flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #34,921 of 39,414
This is a great community and I value everyones contribution, but in no way would any of you be able to 'peer' pressure me into a purchase. I would take myself away from the computer long before that happened.

We need to support one another, help eachother find our paths in the hobby, and within our means so it remains enjoyable (and sustainable)!

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #34,922 of 39,414
Hmm, you haven't experienced peer pressure because I think you are the root cause of it in this thread, with all your juicy pictures :D
Pot kettle black :p

Operation tomorrow at mid day, so I’m going to be out of it for a few days. Try not to cause too much mayhem.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #34,923 of 39,414

Operation tomorrow at mid day, so I’m going to be out of it for a few days. Try not to cause too much mayhem.
Funny. We are all accountable for our own decisions. There are a lot of
Enablers here though. I would never buy a $5000 IEM without encouragement.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #34,924 of 39,414
Hey, it’s not only boomers peer pressuring around here, I’m a millennial and I love peer pressuring @aaf evo (who is also a millennial) into buying a DMP-Z1 😎

@Calfredo826 I think we need to step up the intensity 🤣

are you a drug dealer or sth ? i mean how can you afford those toys at that age ?

if you have some rich uncle , well kudos i wish i were in your shoes/ears :)

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #34,925 of 39,414
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #34,926 of 39,414
Aug 9, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #34,928 of 39,414
Its nice to see that so many millennial headfiers are doing so well. I think you guys are the cream of the crop. My oldest is 28. He’s struggling to buy his first house, but that’s because entry level house is $1.5M where he lives in Palo Alto.
When I moved into the current house during junior high, we got it for ~500k CAD. Its now about about ~1.75 million CAD. The price of entry for first timers is essentially help from the bank and mom and pop.

Mortguage is paid off and they're essentially handing down the house because of the prices.
Hmm, you haven't experienced peer pressure because I think you are the root cause of it in this thread, with all your juicy pictures :D
@Damz87 is just sentient peer pressure at this point.
are you a drug dealer or sth ? i mean how can you afford those toys at that age ?

if you have some rich uncle , well kudos i wish i were in your shoes/ears :)
In my case, it was saving my paycheque for a couple years trying to afford the down payment and watching that skyrocket.

Not enough for that by any means. But enough to blow on porta fi while unemployed for the past year and a half.

Like @HiFiHawaii808 said, its interesting to see the values change over time.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #34,929 of 39,414
Off the top of my head, I can't recall what IEMs you already own/love, so that makes this more tricky.
I mean, realistically, there's a reason IEM's of $1-2k are referred to as TOTL.
All I can say is that the current set of IEMs I spend most time rotating between are the UM MEST (OG and Mk II), CA Solaris 2020, EE Phantom and Stealth Sonics U4.

CA Dorado 2020, iBasso IT07 and EE Nemesis are also in the mix depending on my mood at the time.

The Stealth Sonics U4 is a 4-BA IEM that costs $499 (if I recall correctly) and has a custom designed double size BA for the lows and lower mids.
It has, in my opinion, a gorgeous low end and mids and a fairly meaty, rich, warm tone overall.
It doesn't have greatly extended airy highs, although I have still found the separation to be very satisfying.

Given that generally I prefer DD-hybrid IEMs, and listen generally to stuff over $1k min, I can only say it's a testament to the U4 (or my bizarre tastes!) that it's still a daily IEM for me, up there with my TOTL stuff.

I also discovered new joy from it recently, having plugged it into my DX220MAX.
I found that this pairing really opens up the soundstage and separation, improves the technical performance still further, but (crucially for me) without impairing the tone and sound signature that make it so unique.

I've never heard another IEM that sounds like it. EE Phantom would probably be the closest, but I don't feel it's as dark as the Phantom and it's still rather different either way. It's a real musical IEM, for when you want to 'comfort listen' to songs you love.
Another thing is that I feel it's technically surprisingly good, but exquisitely smooth.
I can listen to it for hours with zero fatigue (and I do!) :)

The only caveat is that, with its unique sound signature, I'd imagine it's a bit of a 'love it or hate it' IEM.
And also, as with other tonally distinct IEMs, anyone trying it should ideally give their brain and ears time to get adjusted to its sound signature before forming any opinions :)

Aside from the U4, the only other IEM that springs to mind in your stated price range is the iBasso IT04.
It's fairly neutral-reference style, but with a tinge of warmth and musicality. It's pretty impressive technically too.
It's fairly neutral in the mid-bass, but with a sub-bass that extends down deep and can hit surprisingly hard when required. It has a lovely quality of shimmer to it. All this is my opinion and perception of course, YMMV as always :)

Anyway, it's a tough question to answer, but I thought I might as well share my thoughts!
Am off to listen to the U4 on DX220MAX now, good day everyone :D
Same here with the 220MAX (also with the Topping A90), albeit different IEMs, I'll always love my M8, but MAX opens up the stage and adds even more (moar bass!!!) BASS thump. The Thummim stage is in excellent overears territory in stage depth, width and height. I'm thinking hard about divesting all my over-ears and WA5 and going exclusively IEM.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #34,930 of 39,414
Gen X with millenial kids here. One of the things that bonds us is music - I happen to like millennial music more than I like my own generation's. Unlike some of the millennials here, though, they ain't leaving the house anytime soon! 🙄

@Damz87 its your calling man. I’m done with LP daps until they install a UI that isn’t made by 3 year olds.
Stolen footage from top secret L&P design lab...

WrC_DS.gif

Good luck David, see you back here soon, fit and well!

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #34,931 of 39,414
Gen X with millenial kids here. One of the things that bonds us is music - I happen to like millennial music more than I like my own generation's. Unlike some of the millennials here, though, they ain't leaving the house anytime soon! 🙄

Stolen footage from top secret L&P design lab...

WrC_DS.gif

Good luck David, see you back here soon, fit and well!
Just sent Wan your post :wink:

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #34,934 of 39,414

Good luck with a surgery!

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #34,935 of 39,414
Please send him my warmest regards and tell him I'll be happy to offer UX advice free of charge. 😁
haha will do! I've given him plenty of constructive feedback after the LP6 review and what Western customers expect in terms of software UX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back