Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #4,801 of 4,849
What would you say is the best headphone to complement the D8k OG? I mostly listen to movie soundtracks like hans zimmer or female vocal orchestral music with lots of pianos and string instruments. I thought about the caldera but it seems a little too similar, the elites are another option. I have the atriums but was just wondering whats out there, besides just trying out the D8k LE model.
Just my 2 cents, but based on lots of experience: the ZMF Verite Open is the best "complimentary headphone" I can find to the D8K and the Caldera. You get those classic dynamic driver vs planar driver sonic differences, plus the unique ability of the VO to fully convey the tone and timbre of voices and instruments. My silkwood VO's sound is ravishing, really beautiful.

I love the D8K's sound, especially after I swapped the lousy sounding "F" pads for the Pro's "G" pads. But the cost was some emphasis in the bass & rounding of notes in upper mids/low treble. Can't wait to get my hands on the new "H" pads to see if they're the "Goldilocks" pad for best sound on my D8K. At present my D8K w/"G" pads is getting somewhat overshadowed by the Caldera (which is beyond excellent in every way)--but if the "H" pads do the trick, I might have a real horse race between the Caldera and D8K.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #4,802 of 4,849
Just my 2 cents, but based on lots of experience: the ZMF Verite Open is the best "complimentary headphone" I can find to the D8K and the Caldera. You get those classic dynamic driver vs planar driver sonic differences, plus the unique ability of the VO to fully convey the tone and timbre of voices and instruments. My silkwood VO's sound is ravishing, really beautiful.

I love the D8K's sound, especially after I swapped the lousy sounding "F" pads for the Pro's "G" pads. But the cost was some emphasis in the bass & rounding of notes in upper mids/low treble. Can't wait to get my hands on the new "H" pads to see if they're the "Goldilocks" pad for best sound on my D8K. At present my D8K w/"G" pads is getting somewhat overshadowed by the Caldera (which is beyond excellent in every way)--but if the "H" pads do the trick, I might have a real horse race between the Caldera and D8K.
For me, the H pads turns it into a perfect headphone. It retains the fun bass with more clarity and better resolution. This is just for my ears but it’s the best headphone I ever had. I enjoy my atriums but think maybe getting the d8k pro LE would be a nice compliment to the OG d8k. Either way, the next headphone I add would be the verite closed. I need a closed back and it seems to be the best complement to the planars. Do you find the caldera to complement the d8k or competing with it more?

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #4,803 of 4,849
Didn't check but isn't the stock cable from Final a copper silver plated one?

AC Talos V2 is not as stiff (although ca. 18 AWG) as the stock cable, it's lighter in weight, didn't use bulky stock cable many times, don't remember any microphonics. With Talos for sure didn't I notice any microphonics! Talos is easy to use in terms of how it bends (2m long).

Isn't Final silver (upgrade) cable more expensive? Talos ca. USD 400,- depending on configuration.

Again Lavricable elongated 3.5mm HP Jack's look more elegantly!

Soundwise: I only have one day, 5 hrs experience with Talos and can't compare to stock, only to Lavri Grand - pure silver.
So far I prefer copper AC on a "subconscious level" if that makes sense to you... also cheaper as silver Lavri Grand.

Where do you live? @awesomenatorrad (Arctic were accommodating in terms of "customs")
I live in the US but I think creating a norne cable would be the next option. He seems to have the lockable connectors.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #4,805 of 4,849
For me, the H pads turns it into a perfect headphone. It retains the fun bass with more clarity and better resolution. This is just for my ears but it’s the best headphone I ever had. I enjoy my atriums but think maybe getting the d8k pro LE would be a nice compliment to the OG d8k. Either way, the next headphone I add would be the verite closed. I need a closed back and it seems to be the best complement to the planars. Do you find the caldera to complement the d8k or competing with it more?
The way my D8K is set up now (w/the "G" pads), it's a very pleasing sound, but not really in the sonic neighborhood of the Caldera, which is way up there in resolution while also being very musical. IMO the D8K is handicapped by only having the choice of "F" pads (which don't sound good IMO) or "G" pads (which do sound good, but rob it of some clarity).

If/when I ever get the "H" pads on my D8K, I would like nothing more than to find it becomes equal to the Caldera in both resolution and musicality. That would be a very interesting pair of headphones to compare & contrast.

The thing about the D8K is that I liked its sound from the start. I believe this headphone has a lot of sonic upside. It's unfortunate that Final designed it to be so susceptible to large sonic changes just by changing earpads. The only difference between the "F" & "G" pads is the latter have a single alcantara suede surface (the front piece that touches the user's skin) vs "F" pads, yet the change in sound is quite extensive. I believe this happens because the venting/damping system within each earcup fully utilized the permeablilty of the earcups to air movement.

Because of that, the usual tactic of trying 3rd party pads on this headphone is kind of doomed from the start, since no 3rd party pads in the 110mm diameter of the D8K have thin, permeable fabric around the inside and outside of the earpad, like both the "F" and "G" pads. That means that pretty much any 3rd party pad is going to interact in unexpected ways with headphone's damping/venting system.

I just got the ZMF Bokeh in house for burn-in and review. One of the 4 pad sets included is the perforated Bokeh suedes, which were mentioned a couple days ago here by another D8K owner. I guess I could try those w/my D8K at some point, but honestly, it would be a miracle if they were the sonic "sweet spot" for this unique headphone. I'm holding out hope that the "H" pad will be the sweet spot...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #4,807 of 4,849
a norne cable would be the next option. He seems to have the lockable connectors.

He has the real deal Final audio connectors
I won't buy another locking type cable connector, think it's not a great design choice... if somehow you pull too heavily on the cable you'd pull the whole HP with it...

I guess Norne or AC are both great choices!

I'm also thinking about adding a HP which complement D8Kp well...

I enjoy my atriums but think maybe getting the d8k pro LE would be a nice compliment
so you like D8k better then Atriums (open?)

aren't all LEs sold at this point? or are you aiming for a used one?

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #4,808 of 4,849
I won't buy another locking type cable connector, think it's not a great design choice... if somehow you pull too heavily on the cable you'd pull the whole HP with it...

I guess Norne or AC are both great choices!

I'm also thinking about adding a HP which complement D8Kp well...

so you like D8k better then Atriums (open?)

aren't all LEs sold at this point? or are you aiming for a used one?
I am getting one made by Norne, great price and service. I never have an issue with pulling on the headphone because my cables are short and always on my desk. Aiming for a used D8k LE, trying to see if it is different enough from the OG d8k.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #4,810 of 4,849
I was able to find a new D8000 Pro LE which is on its way to be (hopefully) delivered soon.

Any suggestions for Amp pairing?
I currently have a Phonitor Xe, anyone has any experience with this combination?

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #4,812 of 4,849
Ok..I tried it briefly, but it was enough to say...yes...SPL Phonitor XE is OK with D8000, even with stock 6.3 mm cable/jack.
But...it's OK, not amazing. :)
I am exclusively using AURIS HA-2 SF with D8000 or vice versa. I almost didn't have to try to figure out that it's the best combination I can match.
If I didn't have Auris, I would probably tell you that, yes, SPL and D8000 are amazing together. They have a super clean, beautiful sound.
But, on top of that, with Auris, you get more body, thicker bass, and more authority.
I tried it with xDuoo TA-26S, but it's not working with an OTL tube; Auris is not an OTL tube.
The bass is distorted, and the treble and mids are fine; the bass is not.

Auris has a new model, which I am planning to get, too. It's way more affordable than the HA-2 SF was. I love their sound.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #4,813 of 4,849
I was able to find a new D8000 Pro LE which is on its way to be (hopefully) delivered soon.

I currently have a Phonitor Xe, anyone has any experience with this combination?
Significantly above the Phonitor’s price point, but the best amp pairing for the D8K Pro I’ve heard to date is the MASS-Kobo 394ii.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #4,814 of 4,849
I will take a look at it but yeah that might be difficult to find it in Europe and the new price is above my intented budget.

https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/hpa-100
this looks interesting, but hard to find any impressions around. I wonder if anyone has first hand impressions on these?

Oor and Bliss are ofcourse other options that are talked about a lot, I wonder how they pair with d8000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back