Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Oct 6, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #106 of 1,739
So I've had Bathys all day, and spent a good 3+ hrs listening. It's been great fun.

I decided to sit down and compare it thoroughly to the Bowers & Wilkins P9, mainly to decide if I'm going to order PX8, and also because I'm planning on doing a video review of Bathys. A user here did mention the PX8 is reminiscent of the P9 in many ways, as it's name suggests, so I thought this may be useful for people considering both to get an idea of B&W vs Focal. Comparisons are split by genre. I usually listen to a minute at least of each track on the headphones back to back, comparing particular details and overall presentation.

Vocals

Radio - Lana del rey

Vocal is much fuller and more detailed on P9, more pleasant, more forward, instrumentals take a back seat and complement the main portions. Beat has moore oomph due to the magnitude of bass.

On Bathys details pop forwards more. The instrumental parts are more defined, however it is at the expense of the vocals which feel smaller, less detailed and present.

Warrior Aurora

Again, auroras vocal is fuller and more impressive on the P9, it has a real wow effect. it’s nice and clear on Bathys, and enjoyable, but it doesn’t have that fullness.

The Bathys impresses with a sense of clarity, the P9 with sheer force and body.

I’ll be honest, for vocals alone, the P9 is in another league. It is a more impressive and powerful performance.

Electronic
Grimes - various tracks

Electronic music full of beats and exciting effects.
The Bathys, due to the way it renders instrumentals adds energy and sharpness to electronic music which is impressive. It has more ‘energy’ than the P9 which at times sounds a little weaker in comparison, lacking the sharpness and definition that makes electronic music really pop.
At points I’d say the Bathys is rendering this type of music much better. I notice aspects of songs that really drift too far into the background on P9, while on Bathys they are fully present and adding to the song as they should.

The P9 is still a great listen here, but I’d give a firm nod to Bathys.

Chemical Bros - Catch me im falling

Details sound more seperated and defined on Bathys, beautiful seperation.

some effects on the bathys sound a tad harsh but on P9 they are not as harsh, especially the horns. P9 feels more cohesive, and I preferred how it dealt with this track overall.

Lorn - Anvil

Details sound exquisite on the Bathys on this track, they have a sharp edge to them that demands attention. Everything feels nicely balanced

P9 - Some details are more filled out, but they have softer edges.

Bassier sound overall, again, feels more impressive and ‘big’ overall. Vocal sections have more body.

Could go either way here.

Classic Rock

Led Zeppelin/Greta Van Fleet

The seperation on Bathys again lends more space to each instrument, it’s much easier to perceive them separately and pick them out in the stage. This is very nicely done.

The Les Paul has a bit more body to it on the p9, but a bit more grunt on the Bathys. Both really nice presentations.

Once again vocals sound slightly distant and lacking on Bathys in comparison. This is less pronounced with rock though compared to the vocal heavy songs mentioned earlier, due to the overall band having more presence in the mix.

Classical

Bach Cello Suites

Bathys shows the power of it’s superior instrument separation here. The air it lends instruments, the space, is more compelling than what the P9 can do. Because the latter emphasises low frequency regions a tad too much it sounds a bit busy, and doesn’t give the Cello the space it needs.

Both still deliver a wonderful performance, but the Bathys I think is a more sophisticated listen here.

Debussy - Claire De Lune

Not a great performance here from Bathys. On one level the air it gives the strings gives a lovely separation and space from the piano. But the strings sound harsh at moments, noticeably so.

The P9 doesn’t achieve the same level of separation of the strings and piano. However, the notes have more body, and it never enters a harshness that the Bathys does, making it a much more agreeable listen. I think this is largely due to the superior timbre of the P9 which can make or break classical.

Overall

I think overall the P9 is a better headphone, it has more impressive moments. It delivers vocals with more body, detail and better timbre. It also reproduces natural instruments with ease, and lacks the harshness Bathys conveys at points when presenting strings.

On the flipside, the performance of Bathys for electronic music cannot be understated. The seperation and definition it brings to effects really shines, and if you’re a lover of EDM, high energy music, DJ sets, I’d say Bathys are an absolute win.

When listening to Rock, the two blur a little and give a fairly similar performance.

I think this is a very impressive performance from Bathys, given its additional capabilities over the P9 in aforementioned areas. However if the PX8 can match or come close to the P9, then Bathys is looking less like a clear buy to me, as the P9 is overall a better headphone in my opinion. Yet this is genre dependent, audio I've found is very rarely clear cut. Given the artists and genres you like it could go either way. Nonetheless this comparison has inspired me to place an order for PX8, so a proper comparison will come then...

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #107 of 1,739
@mainguy

could you try doing a +3db then +6d gain to 1k using the focal eq app? I'm wondering if the vocals are "fixed" or helped quite a bit using this. If you notice resolve's eq graph has a substantial dip here.

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #108 of 1,739
So I've had Bathys all day, and spent a good 3+ hrs listening. It's been great fun.

I decided to sit down and compare it thoroughly to the Bowers & Wilkins P9, mainly to decide if I'm going to order PX8, and also because I'm planning on doing a video review of Bathys. A user here did mention the PX8 is reminiscent of the P9 in many ways, as it's name suggests, so I thought this may be useful for people considering both to get an idea of B&W vs Focal. Comparisons are split by genre. I usually listen to a minute at least of each track on the headphones back to back, comparing particular details and overall presentation.

Vocals

Radio - Lana del rey

Vocal is much fuller and more detailed on P9, more pleasant, more forward, instrumentals take a back seat and complement the main portions. Beat has moore oomph due to the magnitude of bass.

On Bathys details pop forwards more. The instrumental parts are more defined, however it is at the expense of the vocals which feel smaller, less detailed and present.

Warrior Aurora

Again, auroras vocal is fuller and more impressive on the P9, it has a real wow effect. it’s nice and clear on Bathys, and enjoyable, but it doesn’t have that fullness.

I’ll be honest, for vocals alone, the P9 is in another league. It is a more impressive and powerful performance.

Electronic
Grimes - various tracks

The Bathys, due to the way it renders instrumentals adds energy and sharpness to electronic music which is impressive. It has more ‘energy’ than the P9 which at times sounds a little weaker in comparison, lacking the sharpness and definition that makes electronic music really pop.
At points I’d say the Bathys is rendering this type of music much better. I notice aspects of songs that really drift too far into the background on P9, while on Bathys they are fully present and adding to the song as they should.

some effects on the bathys sound a tad harsh but on P9 they are not as harsh, especially the horns. P9 feels more cohesive, and I preferred how it dealt with this track overall.

Lorn - Anvil

Details sound exquisite on the Bathys on this track, they have a sharp edge to them that demands attention. Everything feels nicely balanced

Bassier sound overall, again, feels more impressive and ‘big’ overall. Vocal sections have more body.

Classic Rock

The seperation on Bathys again lends more space to each instrument, it’s much easier to perceive them separately and pick them out in the stage. This is very nicely done.

The Les Paul has a bit more body to it on the p9, but a bit more grunt on the Bathys. Both really nice presentations.

Once again vocals sound slightly distant and lacking on Bathys in comparison. This is less pronounced with rock though compared to the vocal heavy songs mentioned earlier, due to the overall band having more presence in the mix.

Classical

Bach Cello Suites

Bathys shows the power of it’s superior instrument separation here. The air it lends instruments, the space, is more compelling than what the P9 can do. Because the latter emphasises low frequency regions a tad too much it sounds a bit busy, and doesn’t give the Cello the space it needs.

Both still deliver a wonderful performance, but the Bathys I think is a more sophisticated listen here.

Debussy - Claire De Lune

Not a great performance here from Bathys. On one level the air it gives the strings gives a lovely separation and space from the piano. But the strings sound harsh at moments, noticeably so.

The P9 doesn’t achieve the same level of separation of the strings and piano. However, the notes have more body, and it never enters a harshness that the Bathys does, making it a much more agreeable listen. I think this is largely due to the superior timbre of the P9 which can make or break classical.

Overall

I think overall the P9 is a better headphone, it has more impressive moments. It delivers vocals with more body, detail and better timbre. It also reproduces natural instruments with ease, and lacks the harshness Bathys conveys at points when presenting strings.

On the flipside, the performance of Bathys for electronic music cannot be understated. The seperation and definition it brings to effects really shines, and if you’re a lover of EDM, high energy music, DJ sets, I’d say Bathys are an absolute win.

When listening to Rock, the two blur a little and give a fairly similar performance.

I think this is a very impressive performance from Bathys, given its additional capabilities over the P9 in aforementioned areas. However if the PX8 can match or come close to the P9, then Bathys is looking less like a clear buy to me, as the P9 is overall a better headphone in my opinion. Yet this is genre dependent, audio I've found is very rarely clear cut. Given the artists and genres you like it could go either way. Nonetheless this comparison has inspired me to place an order for PX8, so a proper comparison will come then...

Able to compare with any other wireless sets, or any of the other Focal closed backs? Cheers!

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #109 of 1,739
@mainguy

could you try doing a +3db then +6d gain to 1k using the focal eq app? I'm wondering if the vocals are "fixed" or helped quite a bit using this. If you notice resolve's eq graph has a substantial dip here.
Hopefully i didn't sound to scathing about vocals, they're still very good for a BT headphone. Much better than my Airpods Max for MW65. Clearer and better imaged.

I'd happily do this, but my internet right now is my phone and the focal & naim app is demanding I jump on wifi to setup a new device.!
Able to compare with any other wireless sets, or any of the other Focal closed backs? Cheers!
Yes, I think I'll do a full video review soon with comparisons to Focal Clear, Stellia and PX8.
In a nutshell, Bathys has a new tuning different to any Focal I've tried. Treble is smoother and jumps out less than the Clear & Elegia, making it a less energetic, more relaxing listen. It's also the Warmest closed back I've tried from Focal. Stage wise it's similar to Celestee.
It's most similar to Celestee overall imo. Sadly i don't have Celestee on hand for a detailed overview. I have a feeling Celestee is technically more accomplished, but not by a lot.

Compared to the bluetooth sets I own, Airpods Max and MW65, Bathys is considerably better in just about every tangible way. It is more detailed than APM, has much better imaging, lends vocals a clearer quality. Overall I find it a much more engaging and impressive listen than APM and it's a straightforward upgrade which won't disappoint in that regard. The MW65 sounds better to me than the APM and I think i'll do an in depth comparison to that at some point.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #114 of 1,739
I'm really interested in eventually trying the Bathys. They are definitely the best looking of the major ANC headphones.
The Momentum 4 looks pretty comparable with lighter weight, better battery life, and half the price. I prefer the tuning of Focal over Sennheiser though. Would like to see a comparison of these two.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #115 of 1,739
I'm really interested in eventually trying the Bathys. They are definitely the best looking of the major ANC headphones.
The Momentum 4 looks pretty comparable with lighter weight, better battery life, and half the price. I prefer the tuning of Focal over Sennheiser though. Would like to see a comparison of these two.
You do sound like a serious customer that knows what he wants.

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #117 of 1,739
Mine are out for delivery today! Looking forward to comparing w/ my AirPods Max and Sony XM5.
Mine have moved to tomorrow :frowning2:

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #118 of 1,739
👍
-2db/62Hz
-1db/250 Hz
+1db/1KHz
+2db/4Khz
+2db/16khz

Little bit more low end and less bright...this are my two best settings to my ears and which completely cover my music genres even at higher listening volumes

NOMAX

PS.Lol
Mine just arrived! I'm liking this EQ so far. Brings out the detail in the top end. The flat EQ and the factory EQ options are a bit meh.

Only short listens so far. BT on iPhone AAC and AptX on the computer are "alright" in my definition and opinion relative to my other headphones and experience. In that they sound really great, yes they do, but so does my old trusty P7W, which I absolutely love. The Bathys has its own house sound which I'm still getting used to.

In usb DAC mode is where the Bathys really shine. Unlocking more detail and getting rid of that "BT sound".

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #119 of 1,739

Vocals

Radio - Lana del rey

Warrior Aurora

Electronic
Grimes - various tracks

Lorn - Anvil

Classic Rock

Classical

Bach Cello Suites

Debussy - Claire De Lune

Overall

Thank you for detailed review.

Although Niam Focal CEO stated the design is HIFI first, I don’t see why they compromised by adding mic calls, making it smaller to be portable.

It seems in 2022 still hard to find a wireless headphone where sound quality is first.

Your points about Vocal Performance makes me think it’s disappointing for this price.

Am I reading this wrong?

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #120 of 1,739
Hopefully i didn't sound to scathing about vocals, they're still very good for a BT headphone. Much better than my Airpods Max for MW65. Clearer and better imaged.

I'd happily do this, but my internet right now is my phone and the focal & naim app is demanding I jump on wifi to setup a new device.!

Yes, I think I'll do a full video review soon with comparisons to Focal Clear, Stellia and PX8.
In a nutshell, Bathys has a new tuning different to any Focal I've tried. Treble is smoother and jumps out less than the Clear & Elegia, making it a less energetic, more relaxing listen. It's also the Warmest closed back I've tried from Focal. Stage wise it's similar to Celestee.
It's most similar to Celestee overall imo. Sadly i don't have Celestee on hand for a detailed overview. I have a feeling Celestee is technically more accomplished, but not by a lot.

Compared to the bluetooth sets I own, Airpods Max and MW65, Bathys is considerably better in just about every tangible way. It is more detailed than APM, has much better imaging, lends vocals a clearer quality. Overall I find it a much more engaging and impressive listen than APM and it's a straightforward upgrade which won't disappoint in that regard. The MW65 sounds better to me than the APM and I think i'll do an in depth comparison to that at some point.
Which device did you compare these with - Android or Apple?
The reason is we know Airpod Max sound much better with Apple then Android.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back