Focal Hadenys & Azurys Review & Measurements
May 7, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #46 of 160
May 7, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #48 of 160
Totally unnecessary and 0 innovation from Focal.
Im a fan of the brand, but no ones needs those models when you already have plenty of wired open&close backs in the brand.
they do have tons of models, but no entry level closed back (i mean, elegias are on a $350 runout...) but those won't be around for ever.

i feel like they should make another, more affordable bluetooth model in this lineup.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #49 of 160
Hmm, I mean the Stellia is much nicer too look at than the E3. We're talking about something that looks like a work of art, vs a headphone like the E3 which is uninspired at best.

Sound quality, I've seen people prefer either. And Stellia can be had around $2400 at most dealers these days. Plus Stellia is way easier to drive, making it more convenient...I'm not so sure it needs a refresh, maybe just a price cut to $2400 or so to reflect the new market contenders.
I have both Stellia and E3. And I prefer the sound of E3. More neutral, detailed, and engaging. However, both are not great portable headphones. Stellia is easy to drive, but the size is too huge, E3 is portable enough, but way too hard to drive on portable DAPs. If Azurys sound as close as Celestee when dealer store has it, I am in. Just a little shame that both Azurys and Hadenys headphones can't run balanced connection.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #50 of 160
I have both Stellia and E3. And I prefer the sound of E3. More neutral, detailed, and engaging. However, both are not great portable headphones. Stellia is easy to drive, but the size is too huge, E3 is portable enough, but way too hard to drive on portable DAPs. If Azurys sound as close as Celestee when dealer store has it, I am in. Just a little shame that both Azurys and Hadenys headphones can't run balanced connection.
I'm personally hoping for a Radiance esque sound on the Azurys, that headphone was brilliant even alongside my Stellia. If Focal can pull that off in this smaller chassis then this will sell like hotcakes imo.

May 8, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #51 of 160
I understand that you can't drive them balanced, unlike the cheaper MV1. Maybe someone can compare them both.
There are headphones with a single 3.5mm jack connector and mic compatibility that still can be run balanced like the Sony 1AM2. If I end up getting Hadenys or Azurys, I know I already have the balanced cable from my 1AM2

May 8, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #52 of 160
There are headphones with a single 3.5mm jack connector and mic compatibility that still can be run balanced like the Sony 1AM2. If I end up getting Hadenys or Azurys, I know I already have the balanced cable from my 1AM2
If the headphone is configured single ended internally, there is no way to run balanced. Unless you need to open the cup, dissemble the chassis, reconfigure and connect the wires manually. For example, headphones like Hifiman Deva only have one cable, but the headphone is configured with balanced connection internally, so it is possible to run balanced. But not with Azurys.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #53 of 160
If the headphone is configured single ended internally, there is no way to run balanced. Unless you need to open the cup, dissemble the chassis, reconfigure and connect the wires manually. For example, headphones like Hifiman Deva only have one cable, but the headphone is configured with balanced connection internally, so it is possible to run balanced. But not with Azurys.
Has this been confirmed by Focal? I have never came across an internally single ended headphones in the high end/audiophile market before

May 8, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #54 of 160
Has this been confirmed by Focal? I have never came across an internally wired single ended headphones in the high end/audiophile market before
Jude already said this in the video. The connector is TRS, so it can't run balanced. Well you can put balanced cable on Azurys but the sound is no difference. Since this headphone is mainly for portable use and very easy to drive, unbalanced is not a deal breaker for me. But If you really want balanced, get the Celestee or Radiance.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #55 of 160
Has this been confirmed by Focal? I have never came across an internally single ended headphones in the high end/audiophile market before
Jude already said this in the video. The connector is TRS, so it can't run balanced. Well you can put balanced cable on Azurys but the sound is no difference. Since this headphone is mainly for portable use and very easy to drive, unbalanced is not a deal breaker for me. But If you really want balanced, get the Celestee or Radiance.

Just for clarification, what I said i the video was this:

"In either case, the cable on both has a 3.5mm TRS ear-side connection, so aftermarket cables should be readily available, but I think fully balanced cables may be off the table for these."
@oldkid, whether or not the Azurys/Hadenys is wired like your Sony is something Focal would have to confirm. When I saw the TRS ear-side connector, I assumed balanced may be off the table.

May 8, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #56 of 160
One thing to note about the Sony MDR1AM2: it uses a 3.5mm TRRS, not TRS, on the headphone side. The Focal cables we have here both utilize a 3.5mm TRS connector at the headphone.

89633_original_local_1200x1050_v3_converted copy.jpg
Image: Sony

May 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #58 of 160
These are entry level headphones and cannot be compared with Celestee or Radiance, not the same line, not the same price, let's stop dreaming !
I mean over and over again the past few years products have launched at lower prices that oust their more expensive competitors.

These use the same driver as Celestee, are passive, and include whatever learnings Focal have made over the past 3 years since Celestee launched...It is possible they'll be quite competitive.

May 8, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #59 of 160
One thing to note about the Sony MDR1AM2, it uses a 3.5mm TRRS, not TRS, on the headphone side. The Focal cables we have here both utilize a 3.5mm TRS connector at the headphone.

Image: Sony

That doesn't prove anything. TRS cables are compatible with every socket. Only focal or someone willing to disassemble the headphones can confirm they can't be plugged balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back