First step into high end Headphones, where do I go?
Feb 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lowrider007

100+ Head-Fier
I want to jump onto the 'high end' headphone wagon, looking to spend around £300 max, I'm thinking to just jump in and go for the HD650's, mainly because they are very popular so seem like a safe jumping pad into the high end market (?), I just feel I need to jump in somewhere and gain a higher end reference point because I just don't have any real experience higher end sound signatures, I just need a starting point, I'm not expecting to love them, I lived with Koss Porta Pro's for many many years, then the PX100's, I've now been using the AKG K240 MKii's for a good few years.

After a lot of reading I've come to a couple of possible choices although I'm open to suggestions, either the HD650's bought in the UK @ £278, or maybe being a bit more adventurous and order the HE-400's from the states via ebay which works out at £275, although warranty could obviously be an issue buying abroad.

What do you think?, I'm tired of spending years reading about hi-end headphones not being able to decide on what to get.

I will be powering the headphones via a mains powered mixer.

My music tastes are,

Lounge/jazz/house fusion, (think Om Lounge series), Trance, Classical if that helps.

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 4
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12
If you haven't read that, do so now. It has very good info on nearly every headphone you'll be reccomended in this price range

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-hifiman-he-400-added-12-24-12
If you haven't read that, do so now. It has very good info on nearly every headphone you'll be reccomended in this price range

I'm going to end up at square one again I can feel it lol, I have the above already bookmarked, it's what lead me to the HE-400's, I've not read all of it though.

The thing is I've been reading up on headphones for years, I'm out in the sticks so I can't really audition any, I just feel I need to 'jump in' to get the ball rolling otherwise I'm never going to get any, I feel like I need someone to make the choice for me but I guess that's not really fair, from what I've been just reading now the HD650's can be fussy with what amp they are paired with so I'm leaning more towards the HE-400's now, my mixer/amp may not be the best quality but I know it has a lot current.

The Q701's are temping for the price but you hear so many people saying they are bass light and coming from the the K240's that could be a bit of a shock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back