First audiophile headphone recommendation needed
Sep 29, 2020 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wolfstar76

Headphoneus Supremus
First, my purpose is in-doors general music listening (most Pop, some classical), no gaming.

My current experience is Sony MDR-v6 (need replacement due to damaged pad) and Sony wh-1000xm3 for full size, and Airpods pro and Audiosense T800 as IEM. I have a USB dac/amp Lotoo PAW s1 but can invest more if necessary.

I am looking for inexpensive (sub $400, can be a little more) full-size headphone that can significantly WOW me with my current gigs. Is it possible or I am asking too much for my budget?

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 5
BTW, I was debating between HD6xx and Thieaudio Phantom, both from Drop. The HD6xx is such a classic recommendation, but Thieaudio Phantom is my recent found from YouTouber such as BGGAR. Whatever I am searching, I can always find some very negative reviews or comments, it is so hard to make a decision.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you have an amp? For classical I'd recommend something with good imaging and wide staging. In your price range the AKG K601,K701,and to a lesser extent the K7xx come to mind. They def need an amp.

I would avoid the HD600,HD650,HD6xx due to a very narrow stage. They also require an amp.

If you do not want to mess with an amp you can look into the Fidelio X2,X3 . Theyre very easy to drive,but the bass can be a bit too much for your taste in music.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 5
I'd heavily recommend the Hifiman Sundara.

Sep 29, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions from Monstorzero and Voxata, I will consider that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back