Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #6,181 of 6,233
Our review of the FIR Audio 12 is now posted with comparisons to the Twilight, RE2000, and Dmagic 3D.

The bass response on this single dynamic is pretty darn good.

https://headfonics.com/fir-audio-e12-review/

1711789881276.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #6,182 of 6,233
Seems... strange... I could only imagine different "thickness" in relation to the "tubes"/"sound canals"

send photos! I sent my impressions to 64 for custom ear protection this week!
I'll see if I can find it, I had a picture of the comparison and my A18s and Rn6 that I took way back at the start of 2023 (Cleared all my 64 customs out mid 2023)

Have a hankering for the E12 though, want to try the new air canal tech.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #6,184 of 6,233
I had an opportunity to do some side-by-side critical listening with the Radon 6 (Rn6), UM Multiverse Mentor (MM) and Campfire Trifecta over the weekend.

My experience is that the Rn6 and MM are very similar, with TOTL base definition, control and resolution while also providing high-fidelity throughout the spectrum. Both have the ability to just 'growl' and create a visceral listening experience with low-mids, which I love. Staging and headspace are huge and immersive.

Both provide a neutral, accurate and detailed representation of high-mids and treble, including higher frequency cymbals and transients. Either of these could be my end-game IEMs, particularly when paired with a top-tier source like the Cayin N8ii or A&K SP3k.

Rn6 remains my personal all-time favorite IEM, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the MM, as well.

The Trifecta does not compete with these summit-tier IEMs, as it offers a more unique bespoke tuning with a base shelf and multiple treble peaks and troughs that alter the musical presentation. This is a pleasant experience if you enjoy that CA house tuning, but not as neutral or accurate compared to the Rn6 and MM.

Would love to hear others impressions of similar TOTL comparisons with FiR flagships. Not sure how much better anything could get from here.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #6,185 of 6,233
One thing to know is that the Rn6 scales really well. When I use it with SP3K->Shirogane IC->Tsuranagi->Shirogane 8w, it sounds spectacular. The Shirogane cables make the bass more articulate. The Tsuranagi adds a bit of warmth and soundstage depth.

I think the general consensus among many is that the Fei Wan is technically superior, but with that setup, it's almost a toss-up for me with respect to which I prefer. (FW still has better soundstage; Rn6 has better tuning, for my preferences; bass is top-tier for both, with different presentation -- I think I lean towards the visceral impact of the Rn6).

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #6,186 of 6,233
I had an opportunity to do some side-by-side critical listening with the Radon 6 (Rn6), UM Multiverse Mentor (MM) and Campfire Trifecta over the weekend.

My experience is that the Rn6 and MM are very similar, with TOTL base definition, control and resolution while also providing high-fidelity throughout the spectrum. Both have the ability to just 'growl' and create a visceral listening experience with low-mids, which I love. Staging and headspace are huge and immersive.

Both provide a neutral, accurate and detailed representation of high-mids and treble, including higher frequency cymbals and transients. Either of these could be my end-game IEMs, particularly when paired with a top-tier source like the Cayin N8ii or A&K SP3k.

Rn6 remains my personal all-time favorite IEM, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the MM, as well.

The Trifecta does not compete with these summit-tier IEMs, as it offers a more unique bespoke tuning with a base shelf and multiple treble peaks and troughs that alter the musical presentation. This is a pleasant experience if you enjoy that CA house tuning, but not as neutral or accurate compared to the Rn6 and MM.

Would love to hear others impressions of similar TOTL comparisons with FiR flagships. Not sure how much better anything could get from here.
What was your favorite atom modules and tips!
Mind sharing some of your test tracks?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #6,187 of 6,233
What was your favorite atom modules and tips!
Mind sharing some of your test tracks?
Sure, happy to share a bit more context. I started off this weekend's listening sessions intending to compare these three IEMs and to try to differentiate between them.

I put together a short playlist of tracks that are familiar, well recorded/mixed and highlight various aspects of the listening experience (staging, dynamics, transients, instruments). Not much emphasis on vocals in this list.

Miles Davis 'So What'
Dire Straits 'Telegraph Road'
REM 'Sweetness Follows'
Radiohead 'Everything in It's Right Place'
Tool 'Chocolate Chip Trip'

Then I paired with my preferred gear:

SpinFit W1 eartips
Red Atom Module w/Rn6
PWA Orpheus cable
Cayin N8ii DAP (AB, Solid State, P+)

This plan broke-down when I found myself enjoying the sound of both the Rn6 and MM so much that I wandered off into back-corners of my library (Tom Petty 'Runnin Down a Dream') led by the music and enjoying the synergy of this equipment. I guess that's what it's all about.

Apr 2, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #6,188 of 6,233
Hello everyone, I'm currently thinking about getting a new IEM. The Radon 6 and the Krypton 5 are on my shortlist. Which one would you prefer if you like the Hifiman house sound? I own the HEKSE which is generally a bit brighter, so could the Krypton be a better fit? Especially considering the current price difference here is 1k?

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #6,189 of 6,233
Hello everyone, I'm currently thinking about getting a new IEM. The Radon 6 and the Krypton 5 are on my shortlist. Which one would you prefer if you like the Hifiman house sound? I own the HEKSE which is generally a bit brighter, so could the Krypton be a better fit? Especially considering the current price difference here is 1k?
RN6 is worth every penny.

Sorry, Edit: To your question, the RN6 is much more balanced, has more energy across the treble and less bass "bleed" down-sloping at 80Hz while the KR5 continues its bass presence up through 500HZ. The RN6 has more, but similar, sub-bass energy than the KR5 at and below 80Hz. KR5 has an early rise through 1.5Khz drops off with 4, 6, and 8Khz peaks.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #6,190 of 6,233
Personally, I tend to favor resolution and detail over warmth and lower-end depth. Having read a lot of FiR reviews, I figured that the Kr5 would be the sweet-spot in the Frontier Series line-up for me.

While I appreciate the precise, resolving sound of the Kr5 and the lower-end is also quite well defined, I was surprised at how much I enjoy and ultimately prefer the Rn6. There is just something about this tuning and the technical capabilities of the Rn6 that checks all of the boxes for me - resolving, enveloping, visceral.

If there is any way that you can audition them, there is no substitute for your own ears and tastes.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #6,191 of 6,233
Im not sure if this is the best place to ask...

For the past year i have used my SE846 with standard cable into Cayin RU7 to Iphone 11 (Qobuz). Never had a problem with stuttering or skipping over wifi.

Just bought Fir Audio E12 that only comes with 4.4 balanced cable and immediately started skipping/stuttering or not playing at all, even though the time lapse on the Qobuz app shows it playing.

Plugged the IEM into a laptop with downloaded music and it played fine. Don't think its a problem with the IEM.

Do balanced cables require more from the wifi? Is the Cayin unable to handle the cables or power requirements?

What should i try next?

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #6,192 of 6,233
Im not sure if this is the best place to ask...

For the past year i have used my SE846 with standard cable into Cayin RU7 to Iphone 11 (Qobuz). Never had a problem with stuttering or skipping over wifi.

Just bought Fir Audio E12 that only comes with 4.4 balanced cable and immediately started skipping/stuttering or not playing at all, even though the time lapse on the Qobuz app shows it playing.

Plugged the IEM into a laptop with downloaded music and it played fine. Don't think its a problem with the IEM.

Do balanced cables require more from the wifi? Is the Cayin unable to handle the cables or power requirements?

What should i try next?

SE846 are more sensitive, need lower volume, and you used it with single ended 3.5mm lower power output of RU7. Switching to more demanding IEMs and balanced output that draws more power forces you to deal with iPhone limitation that caps how much current external devices can draw from its lightning connector port. The same setup will have no issues using Windows, MacBook, iPad, or any Android devices because none of them have current limitation. But iPhone does :frowning2:

Scroll toward the end of this page in my RU7 review, I covered it there. You can reduce power draw by switching RU7 to DSD64 oversampling, down from DSD256 or DSD128. You can switch to some ddhifi usb-c otg cables or even an adapter to brining in external power, or maybe you can get 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable plug adapter so you can go back to single ended output of RU7.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #6,193 of 6,233
SE846 are more sensitive, need lower volume, and you used it with single ended 3.5mm lower power output of RU7. Switching to more demanding IEMs and balanced output that draws more power forces you to deal with iPhone limitation that caps how much current external devices can draw from its lightning connector port. The same setup will have no issues using Windows, MacBook, iPad, or any Android devices because none of them have current limitation. But iPhone does :frowning2:

Scroll toward the end of this page in my RU7 review, I covered it there. You can reduce power draw by switching RU7 to DSD64 oversampling, down from DSD256 or DSD128. You can switch to some ddhifi usb-c otg cables or even an adapter to brining in external power, or maybe you can get 4.4mm to 3.5mm cable plug adapter so you can go back to single ended output of RU7.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I actually have a ddhifi usb-c to lightning cable. I switched the RU7 to Low gain and DSD64. I played a song through and it didn't skip. This may have solved my problem. But i wonder what I'm losing by never being able to use DSD128 or 256 settings. Seems a shame I have to limit myself, after spending $275 on a amp/dac and $1,700 on an end-game IEM.:frowning2:

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #6,194 of 6,233
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I actually have a ddhifi usb-c to lightning cable. I switched the RU7 to Low gain and DSD64. I played a song through and it didn't skip. This may have solved my problem. But i wonder what I'm losing by never being able to use DSD128 or 256 settings. Seems a shame I have to limit myself, after spending $275 on a amp/dac and $1,700 on an end-game IEM.:frowning2:
The real problem is the iphone :wink: switch to samsung 🤭🤣 Before I switched back in 2020 I had to use the "camera adapter" with extra port to charge and do data even on the Schiit stack if I wasn't powering it with the wall brick and even then it sometimes messed up with power draw even though it shouldn't have.

You can also do the dual charging set up/USB splitter and you're not limited by a laptop. Or swap out the RU7 by selling it second hand for a solid % recovery. There's a mountain of high performing dongles and bluetooth/usb devices below $500.

Apr 9, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #6,195 of 6,233
The real problem is the iphone :wink: switch to samsung 🤭🤣 Before I switched back in 2020 I had to use the "camera adapter" with extra port to charge and do data even on the Schiit stack if I wasn't powering it with the wall brick and even then it sometimes messed up with power draw even though it shouldn't have.

You can also do the dual charging set up/USB splitter and you're not limited by a laptop. Or swap out the RU7 by selling it second hand for a solid % recovery. There's a mountain of high performing dongles and bluetooth/usb devices below $500.
The splitter/battery just adds too much bulk to what is supposed to be a portable system for me.

So it seems to leave these options:

1) Get rid of the iphone for an android phone. This is tough as i really like the Iphone.
2) Get rid of the RU7 for a dongle that provides its own power. The sound on the RU7 is fantastic in a small lightweight form. Are there devices sounding as good, just as small and powers itself?
3) Sell the e12 and go back to the Shure SE846.
4) Live with the low gain DSD64 settings on the RU7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back