Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
May 18, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #4,531 of 6,349
How is the comfort out of Code 23?

May 18, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #4,533 of 6,349
How is the comfort out of Code 23?
I love it, sturdy and present like the cable version of a security blanket.

+1 luvin' Code 23 also. Cable is malleably rigid with comfortable ear hooks. Sometimes the cable will work my IEMs out of my ears if I shift around a lot or transition from sitting to laying down. Otherwise it's a great cable and punches above its $600 (TermX) to $679 (Pentaconn OFC) price.

@SteveK27 authored a really great Code23 review:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/effect-audio-code-23.26351/reviews

May 18, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #4,534 of 6,349
My replacement atom modules set came Monday. Installation was a snap, and once again, stellar customer service aside, I give major props to a company that saw a problem, had customers complain about said problem, and then decided to fix it rather than pretending it didn't exist. Fir gets better and better in my book. Major props to my friendly neighborhood  drug audio dealer.
Yo, it’s a more dangerous hustle than drug dealing. Got this message yesterday 😆

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 6.13.52 PM.png

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
May 19, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #4,535 of 6,349
May 19, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #4,536 of 6,349
Yo, it’s a more dangerous hustle than drug dealing. Got this message yesterday 😆

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 6.13.52 PM.png
Yikes, maybe Red Dragon Fire was not the best colour choice to avoid being noticed with these after all 😳

IMG_2803.jpeg

May 19, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #4,537 of 6,349
Not surprised people are asking about EA Code 23 (C23) pair up with RN6. From a distance, RN6 new stock cable looks like mini-me C23, similar looking exterior jacket with dark brownish rubbery PVC finish. Of course, material is different, pure copper C23 with a thick 16.5awg wire which is about 2x thicker than stock silver cable with OFC shielding.

I do hear a sonic difference with C23 vs stock, where Code 23 brings out a more thunderous bass, especially the rumble of sub-bass which sounds more elevated, shifting the sound sig closer to L-shaped. Also, I do hear a little more clarity in upper mids, and improved imaging, taking the sound to a more holographic level. I'm intentionally not saying "sonic improvement" because this is very subjective, and I personally prefer a more balanced sound signature with a stock cable. Also, don't need more micro-details from upper mids, I'm fine with a slight analog veil of smoother tuning (with stock vs C23). Again, just a personal preference.

But where I do have a personal issue with C23 and RN6, C23 is 68g vs stock cable being 28g. Plus, double the thickness and stiffer nature of C23 makes it less mobile for my use. With C23, as I move around, the cable weighs down and pulls on iems, losing a seal with my earcanal. Perhaps, it will be a different story if you have custom RN6, but with unis I'm only ok using C23 with RN6 while sitting down rather than moving around. Thus, stock cable it is! :)

20230518_220053_resized.jpg

20230518_220105_resized.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #4,538 of 6,349
Not surprised people are asking about EA Code 23 (C23) pair up with RN6. From a distance, RN6 new stock cable looks like mini-me C23, similar looking exterior jacket with dark brownish rubbery PVC finish. Of course, material is different, pure copper C23 with a thick 16.5awg wire which is about 2x thicker than stock silver cable with OFC shielding.

I do hear a sonic difference with C23 vs stock, where Code 23 brings out a more thunderous bass, especially the rumble of sub-bass which sounds more elevated, shifting the sound sig closer to L-shaped. Also, I do hear a little more clarity in upper mids, and improved imaging, taking the sound to a more holographic level. I'm intentionally not saying "sonic improvement" because this is very subjective, and I personally prefer a more balanced sound signature with a stock cable. Also, don't need more micro-details from upper mids, I'm fine with a slight analog veil of smoother tuning (with stock vs C23). Again, just a personal preference.

But where I do have a personal issue with C23 and RN6, C23 is 68g vs stock cable being 28g. Plus, double the thickness and stiffer nature of C23 makes it less mobile for my use. With C23, as I move around, the cable weighs down and pulls on iems, losing a seal with my earcanal. Perhaps, it will be a different story if you have custom RN6, but with unis I'm only ok using C23 with RN6 while sitting down rather than moving around. Thus, stock cable it is! :)

With C23 relegated to XE6, I switched over to a tackier ear tip to keep them in place – Crystals or Xelastics – while listening or moving about the house.

Ja, C23 + RN6 pairing was a experience but I also personally prefer a more balanced sound sig. Otherwise it's #TeamStockRN6 all the time or when I'm in that special mood, Cleo II OCTA 🤭

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #4,539 of 6,349

20230518_220053_resized.jpg

20230518_220105_resized.jpg
Yes the ergo is quite different. But interesting that you hear more sub-bass with the Code23. To me it's more of a full bass boost with a little too much mid-bass vs. stock. Like I said, to me it sounds like moving up a module. But I agree there is a tad more detail in the upper-mids. In terms of holography I also had a slightly different take - going back to stock brought a little more space between instruments and a little more depth so I perceived a bit more 3-dimensionality. Just my $.02...

May 20, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #4,540 of 6,349
Yes the ergo is quite different. But interesting that you hear more sub-bass with the Code23. To me it's more of a full bass boost with a little too much mid-bass vs. stock. Like I said, to me it sounds like moving up a module. But I agree there is a tad more detail in the upper-mids. In terms of holography I also had a slightly different take - going back to stock brought a little more space between instruments and a little more depth so I perceived a bit more 3-dimensionality. Just my $.02...

What atom module and eartips are you using? And, of course, I don't expect everybody to hear changes exactly the same :wink: Especially when it comes to bass, the seal, the fit, the insertion depth will play a big role.

May 20, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #4,541 of 6,349
I listen with Red module and Spinfit W1 medium tips. Adding the Code23 feels a bit like moving up to Black module. But don't get me wrong, I really like it. There is something about the overall solidity and detail and timbre of the Code23 that I really like on RN6. I prefer to swap it in over swapping to the black module.

May 20, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #4,542 of 6,349
I listen with Red module and Spinfit W1 medium tips. Adding the Code23 feels a bit like moving up to Black module. But don't get me wrong, I really like it. There is something about the overall solidity and detail and timbre of the Code23 that I really like on RN6. I prefer to swap it in over swapping to the black module.

With these details we can put it in a better perspective. My testing was done with black module and Azla Crystal eartips, more isolation, tighter fit, and more mid bass to begin with, so I think, relatively speaking, we are aligned :)

May 20, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #4,543 of 6,349
With these details we can put it in a better perspective. My testing was done with black module and Azla Crystal eartips, more isolation, tighter fit, and more mid bass to begin with, so I think, relatively speaking, we are aligned :)
Makes sense. Wish I could get the Crystals to work for me. Must be an anatomy thing. Feels almost like a skin thing. I like black second best of the modules too, fwiw

May 20, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #4,544 of 6,349
FiRRY RN6 spa day. New anodized ATOM XS replacement modules and cleaning kit arrived today – they look high quality especially red. FiR's responsive and amazing support team – Jessica! – has me a FiRRY fan 4 life.

IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0204.jpeg

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #4,545 of 6,349
I agree with Aaf that Xe6 stock Scorpion-C is excellent. If you want to expand the soundstage, maintain Xe6's signature and don't mind a thick cable – EA Code 23 is exceptional for $600 ($679 Pentconn 4.44) – it's been my favorite pairing so far.
IMG_3050.jpg

Very late to the game for pairing Xe6 with Code 23 but I love it! Great synergy that accentuates everything that is good about the Xe6 and at the same time allowing more resolution up top! Stage seems to be increased also. Oh, SednaEarfit Xelastec - M tips allowing a better fit and seal! New found life for my Xe6! Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back