For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #19,831 of 20,861
M-Scaler > TT 2 > Focal Stellia

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 22.11.55.png

Perfect listening session for the evening before new week starts with new challenges :) Focal Stellia and Chord Hugo TT2 is a great little system with great synergy. Stellia also shows how transparent and overall great are TT2: headphone amp section and volume control.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #19,832 of 20,861
HIBY R8 II > Topping A90 Discrete > Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2
One of my faovorite techno releases in 2024, ambient dub style.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #19,833 of 20,861
Apr 21, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #19,834 of 20,861
IMG_3613.jpeg
Classic 70’s rock album, played on every stereo at UMass back in the day.
Fostex TH-909 - Liquid Platinum- Pegasus-MXN-10

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #19,835 of 20,861
HIBY R8 II > Topping A90 Discrete > Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2
One of my faovorite techno releases in 2024, ambient dub style.

I listened to this while re-organizing my new CD bookshelf. Not bad at all, I actually found myself grooving to it. Know where I might find a CD copy of it?

BTW, I see this one is not listed on Spotify. Is this a new release?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #19,838 of 20,861
Classic 70’s rock album, played on every stereo at UMass back in the day.
Fostex TH-909 - Liquid Platinum- Pegasus-MXN-10
... the trick was to get 20+ stereo systems: each with both speakers on the dorm window sills facing out to the quadrangle, playing the same album, at the same time, at high volume.
• We mastered this after a number of tries & with the help of a track/field starter gun 😀.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #19,839 of 20,861
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #19,840 of 20,861
Where are the impressions?:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I was hoping Leo would do his YouTube and I can say ditto!

@Leonarfd can correct my aural scribbles below if anything is off.

It's romantically organic smooth sound. Lush full-bodied mids that tend to shower notes; warm bassy but with enough bite and note weight. Posh!

Bass is quality textured, and continues to surprise at how well it's done. Has a nice slam. Not those bloomy muddy bass. My Sivga has this organic smooth rendering but without enough bite or bass. This has the Jap sauce!

The posthumous lingering of notes is rather neat; doesn't overstay nor flee too soon.

Not bright. That's the domain of new models loak tx01 and tx03 I gather. So if you wish bright and bassy they are the way to go.

The soundstage is intimate, not large nor cramped but separation of notes is v good and so it renders busy stuff rather well. And the organic warmness suits heavy low-end rumbling doom music. Prog and Dub.

It scales really well with high volumes without any distortion and I guess, it will do even better with propah amplification. Overall pretty posh sound!

Currently listening to this track

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #19,841 of 20,861
... the trick was to get 20+ stereo systems: each with both speakers on the dorm window sills facing out to the quadrangle, each playing the same album, each at the same time, each at high volume.
• We mastered this after a number of tries & with the help of a track/field starter gun 😀.
That must have influenced the invention of Surround Sound :beerchug::L3000:

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #19,842 of 20,861
There's no getting around it. I just can't get over the Symphonium Meteor.

BlackMountain_Destroyer.jpg

Destroyer (2019), Black Mountain

Many thanks to @Bret Halford for pointing the way toward Black Mountain a few days ago in this thread. I've spent those same few days digging through their discography and loving pretty much everything I've heard. A blend of Queens of the Stone Age, Ween, Fu Manchu, and a dozen other stoner rock dumb-geniuses who draw on the simple, heavy, hard rock of the '70s and early '80s. Also, this latest release might just have the best album cover ever created. And that's to say nothing of the killer, dark, deep, crunchy tunes in it.
Checking this album out now, interesting and the type of album that you want to hear all the way through!

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #19,843 of 20,861
iMac > Qobuz > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE (NOS) > Schiit Freya+ Tube Pre > Ferrum OOR & Hypsos > Hifiman Susvara

On The Wes Montgomery Trio – A Dynamic New Sound: Guitar Organ Drums, his third album which appeared on Riverside Records in 1959, Wes Montgomery confirmed that it was he who caused the earth to tremble with his jazz guitar. And this superb disc cements his name just that bit more in amongst those of the greats. He is joined by Melvin Rhyne on the organ and Paul Parker on the drums adding a simple accompaniment, without ever treading on his toes nor attracting too much attention. Because of course, the hero of these sessions produced on 5th and 6th October 1959, at Reeves Sound Studios in New York, by Orin Keepnews, will always be Wes Montgomery and no one but Wes Montgomery! His style, virtuosic and soaked with the blues, brought a fresh sound to this instrument that was previously dominated by Barney Kessel and Tal Farlow. And in his solos such as ‘Round Midnight, the guitarist from Indianapolis slickly unfurls his refined sound, his unique style and his enchanting phrasing. A few months later, with The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery, still with Riverside Records, the affair would take on a whole new look thanks to Tommy Flanagan, Percy Heath and Albert "Tootie" Heath, sidemen of a higher calibre…

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 12.01.03 AM.png

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #19,845 of 20,861
roon > Schiit Modi Multibit > Schiit Vali 2 (mullard 6DJ8) > Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::L3000::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

southernblood.jpg

Southern Blood (2017) by Gregg Allman - This, his final album, was recorded after the liver cancer had returned and so he knew he was on borrowed time. his had to influence the song choices, such as My Only Friend, Going, Going Gone and I Love The Life I Live and to finish the studio tracks there's a beautiful rendition of Jackson Browne's Song For Adam, with the writer providing backing vocals, at one point Gregg gets so choked up that he can't sing. All in all it's a superb album and a great final chapter to a long career and a well lived life. The Schiit mini stack and the RS-1x were the only choice for this album, I didn't consider anything else. :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back