Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,682 of 1,720
When you plug the cable to the phone and you get a pop up to allow access to tidal or any other app ignore it. Click any where in the screen then you should hear music when you start playing.

Feb 26, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #1,683 of 1,720
3.5 is the weakest thing about Bathys. Use usb-c if you can
What I'm saying is I disagree, where did this knowledge come from can you please provide a link? Or is it just your opinion? In my Mojo 2/Poly it sounds better. "shrugs"

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #1,686 of 1,720
What I'm saying is I disagree, where did this knowledge come from can you please provide a link? Or is it just your opinion? In my Mojo 2/Poly it sounds better. "shrugs"

This makes no sense. The 3.5 Jack of Bathys works as an ADC. The chain that you have in the end: Your digital music -> Mojo 2 DAC -> Bathys ADC -> Bathys DAC/DSP -> bathys amp section

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #1,687 of 1,720
I'm not sure why, maybe golden sound in, golden sound out? I watched/ read every review I could find (dozens) and not one reviewer test using the 3.5mm, they say it's there and moves along.

Feb 29, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #1,689 of 1,720
3.5mm is analog so goes from Mojo 2's DAC to analog and then into Bathys as analog via 3.5 so MUST be analog and how would it go though Bathy's DAC again, I don't believe it could or does? I think it just uses the Bathys amp section and stays analog so the music from the Mojo 2 would sound better as it does to me.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #1,690 of 1,720
3.5mm is analog so goes from Mojo 2's DAC to analog and then into Bathys as analog via 3.5 so MUST be analog and how would it go though Bathy's DAC again, I don't believe it could or does? I think it just uses the Bathys amp section and stays analog so the music from the Mojo 2 would sound better as it does to me.
Everything I read about the Bathys claims the analog input gets reconverted to digital, DSP'd, and to the drivers. So your setup leads to multiple conversions. Maybe these extra conversions add a pleasant sound signature or artefact.

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #1,692 of 1,720
It is converted to digital, then DSPed then back to analog so it is just you preferring the coloration from the extra steps. The purest path on the Bathys is USB input from digital. You can test this for your self by adding moving the three lowest frequency sliders in the EQ to the bottom and top two to max and then listen. It will be very treble heavy sound coming out of your headphones showing that the DSP is active.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,693 of 1,720
I have a portable DAC/amp I can use, but I did not to worry about the cable getting caught on a cabinet handle or something and the headphones flying off.
I would very much appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the sound quality comparison between DAC mode with USB C cable from phone/computer and using a portable DAC/amp connected to your headphones by 3.5 jack cable. I did read that 3.5 don't provide such a nice sound quality as DAC mode with USB C cable does. Will using a quality portable DAC/amp compensate to reach USB C level of sound quality on DAC mode?

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,694 of 1,720
I would very much appreciate if you could share your experience regarding the sound quality comparison between DAC mode with USB C cable from phone/computer and using a portable DAC/amp connected to your headphones by 3.5 jack cable. I did read that 3.5 don't provide such a nice sound quality as DAC mode with USB C cable does. Will using a quality portable DAC/amp compensate to reach USB C level of sound quality on DAC mode?
I don't have a good DAC/amp to test with, but I'll point out something that I learned that surprised me --- the 3.5" in goes through an ADC, through the DSP section, and then through the internal DAC back out. So I'd be curious to hear what others say, and would not be surprised if it doesn't help as much with headphones that have a fully analog signal path.

(I like mine a lot, but use them either as BT headset for podcasts & audiobooks, or via USB-C for music).

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #1,695 of 1,720
It's a been a while. Off the top of head, there was a volume difference since I was a using FiiO K9 Pro (ESS) and a FiiO BTR5, which have a more power drive the headphones. Sound wise, they all had the "Focal" sound, obviously. At the time, I didn't spend hours comparing them. It was more cursory than critical comparison.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of moving and trying to get organized. Half my stuff is packed in boxes. I'll try to remember when I finally get everything organized and setup. It maybe a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back