flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 4, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #16,546 of 39,419
Wait, so these shells been filed with a nail file? Hard to tell because I'm not sure if it's a finish or something else :wink: Btw, I just tested FIR audio new atom xl modules, the same size as apex and adel; might give you another option for fine-tuning your iems sound (though, won't help you with the fit :D).

Just received these in the mail yesterday. Boy these modules are so hard to remove from the FiR case, had to twist them out of their sockets.

May 4, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #16,548 of 39,419
Staring at the internals of my iem has me wondering what the effects of internal rewiring would be, especially if the internal wires were replaced with thick gauge or multi-stranded wires. IIRC speakers are much the same way as well with relatively thin wires for the internal wiring of each speaker

May 4, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #16,549 of 39,419
Staring at the internals of my iem has me wondering what the effects of internal rewiring would be, especially if the internal wires were replaced with thick gauge or multi-stranded wires. IIRC speakers are much the same way as well with relatively thin wires for the internal wiring of each speaker
Probably more broken BAs and handing Sonion and Knwoles another pile of money :p

May 4, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #16,550 of 39,419
Probably more broken BAs and handing Sonion and Knwoles another pile of money :p
alright, time to embark on a new project
Fit this
DSC09277.jpg
into this
31RtQF7f+0L._SX425_.jpg

May 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #16,551 of 39,419
May 4, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #16,553 of 39,419
@pithyginger63 exploring the abyss of the hobby again eh? We salute you, you lunatic :p

May 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #16,554 of 39,419
Just received these in the mail yesterday. Boy these modules are so hard to remove from the FiR case, had to twist them out of their sockets.

Gotta use chip extractor, it's the only way :wink:

fir_audio_atom-XL-08.jpg

May 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #16,555 of 39,419
My dream setup, Chord Hugo 2 with an Uptone ISO Regen/LPS 1.2 and Sonore DC-4 cable + Curious USB cable. Listening to the chain on a set of Empire Ears Legend X and PW Audio 1950's. Extra, super special, custom hand-built Lego stand and a Crane stand for my laptop. Running DSD512 through BitPerfect on iTunes.

It is the best sounding setup that I have owned. Resolving, transparent, and musical, it is everything I ever wanted out of a transportable rig. I don't really have that many words to say as I have been lost in the music since I've assembled everything a few days ago. I have been trying to recreate the feeling of being at (((Stereo))) in Montreal, an after-hours club that has North America's best sound system (as touted by many international artists that have played there), while at the comfort of my own desk. The club itself is the best in Canada by far as it caters to the underground techno and house that the Europeans are known for. It's really an experience that cannot be described with words and one that needs to be experienced for themselves. Anyways, enjoy the pics and music! I threw in a mix by Pan-Pot @ Stereo from 2013, it's a 6 hour mix and I was there for 4 of it, this rig brings me right back to that dance floor and disco ball.

PS. Also biggest disco ball in NA :)

10286131.jpg
10286133.jpg
10286134.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #16,556 of 39,419
tiptip: for any non-narrow bore iems with too much upper bass and mid bass:

shure orange medium density foam tips. they dont attenuate the highs and the subbass rumble is largely intact, there are two cons, they reduce isolation, they tend to get gross quicker than complys if you don’t keep your ears clean.

May 5, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #16,557 of 39,419
@Wyville
I think a worthwhile thing to tinker with is stuffing earplug foam into the end of an Apex module and trying the earphones out that way. I originally had a modded plug that used a hard eraser but I destroyed it so I replaced it with this more easily reversible option.

For me the sound change is primarily in soundstage. I find the full plug mode has a more coherent sounding and much narrower soundstage, less stretched.

Attachments

• 20190505_155342.jpg
    20190505_155342.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190505_155419.jpg
    20190505_155419.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190505_155303.jpg
    20190505_155303.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #16,558 of 39,419
@Wyville
I think a worthwhile thing to tinker with is stuffing earplug foam into the end of an Apex module and trying the earphones out that way. I originally had a modded plug that used a hard eraser but I destroyed it so I replaced it with this more easily reversible option.

For me the sound change is primarily in soundstage. I find the full plug mode has a more coherent sounding and much narrower soundstage, less stretched.
Interesting, but pretty much the opposite of what I aim for, which is why I use the M15. Because I listen to a lot of classical music, I really want the biggest stage possible and in particular in terms of width and depth. That is one reason why I love the Dita Fealty so much, as they have a letterbox type of stage that works really well with (for instance) Saint Saëns' Violin Concerto No.3 or Paganini's Violin Concerto No.4. I tried cable rolling, but for some reason Dita's cables add width especially and so the stock cable of the Fealty won out over everything else I have, which was a first for me. With the U12t I loved the Truth copper, but I can't live with its springiness and so I switched to Lionheart and that gives a really natural feel and tone with the M15, but does not stretch the stage as much as I would like.

So now I am again (tentatively) thinking about the LCDi4 or U18t, but I don't expect I will have those funds available for at least the rest of the year, which has brought me back to considering (open-back) headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back