FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #766 of 779
That's why I ordered straight from Schiit. They seem to prioritise direct customers as opposed to the EU or UK Schiit store.
That was for sure better way how to get it. I just didn't want to deal with those import duties (not clear how much it would be in my country) and I prefered to know exact price before buying, the price via Schiit-Europe wasn't bad at all, considering all those additional costs.

But in the end MJ3 would cost 1550 Eur in silver, while Mentor was about 1350 Eur including the upgraded cable (worth 100), aluminium remote (50) and all the shipment costs. Now when I know what Mentor can do, 1200 Eur seems to be really great deal. They are I think quite equaly great with MJ3, each with it's own signature of course, but I like Mentor. I was a bit affraid I will loose some bass weight in comparision to MJ3 in favour of soundstage and holographics, but I don't lack anything regarding bass, I'm really happy with Mentor. HEkSE go wild on that monster. Now it starts to sign even better after I have some 100 hours on that thing (or maybe it is just my brain strarted to accept it even more, who knows).

The only thing is the lack of preamplifier function on Mentor, but even that seems to be possible via headphone output into 2x RCA cable (in low gain mode). I still want to try this with some proper cable, which I first need to construct somehow. But that's just a non mandatory luxury use case I don't really need anyway.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #767 of 779
That was for sure better way how to get it. I just didn't want to deal with those import duties (not clear how much it would be in my country) and I prefered to know exact price before buying, the price via Schiit-Europe wasn't bad at all, considering all those additional costs.

But in the end MJ3 would cost 1550 Eur in silver, while Mentor was about 1350 Eur including the upgraded cable (worth 100), aluminium remote (50) and all the shipment costs. Now when I know what Mentor can do, 1200 Eur seems to be really great deal. They are I think quite equaly great with MJ3, each with it's own signature of course, but I like Mentor. I was a bit affraid I will loose some bass weight in comparision to MJ3 in favour of soundstage and holographics, but I don't lack anything regarding bass, I'm really happy with Mentor. HEkSE go wild on that monster. Now it starts to sign even better after I have some 100 hours on that thing (or maybe it is just my brain strarted to accept it even more, who knows).

The only thing is the lack of preamplifier function on Mentor, but even that seems to be possible via headphone output into 2x RCA cable (in low gain mode). I still want to try this with some proper cable, which I first need to construct somehow. But that's just a non mandatory luxury use case I don't really need anyway.
For me the price of the MJ3 and Mentor with all extra costs is about the same.
Both are definitely unique and appealing SS options also offering great value. I am really curious to find out which one I will keep in the end, although I am expecting a tough choice between two wonderful candidates with different strengths.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #768 of 779
I am really curious to find out which one I will keep in the end, although I am expecting a tough choice between two wonderful candidates with different strengths.
Good luck with that :). There are already folks here with both units at home, but happy to read yet another opinion on those two side by side.
I read MJ3 can get quite hot and I was considering that as an advantage for my passive house :) I guess it would be enough to heat my room during winter times. Mentor gets just slightly warm even after hew hours (quite an achievement for ClassA with even higher power than MJ3).

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #769 of 779
Alright, I caved in and snatched the last black Mentor from this run: the offer is just too unique to miss. It will be a shootout between my NOS-tubed Cayin HA-3A, freshly arrived Mjolnir 3 and the Mentor. The intention is to ultimately only keep one amplifier as audio allowance has been overstepped, but certainly only one SS amp can stay. Exciting weeks ahead! :)
Looking forward to the HA-3A comparison. That was one tube amp I was interested in because it was in the same price range as the Mentor.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #770 of 779
Looking forward to the HA-3A comparison. That was one tube amp I was interested in because it was in the same price range as the Mentor.
I will compare them, but there is the inevitable difference of tubes vs solid states: they do different things better. The MJ3 for example has more dynamic and impactful bass than my 3A regardless what rare and magical tubes I use but the 3A has more natural treble and more life-like acoustic instrument timbre and body. Tube magic is real and the 3A can really be improved and tuned with NOS tubes but these new and special SS amps also do some unique things. Practically impossible to pick an objective winner. At least so far.
I wonder, how the Mentor will step into this picture.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #771 of 779
There is enough difference between them that you may have to make a pretty agonizing choice. Psy for instance liked Mentor better but with a couple of his cans and with jazz in particular he liked the MJ3 better and ended up keeping them both.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #772 of 779
It will come down to your headphones and your genre of music. There is rarely any amp below 5K that will work well for all headphones and genre. I have allergy to background noise with my music which is why I didn’t dive into tube amps.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #773 of 779
There is enough difference between them that you may have to make a pretty agonizing choice. Psy for instance liked Mentor better but with a couple of his cans and with jazz in particular he liked the MJ3 better and ended up keeping them both.
I am used to agonising choices. It is the curse of a relatively limited budget. (Or shall I say there are other fund requiring areas in life?) :) Just need to give enough time to make the right decision. I wish I could have kept (almost) all the gear I have ever bought, but then a room would be just full of audio stuff. :)

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #774 of 779
I am used to agonising choices. It is the curse of a relatively limited budget. (Or shall I say there are other fund requiring areas in life?) :) Just need to give enough time to make the right decision. I wish I could have kept (almost) all the gear I have ever bought, but then a room would be just full of audio stuff. :)
I’ll say this about the Mentor. It takes preamp from tube amps pretty well. The only tube amp I got is a Lyr 3 so it’s not exactly hi-fi stuff but it gave a nice option to my Mentor. So if you have a better tube amp you can try preamping to see.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #775 of 779
oh you and me both. Exactly why I dont have a nice tube amp even though I love them. For me I had to pick an all-arounder and Mentor is awesome and pairs fantastically with my Yggy. But if I had my druthers those 3 you have on hand are a great 3. I decided that if I could stick to one good amp I could get a better dac and ended up with OG Yggy so I couldnt be happier.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #776 of 779
I’ll say this about the Mentor. It takes preamp from tube amps pretty well. The only tube amp I got is a Lyr 3 so it’s not exactly hi-fi stuff but it gave a nice option to my Mentor. So if you have a better tube amp you can try preamping to see.
Interesting- I've never done the preamp set up before, but both of my tube amps have preamp capabilities. When I set a tube amp to its preamp setting and use the preamp outs, is the voltage and volume pre-set and the volume knob is inactive? I suspect this is the case, but not sure, since I've never done it.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #777 of 779
Interesting- I've never done the preamp set up before, but both of my tube amps have preamp capabilities. When I set a tube amp to its preamp setting and use the preamp outs, is the voltage and volume pre-set and the volume knob is inactive? I suspect this is the case, but not sure, since I've never done it.
No, the Volume knob is active. I set mine to 12 o’clock and go up slowly. And the mentor is set at 8-9 o clock and go up slowly. Mainly at max volume on the tube amp you risk hearing background noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back