Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 8, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #4,861 of 4,953
I'm eyeing again for D8000 OG. Anyone knows any other planar which is worth to consider and does bass so well ?

May 8, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #4,863 of 4,953
Caldera. Without question. :)

It's very hard to get listening session with ZMF's and after hearing Auteur I don't see myself buying one of their headphones blindly. I'll scratch the itch with stealth this week curious what else might be there

May 8, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #4,865 of 4,953
I'm eyeing again for D8000 OG. Anyone knows any other planar which is worth to consider and does bass so well ?
Gently used LCD4 perhaps.

May 8, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #4,866 of 4,953
what would be a complementary headphone to D8K Pros.
I am thinking Verite Open, any suggestions would be very welcome.

May 8, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #4,868 of 4,953
A question. What would be a reasonable price for a D8K pro? I have a pair that I am trying to sell but not getting much offers.
I keep track of what people usually sell this headphone used on 2nd hand market places.
The average price I see is $2600 USD.

May 8, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #4,869 of 4,953
what would be a complementary headphone to D8K Pros.
I am thinking Verite Open, any suggestions would be very welcome.

Depends on whether you consider a complementary hp which offers a lot or just a few contrasts. If the former :
HD800s - leaner bass, wider stage, more treble presence versus Final’s bass, more intimate stage, and slightly less sparkly treble. Also dynamic vs. planar.

May 8, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #4,871 of 4,953
1266 TC. Properly amped, of course.

I had this for about two years and once I sold it, it took me forever to find a replacement that had that bass. I took a shot on the D8K OG, and never looked back. I have been using the G pads, however after now using the H pads, it cleans up some of that bass and therefore increases the transparency and soundstage and it’s absolutely a perfect headphone.

May 8, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #4,873 of 4,953
It's very hard to get listening session with ZMF's and after hearing Auteur I don't see myself buying one of their headphones blindly. I'll scratch the itch with stealth this week curious what else might be there
https://headphone.shop/why-us/
I'm pretty sure Caldera is one of the items they'd send out for trying out at your place.

long trip to Vienna but if you have the opportunity for a cheap train ticket then @Kopfhörerboutique you can listen to one besides many more...
https://kopfhoererboutique.com/collections/kopfhorer/products/zmf-caldera

May 8, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #4,874 of 4,953
Caldera. Without question. :)
Exactly right.

FWIW I have a loaner Caldera closed in house for eventual review. Still early stages, but the closed Caldera sounds wonderful to me.

The OG D8K is a wonderful headphone, too. I'll soon have a pair of the D8K LE's "H" pads to try on my D8K. The stock "F" pads of D8K sounded kind of harsh to me (and it's not a harsh headphone); then I switched to the D8K Pro's "G" pads ... sound isn't harsh, but is bassy and warm (pleasing but can be too much).

I'm hoping the "H" pads are the Goldilocks earpads to bring the D8K to a new level. I would normally padroll w/3rd party pads to do this, but that's nearly impossible with the D8K, the pad/earcup interface of which is specifically tuned, very hard to replicate w/3rd party pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back