FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #10,096 of 18,020
  Yes, I guess I saw in FiiO fórum someone posting it was a bug to be corrected in future Firmwares.

I also used mp3tag to reset and re-tag all tracks, edited .cue, etc., nothing referred the artista/álbum name in capitals, couldn't fix. maybe someone here has a simple fix or is something we are missing, but that's annoying...

Regards

Cool, glad to hear i'm not the only one and it's recognized as bug to be fixed in future FW updates :) Thanks!

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #10,097 of 18,020
let's say i changed something within the android filesystem. would a "wipe data/factory reset" done from Recovery set it all back? (for instance if i were to permanently remove the FiiO app, or something else build in)

i'm asking this because i love experimenting, and FiiO hasn't released a full android image for the device.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #10,099 of 18,020
  Apologies for the dumb question, but what spec tells you the output power of the amp? I have a pair of JH Roxanne CIEMS, and I get the impression that my Fiio X7 doesn't have enough power to drive them with the AM1 amp module. (At least, when I connected a Fiio Mont-Blanc E12, things really seemed to open up...)

I see specs like "output power" listed in mW, Vrms, and then things like "output impedance", "output voltage", and "output current". Which should I look at to determine whether an amp has enough juice to power my IEMs/headphones?

Oh, and is there ever a downside to using an amp that's has more than enough power to drive the phones? I get the impression that since the AM1 module is advertised as being for IEMs that it should be able to power my JH Roxannes -- but is there a downside in buying the AM2 (or even the high-power AM5 module when it becomes available) and using that? Volume levels being held constant, would the highest power amp sound the best?

Thanks guys!

No problem at all. IMO it is always to have more power than less, when it is clean power. With more, you stay in the lower distortion area of the amplifier. I would take 10 times the power needed, or more, to have the headroom and low distortion. The only damage you can do is turn an amp up too high and ruin the IEM's, but they would need to be out of your ears or your ears would suffer also. But with too little power, clipping can occur, which can also damage monitors. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #10,101 of 18,020
If it didn't I'm sure you could re download it

As i said: FiiO has not released a full android inage. Only update packages. If there's no base to put the update on I am uncertain if I can even use them.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #10,103 of 18,020
  If your X7 isn't driving your JH Roxanne to reasonable volume, something isn't right. 

Thanks -- I suspected the X7, even with just AM1, should be enough power for the JH Roxannes. Again, I did notice a significant improvement in sound quality by adding a Fiio Mont Blanc E12 between the X7 and the Roxannes. So I'm starting to think it's not that the X7 can't power the Roxannes, but that the E12 amp is more pleasant sounding to my ears.

Is it common for portable head-fiers to add an external headphone amp to a DAP even though the DAP's internal amp is capable of driving the phones/IEM itself? In other words, people who add a separate amp to their "brick" -- is it not so much a "more power" move as it is a "more pleasant sounding amp" move?

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #10,104 of 18,020
Thanks -- I suspected the X7, even with just AM1, should be enough power for the JH Roxannes. Again, I did notice a significant improvement in sound quality by adding a Fiio Mont Blanc E12 between the X7 and the Roxannes. So I'm starting to think it's not that the X7 can't power the Roxannes, but that the E12 amp is more pleasant sounding to my ears.

Is it common for portable head-fiers to add an external headphone amp to a DAP even though the DAP's internal amp is capable of driving the phones/IEM itself? In other words, people who add a separate amp to their "brick" -- is it not so much a "more power" move as it is a "more pleasant sounding amp" move?

I question if something is wrong with your Roxannes or your hearing. With Roxanne's 15 Ohm impedance and 119 dB sensitivity you should hear significant hiss using the Mont Blanc. I know I do with the Angie and she's slightly less sensitive than the Roxanne. I can't stand using the e12 Mont Blanc with the Angie.

Do you know what dB level you ar listening at?

As for your other question, if you prefer the tonality of a separate amp there's nothing wrong with that.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #10,105 of 18,020
It's more common that people don't volume match when making comparisons (and doing it by ear isn't volume matching). As a result generally when people compare amped vs unamped, most of the time amped is slightly louder, so it is perceived as better.

If you prefer using the amp - go for it. But if you ever get the chance to compare properly volume marched and also blind (someone doing the switching) it can be an eye(or ear) opener.

It could also be just the flavour of the amp though too.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #10,106 of 18,020
Curiousity as this is something I've noticed in the last few days with the FiiO X7... Does anyone else have a pretty dramatic time from pressing (or pressing and holding for a moment) the power button and the device showing the initial welcome screen? I noticed the unit here seems to take 10-15 seconds, sometimes more to just show the welcome screen.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #10,107 of 18,020
Ahh, that's probably it. I don't even know where to begin to volume match or measure the db level of what I'm listening to. I simply added the E12 and turned up the volume until it sounded good (which, given the larger output of the E12, was barely above 8:00-9:00). I'm fairly certain the amped test run was louder -- and that's probably why to me it seemed "better". (And no hiss that I could tell).

Thanks all for helping a clueless Head-Fi newb! It seems like the X7 with AM1 is a good match for my JH Roxannes, so I'll stick to going straight out of the X7. I was thinking about purchasing the AM2 module, but I'm starting to think it's not needed in my case.

Thanks again.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #10,108 of 18,020
  Curiousity as this is something I've noticed in the last few days with the FiiO X7... Does anyone else have a pretty dramatic time from pressing (or pressing and holding for a moment) the power button and the device showing the initial welcome screen? I noticed the unit here seems to take 10-15 seconds, sometimes more to just show the welcome screen.

Had same on both my units, didnt time it but blank screen for good few seconds before welcome screen when powering up, kept thinking it had failed at first. 3rd should be here next week hopefully so can see on that one too...

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #10,109 of 18,020

Given that you are new to this, I might have a clue on what is going on. 

Roxanne is kinda dark and laid back, from what I read. Well, it is not exactly the king of brightness nor the king of treble. 

Now, adding E12 (not E12A) will make treble much more evident, as X7 has a smooth-ish signature. E12 might improve soundstage, dynamism, and other characteristics of sound, and depending on what exactly you listen, you might like the signature better. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #10,110 of 18,020
Ahh, that's probably it. I don't even know where to begin to volume match or measure the db level of what I'm listening to. I simply added the E12 and turned up the volume until it sounded good (which, given the larger output of the E12, was barely above 8:00-9:00). I'm fairly certain the amped test run was louder -- and that's probably why to me it seemed "better". (And no hiss that I could tell).

Thanks all for helping a clueless Head-Fi newb! It seems like the X7 with AM1 is a good match for my JH Roxannes, so I'll stick to going straight out of the X7. I was thinking about purchasing the AM2 module, but I'm starting to think it's not needed in my case.

Thanks again.

Headfonia posted a great review on the X7 with some comments on the AM1 vs AM2 module.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-fiio-x7-fiios-number-one/

You can use an app for your smartphone to measure dB levels from your IEM. While no where near as accurate as what something like Brooko uses it still can get you in the ballpark for safe listening levels if you can place the tip right at the mic.

Actually I just tested the e12 with the Angie and 9:00 o'clock is about the max I would go with an average of 85-90 dB (of course peaks were higher) on a file with a relatively moderate recording level (Eric Clapton Unplugged - Layla), I usually listen around 80-85 dB average. Didn't sound too bad except for the hiss, but the hiss wasn't really invasive while the music was playing. I may spend more time with the e12 again with my other headphones. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back