FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 1, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #10,051 of 18,020

Yes, I'm glad you said that. Are people nuts pulling on a port? That is just asking for trouble. I hope people heed your warning.

+1 ! ! !

Easiest way is to hold the case, give a sharp shake down,

..and one slip of the hand...yikes!

Not so sure about pushing the screen, either. I'll stick with pushing it a bit through the line out hole on top using a pencil/pen eraser. (Since I'm not using the line out, I've covered it with a spare X5 plug.)

The person worried about it just slipping out on it's own while holding it upright...The Dignis case (I think FiiO case, too) is lined with a synthetic felt material that prevents slipping. That and the fact that it's constructed to be the exact correct size.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #10,052 of 18,020
X7ii wish feature >> wouldn't it be brilliant if the next X7 had a second small display that (eg Samsung Edge display) could be always on and shows you the current music track and tidbit of info. It could even be a black and white energy efficient omoled or e-ink display. I often find myself turning on the screen to check what song is streaming next on Tidal.

like this?

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10,053 of 18,020
Mar 2, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #10,055 of 18,020
After few days of deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger last night and ordered the X7. Looking forward to getting it.

Going to be bit weird though as i'm coming from an ipod classic. So used to using iTunes to sync music, but wanting to step away from relying on iTunes going forward.

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #10,056 of 18,020
Regarding that display thing:

-extra interference
-battery life decreasing
-compatibility issues with 3rd party apps
-that space is currently in use by the wireless module
-extra cost

What would be possible is amoled screen, but that too would affect cost.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #10,057 of 18,020
Regarding that display thing:

-extra interference
-battery life decreasing
-compatibility issues with 3rd party apps
-that space is currently in use by the wireless module
-extra cost

What would be possible is amoled screen, but that too would affect cost.

No Amoled. No! Please. Not!. 

No!

Never. 

Now, joking aside, Amoled is the worst type of screen when it comes to it's life expectancy.

They have this ghosting issue, which explained is that AMOLED ( Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes) dies out. Because the Light emitting diodes are organic, they die. Fast. An Aoled smartphone latest gen will show dead screen in 3 months. That is ridiculous. Screen will still work, but if you put a completely white screen, you will see ghosting of everything that ever was on that screen.

OLED screens simply cannot be repaired and the technology is objectively flawed. Maybe if they would spend time developing cells that start to degrade after a few years, but with the actual Amoled, green cells start dying out in less than a month.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #10,058 of 18,020

No Amoled. No! Please. Not!. 

No!

Never. 

Now, joking aside, Amoled is the worst type of screen when it comes to it's life expectancy.

They have this ghosting issue, which explained is that AMOLED ( Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes) dies out. Because the Light emitting diodes are organic, they die. Fast. An Aoled smartphone latest gen will show dead screen in 3 months. That is ridiculous. Screen will still work, but if you put a completely white screen, you will see ghosting of everything that ever was on that screen.

OLED screens simply cannot be repaired and the technology is objectively flawed. Maybe if they would spend time developing cells that start to degrade after a few years, but with the actual Amoled, green cells start dying out in less than a month.

Im sorry but that is absolute Nonsense.  Amoled Displays are currently the absolute cutting edge in display technology.

It is true that the cells degrade over time, but a couple of months is nonsense!  I still have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a perfect AMOLED screen, i used it for 2 years and still is in use by my son - the display is perfect and it has to be getting close to 4 years old. Samsung have been moving forward with this tech all the time.

It is actually the Blue cells that have the shortest life, but even then they are expected to outlive the usefulness of the device. 

If i was to buy any device with the choice between AMOLED or LCD i would choose AMOLED every single time....The image quality is another level.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #10,059 of 18,020
After few days of deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger last night and ordered the X7. Looking forward to getting it.

Going to be bit weird though as i'm coming from an ipod classic. So used to using iTunes to sync music, but wanting to step away from relying on iTunes going forward.

I also had an ipod classic before getting my x7. It's easier to sync music on x7 with drag and drop support so I liked the changes.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #10,060 of 18,020

As well as drag and drop there are also programs like music bee or media monkey that allow sync to android, like itunes.

I have not actualy tested this and dont have my X7 right now - I have been unlucky with faulty units. That said, however, there shouldn't be any problems given it is an android device.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #10,061 of 18,020
As well as drag and drop there are also programs like music bee or media monkey that allow sync to android, like itunes.

I have not actualy tested this and dont have my X7 right now - I have been unlucky with faulty units. That said, however, there shouldn't be any problems given it is an android device.

I also had an ipod classic before getting my x7. It's easier to sync music on x7 with drag and drop support so I liked the changes.

Been using idevices for my portable music for about 15 years now, so definitely time for a change. I have a large library and the performance of iTunes after more recent updates has just got worse.

I’ll have a look at music bee and mediamonkey tonight. Are these available for mac too?

Out of curiosity, how do you guys have your music stored? I’ve allowed iTunes to manage my file structure, so currently it’s

<Artist1>
  <Album1>
      <Track1>
      <Track2>
   <Album2>
      <Track1>
      <Track2>
<Artist2>
  <Album1>
      <Track1>
      <Track2>

With the Fiio I feel it would be easier to have my music sorted into something like <Artist1> - <Album1>(Year). This would probably make it easier to drag albums across rather than having to expand the Artist name first so I can get to the albums. Also when copied over to X7, I’d rather have the folders containing artist, album and year info.

Do apps like Music Bee or MediaMonkey provide a way to easilt change file structure? Does such an app even exist or would I have to do this manually?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #10,062 of 18,020

Im sorry but that is absolute Nonsense.  Amoled Displays are currently the absolute cutting edge in display technology.

It is true that the cells degrade over time, but a couple of months is nonsense!  I still have a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a perfect AMOLED screen, i used it for 2 years and still is in use by my son - the display is perfect and it has to be getting close to 4 years old. Samsung have been moving forward with this tech all the time.

It is actually the Blue cells that have the shortest life, but even then they are expected to outlive the usefulness of the device. 

If i was to buy any device with the choice between AMOLED or LCD i would choose AMOLED every single time....The image quality is another level.

Maybe you were lucky and I had bad luck? 
biggrin.gif

My experience tells me to stay away from AMOLED. 

I am the type of person who is really into display technology, and I am getting a 100% AdobreRGB coverage IPS display, and had a bad experience with AMOLEDs with ghosting to the point that it would degrade way too fast for me. 

Maybe other people either do not see or are not bothered by these things? 

It happened with a note4. After less than 3 months of usage. Used with 100% brightness the entire time, and had display on for long periods of time vor video watching, and other stuff, so this might had had it's word to say?

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #10,063 of 18,020

Maybe you were lucky and I had bad luck? 
biggrin.gif

My experience tells me to stay away from AMOLED. 

I am the type of person who is really into display technology, and I am getting a 100% AdobreRGB coverage IPS display, and had a bad experience with AMOLEDs with ghosting to the point that it would degrade way too fast for me. 

Maybe other people either do not see or are not bothered by these things? 

It happened with a note4. After less than 3 months of usage. Used with 100% brightness the entire time, and had display on for long periods of time vor video watching, and other stuff, so this might had had it's word to say?

I couldn't say - by the sounds of it you had a bad experience, maybe even a faulty panel and it has tainted your view of AMOLED.  I urge you to give it another go. 

From that Galaxy S3, i've had the S4, S5, Note 4 and now a Note 5 and not had a single issue with any of them - I also use them at 100% brightness with auto off all the time and often for long periods, watching movies and now for Gear VR - which for anyone reading if you've not tried, is a must.  It is absolutely amazing!

AMOLED is here to stay and displays will only get better and better because of it.... now if only i could afford that LG 4K AMOLED TV....

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #10,064 of 18,020
Been using idevices for my portable music for about 15 years now, so definitely time for a change. I have a large library and the performance of iTunes after more recent updates has just got worse.

I’ll have a look at music bee and mediamonkey tonight. Are these available for mac too?

Out of curiosity, how do you guys have your music stored? I’ve allowed iTunes to manage my file structure, so currently it’s

With the Fiio I feel it would be easier to have my music sorted into something like - (Year). This would probably make it easier to drag albums across rather than having to expand the Artist name first so I can get to the albums. Also when copied over to X7, I’d rather have the folders containing artist, album and year info.

Do apps like Music Bee or MediaMonkey provide a way to easilt change file structure? Does such an app even exist or would I have to do this manually?

Umm you can run them on the mac but it is more of a work around MusicBee -->here

Media Monkey there is a way to making it work on a Mac --> here.

Currently using MusicBee after switching from MediaMonkey (just wanted to try something different) its free and very user freindly. Whilst mediamonkey my has paid for elements, so maybe try musicbee unless someone can recommend a good Mac specific alternative for you.

Both have tagging features so you can organise (I use similar to how you said with the year included), both have lots of features and both have online tutorials via YouTube along with active forums for support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back