FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #10,248 of 18,020
  Ali Express is legit but it's like ebay - everyone can sell on it. So the question should be "Is the seller legit?"

Ditto, and it is a fairly easy to use site I found based on my recent purchase there. Slow getting stuff from China mind you, but I guess if the seller offers faster shipping options that might be different.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #10,249 of 18,020
Only a week with my new X7 and I’m loving what I hear. Definite step up from my ipod classic 7th gen. Hardware wise it seems well built and has that expensive feel about it. I find the plastic case a bit irritating, but will change that in due course.

Paired with my Westone 4R instruments seem to sound clearer and more refined. Volume only on around 71/120 with plenty of room to spare J

The ‘downside’ is that this new purchase has got me thinking about upgrading my earphones. Been looking at the Shure 846. Anyone paired these with X7? Good match with X7/AM1 combo? I tend to listen to mainly ALAC and 320kps mp3. A lot of electronic music, but also plenty of other stuff too.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #10,250 of 18,020
  Only a week with my new X7 and I’m loving what I hear. Definite step up from my ipod classic 7th gen. Hardware wise it seems well built and has that expensive feel about it. I find the plastic case a bit irritating, but will change that in due course.

Paired with my Westone 4R instruments seem to sound clearer and more refined. Volume only on around 71/120 with plenty of room to spare J

The ‘downside’ is that this new purchase has got me thinking about upgrading my earphones. Been looking at the Shure 846. Anyone paired these with X7? Good match with X7/AM1 combo? I tend to listen to mainly ALAC and 320kps mp3. A lot of electronic music, but also plenty of other stuff too.

Hi, I am posting because I was in the exact same place as you a few weeks ago :)

Had just upgraded my iPhone "DAP" to X7 and had to deal with that same "downside" - In my case thinking on upgrading the Ultimate Ears UE900. I was considering the SE846, Sennheiser IE800 as two interesting offers on universal IEM's but have discarded both after countless hours reading reviews and user feedback. Founded or unfounded, I discarded SE846 because many people reported the highs as "veiled" , the bass to be somewhat intrusive on mids and because its already a bit "old"; IE800 because of the cable length, not beeing replaceable, susceptive to microfonics and also some reports on the sound signature a bit heavy on bass. I was looking for known and experienced brands, trying to keep the risk low as for most options, I wouldn't be able to try before buying - I live in a tiny Island in the Atlantic :).

Two brands caught my attention, JH Audio and 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears), namely the universal Siren series and Adele Universal U10. I can tell I am VERY satisfied with my A&K Angie II (8 BA), it was a risky buy concerning fit because they are fairly big for na IEM, but they seemed to be made for my ears - they are driven very well by X7, after a few hours of burning I am listening with lower volumes (I posted about that), at around 55 for a 16/44.1 CD quality flac. Love the sound SQ, bass is user adjustable on the cable, very detailed with highs (4 drivers for highs!!!) that extend with clarity and smoothness as I've never heard before...

I am sure there are plenty of other great options, most people are lucky because they can try before buying, so if you can do it.

My 2 cents

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #10,252 of 18,020

Would you consider customs IEMs ? I will receive my Fiio x7 soon (ETA is tomorrow) and i could give you my impressions with Music Two from Custom Art

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #10,254 of 18,020

Speaking of which, guys, do you think that getting some handy bluetooth aptx transmitter for the X7 would stand for a feasible workaround???

S.

Since nobody answered, I'll do it for myself as I got an aptx transmitter eventually. This solution does the job on the "frying bacon" Bluetooth effect! (though not very convenient) But now, interestingly, transmits also the qualities of the amplifier (naturally...). Indeed, I am not much impressed with the AM1 on this setup, bu my guess is AM2 would bring in the sound I'd like to have in the first place. So, let's see when the amp shows up around....

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #10,255 of 18,020
Hi, I am posting because I was in the exact same place as you a few weeks ago :)

Two brands caught my attention, JH Audio and 64 Audio (former 1964 Ears), namely the universal Siren series and Adele Universal U10. I can tell I am VERY satisfied with my A&K Angie II (8 BA), it was a risky buy concerning fit because they are fairly big for na IEM, but they seemed to be made for my ears - they are driven very well by X7, after a few hours of burning I am listening with lower volumes (I posted about that), at around 55 for a 16/44.1 CD quality flac. Love the sound SQ, bass is user adjustable on the cable, very detailed with highs (4 drivers for highs!!!) that extend with clarity and smoothness as I've never heard before...

I am sure there are plenty of other great options, most people are lucky because they can try before buying, so if you can do it.

My 2 cents

thanks for sharing your thoughts. You've certainly given me plenty to think about. The Angie II sounds like they're really good, however they're probably out of my budget. I've been reading about the 64 Audio Adel. I'd never heard of them before, so going to do some more reading about them. I'm intrigued by the ADEL technology. Based on the information on their site the U8 seems ideal for me at first glance. 

Like yourself though I won't be able to test out any earphones before I buy, so my decision will be based upon plenty of reading. Relied on that in the past and not been disappointed. Need to have a look at JH Audio too.

Would you consider customs IEMs ? I will receive my Fiio x7 soon (ETA is tomorrow) and i could give you my impressions with Music Two from Custom Art

Yes that would be good thanks. I would consider customs. I've only had a look at the UERM so far though. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #10,257 of 18,020
  Don't mind me you guys, I'm just waiting for the release of the AM2.

It is due to arrive in about 1 month in Romania, so I guess that everywhere else, it will arrive even sooner. 

We have got K5 in Romania, and while it is a great amp, it is clearly made for headphones more than for IEMs. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #10,259 of 18,020
thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm intrigued by the ADEL technology. Based on the information on their site the U8 seems ideal for me at first glance. 

I did consider the U8 but didn't like (in theory) the sound signature, much heavier on bass and sub with recessed highs, when compared with U10... This is my reading of the message that 64 ears is passing with their comparometer. If you were aiming for SE846, then maybe you can reach on of these no?

I often remember a long time ago an advertisement on a car magazine that said something like this:

"Buy a Pioneer car audio TODAY, because ONE DAY you will be DEAD" :wink:

Regards

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #10,260 of 18,020
Listed today on Amazon UK - in stock 28th March. Nothing for U.S. as yet...

Showing up on B&H pre-order for $99 usd. Not bad price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1232533-REG/fiio_am2_amplifier_for_x7.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back