FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 780

Ichos

Reviewer at hxosplus
1fb.jpg

Dear friends, Flux is back with a new headphones amplifier.

FLUX Mentor dual-mono headphone amplifier

Here is the press release:

"Dear friends, we are pleased to introduce you to our new Dual-Mono headphone amplifier FLUX MENTOR with a two-block synchronization function.

Drawing on reach experience, our engineers have designed an audiophile-grade amplifier with meticulous attention to detail.

The amplifier uses a dual mono design with separate power supplies for each channel, including individual power transformers.

Each power supply uses four high-capacity Cornell Dubilier capacitors, which deliver significant current and have a low output impedance. These components are the foundation of the amplifier's detailed and precise sound.

The amplifier uses J-Fet transistors at the input for smooth and natural sound, and bipolar transistors at the output for high accuracy and transparency. The amplifier's supply voltage is 70 volts, providing plenty of power for even the most demanding headphones.

For the most demanding audiophiles, we have developed a synchronization module that allows the two amplifiers to be linked together. This provides even more power and a unique listening experience. Each channel of the amplifier operates in a fully-balanced mode. Simply select the master and slave channels to synchronize the volume levels.

The volume control is based on a 64-step relay volume control.

The amplifier also uses a high-quality UP-OFC power cable from the AC inlet socket to the power transformers. This helps to improve bass response and midrange detail.

At the output, the amplifier uses Ohno single-crystal copper (UP-OCC) cable. This allows the amplifier to perform to its full potential, with unmatched midrange detail and no hidden details.

The units are available in two stylish and versatile colors: Charcoal Black and Titanium Grey. The enclosures are finished in a high-quality powder coating with a unique texture that ensures reliability, durability, and an exceptional user experience, while the updated minimalist design with clean, simple lines is an elegant addition to your desktop setup.

More information, including technical specifications, will be available on the website shortly."

One amplifier is on its way to me for the first word-premiere test and review.

Stay tuned....

Some teaser photos

2fb.jpg

3_.jpg

4fb.jpg
5fb.jpg

Technical and physical parameters:

Output Power

11.2W RMS per channel into 32 ohms
33.5W RMS per channel into 32 ohms (mono mode)

1.6W RMS per channel at 300 ohms
6.4W RMS per channel into 300 ohms (mono mode)

Gain Settings

14dB, 20dB, 25.3dB
20dB, 26dB, 31.3dB (mono mode)

Analog Inputs

balanced XLR, mono balanced XLR, unbalanced RCA

Analog Outputs

4-pin balanced female XLR headphones out, TRS headphones out, 3-pin balanced female XLR (mono mode)

Dimensions

13.4 x 15.6 x 3.2 inches (342 x 397 x 82 mm)

Weight

6.3 kg (13.9 lbs)

Prices

The standard price for the Mentor are $1299 or $2599 for a fully balanced set of two amplifiers.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 780
Wondering how this one is going to measure up to the Volot. Is this one meant to be higher tier or not?

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 780
So is buying two and syncing them together just for Susvara users?

surprised that they used CD caps and highlighted that as a feature tbh. The board layout looks beautiful, great attention to detail.

either way really interested to see how this model prices out and compares to the previous FA line (or the Rebel)

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 780
Just had an interesting conversation with FLA on their Facebook page, comments on the balanced signal and comparison with my FA-22. Go check it out, I only have Facebook under my wife`s name so different login.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 780
Just had an interesting conversation with FLA on their Facebook page, comments on the balanced signal and comparison with my FA-22. Go check it out, I only have Facebook under my wife`s name so different login.
It would be very helpful to copy - paste it here.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 780
It would be very helpful to copy - paste it here.
OK here you go.

Donna Townsend
Awesome news to hear and it`s exactly what I`m looking for. Is this design using op-amps or fully discrete? I`d sure love to know the price.

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Flux Lab Acoustics
Donna Townsend Thank you for your high rating! This amplifier contains many different parts, including op-amps. For example, a balanced signal converter is built using high-quality operational amplifiers. The output stage here is completely discrete and has 7 transistors per channel (those on the heat sink). As for the price, it will be available soon.

Donna Townsend
That sounds brilliant. I have the FA-22 and love the sound. How would you say the sound compares/differs with this on low impedance headphones? Also will there be an introductory price? I`m very happy to hear you`re still going strong. Huge thank you from a big fan.

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Flux Lab Acoustics
Donna Townsend The FA22 is an excellent amplifier, one of our best in all respects. And it was only the difficulty in obtaining some of the components for its assembly that forced us to stop its mass production. Describing the differences, the Mentor will have an even bigger sound, at the moment it is very close to the Volot in the soundstage. At the same time, it has a smooth sound with a lot of detail and dynamics. Even without synchronisation, this amplifier will be more powerful than the FA-22. That's because the FA-22's supply voltage is 40 volts, whereas here it's 70. It's difficult to say what the introductory price will be, as availability is extremely limited. But in any case, the price will be very justified.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 780
This really captures my interest! (as a former owner of FA-22, sold to partially fund vacuum tube headphone amplifiers …)

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 780
Hi guys, Flux have published some actual information about the Mentor.

Quoting from their post:

".... Mentor qualities include clarity, detail, naturalness, speed and control. Not a single component of this amplifier has escaped our attention, and only after countless experiments with different components and circuit solutions have we arrived at this result.

Main specifications of the model:

Output Power

11.2W RMS per channel into 32 ohms
33.5W RMS per channel into 32 ohms (mono mode)

1.6W RMS per channel at 300 ohms
6.4W RMS per channel into 300 ohms (mono mode)

Gain Settings

14dB, 20dB, 25.3dB
20dB, 26dB, 31.3dB (mono mode)

Analog Inputs

balanced XLR, mono balanced XLR, unbalanced RCA

Analog Outputs

4-pin balanced female XLR headphones out, TRS headphones out, 3-pin balanced female XLR (mono mode)

Dimensions

13.4 x 15.6 x 3.2 inches (342 x 397 x 82 mm)

Weight

6.3 kg (13.9 lbs)

Front panel colour

Coal black, Titanium grey

They are also opening the orders with some special New Years discount:

"The standard price for the Mentor will be $1299 or $2599 for a fully balanced set of two amplifiers.

But before we go on sale, we want to give our customers a small New Year's discount. The special price will be valid from 1st December to 31st January and will be 1199 USD or 2399 USD for a fully balanced set of two amps.

Links to buy

Mentor single unit
https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/mentor-class-a-headphone-amplifier/

Mentor Stack
https://fluxlab-acoustics.com/product/mentor-dual-mono-class-a-headphone-amplifier-stack/"

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 780
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back