frowning2:

So probably defective m11 Pro form that point of view :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #1,914 of 1,931
Hi,

Really? Yeah.
So your M11 pro dap/cable may be somehow damaged.
My last quotation from previous post:
Some dacs also prioritize usb mode, so please make sure the usb port does not have any signal in at the time of using coax.

Or it's time to upgrade to a new one, Fiio M11 plus, I guess. :D

Best,

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #1,916 of 1,931
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately this is what I did...

Hooked up adapter => male/male coaxial cable => into female coaxial input of DAC => DAC set to receive signal form coaxial...

No signal sent to DAC :frowning2:

So probably defective m11 Pro form that point of view :frowning2:
Dear friend,

Does your DAC work fine with other device when using coaxial input mode?
If you are convenient, please show a small video to support@fiio.com. We will have a check for you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,918 of 1,931
Is anybody’s Qobuz very sluggish suddenly?
Can you provide a few more specifics? Which model? Are you streaming or playback from storage? Etc.

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,919 of 1,931
Can you provide a few more specifics? Which model? Are you streaming or playback from storage? Etc.
I didn’t know there was more than one model of the fiio m11 pro, how would I find this information?

Streaming, was storage but wiped the cache and storage of the app, worked like normal for half a day, then went back to sluggish and crashing once so far

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #1,920 of 1,931
Hi everybody,

As the owner of the m11 Pro, I am trying to use it as a streamer in following way :
- music stored on NAS
- mi 11 Pro connected to same network as NAS
- mi 11 Pro with UAPP or Neutron installed and used as media renderers
- mi 11 pro controlled by Emby from computer.

The problem is, after 2/3 tracks it stops playing.

Any idea what the problem can be ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back