Fun:a big fat box of Nordost arrives for a visit
Jun 10, 2006 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I was handed a suitcase full of Nordost cables and cords. This will be fun to play with! No I'm not a dealer just a guy dumb enough to listen.
tongue.gif

Right now I have the Baldur, Heimdall and Frey hooked up for comparison. This comes at a funny time as I'm a bit anti-cable at the moment. Money is surely best spent elsewhere. But who can resist a big box of candy?
icon10.gif

case.jpg

case3.jpg

Yummy...Frey ICs & speaker cables, Brahma PCs, etc.

case2.jpg

First time with these fancy blue WBT connectors.

wbt.jpg

I like the Heimdall so far. Quite flat (if you know what I mean) and unhyped sounding. Very natural sounding.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
omg how do i get a box for demo?

The usual things, good looks, charm, deodorant.

Quote:

I wanna try the speaker cables!!!! which ones are in there?

Blue Heaven, Red Dawn, Baldur, Heimdall and Frey.

I can guarantee that I won't be buying the $2,400 USD Frey.
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Right now I have the Baldur, Heimdall and Frey hooked up for comparison.

backpanel.jpg

The green wire is an Oritek X2 and the fat blue one on tape out to headphone amp is a PS Audio Statement. The PC is a Nordost Vishnu I've had for awhile.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 36
I am envious beyond your wildest imagination
evil_smiley.gif

Please post many impressions!

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Please post many impressions!

Listened to so far at length have been CDs Smashing Pumpkins 'Mellon Collie and the infinite Sadness' and 'Adore'. I played these the other day for the first time since the years of their releases and expected the worst in terms of SQ and wow was I wrong.
Ignoring Billy Corgan's often electronically treated whine, the guitars, bass and drums on something like 'Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans' will knock your socks clean off if played at a sufficient volume. Most excellent!
Also heard Bach Goldberg Variations (Rosalyn Turek 459 599-2). Gotta hear piano. Tool 10,000 Days.

Tool's 10,000 Days was the last thing I listened to and it was fascinating. Hardly "audiophile" but I like it a lot despite even having some clipping to be heard in spots. Intentional or not it is quite an artificial landscape that is heard on this CD but the Heimdall rendered it less electronic and certainly expanded it's projected images. I've heard this CD a lot lately and had it out with me as I demoed speakers and subs. Living Voice speakers did the best job of it but were in the end still beaten by ATC for my particular tastes and so I stuck with them but got a larger model than I had before.

Swapping between the usual suspects of excellent RCA cables Oritek, PSAudio, Grover and the Heimdall, Frey and there's not much of a contest. The Nordosts are simply in another class. Linear and quiet, finer, a much greater disappearing act. The others sounded coarse and unproportional in comparison. My wife who could care less about these things said the non-Nordosts were louder. On occasion I thought I didn't like what I was hearing from the Nordosts on bad CDs and a swap back to the old didn't make anything better really. I'll have to do what I always do which is play some semi-crap at a good volume for more than an hour and see if I end up writhing on the floor in a puddle of pee begging for it to end.

The Heimdall seem to be near 80 or 90% as good as the Frey. I hardly listened to the Baldur as it didn't immediately impress. I'll try it again tomorrow. These cables have all been run-in already BTW.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 36
I'm subscribed!

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 36
awesomeness cablegoodness wires, electrons, electricity, silver, neat.

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
My wife who could care less about these things said the non-Nordosts were louder.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only difference between them. Louder does sound better after all.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I wouldn't be surprised if that is the only difference between them. Louder does sound better after all.
wink.gif

The higher up you go in Nordost's line of cables the louder it gets. Valhalla power cord sounds louder than Vishnu. Valkyrja speaker cable sounds much louder than Solar Wind (1+ dB). Valhalla interconnect sounds louder than other brands I tried.

I have done a few ABX tests in a year period and these are the results:

0.6-1.0 dB difference between Van den Hul D 102 mkIII and Valhalla interconnect.
0.7 dB difference between Vishnu and Valhalla power cord.

The interconnect depended more on the system and what power cord was used.

Since I got a full Valhalla system (5 power cords, 1 interconnect, 1 Valkyrja (as good as Valhalla) headphone cable) I have reduced the volume about 5.5 dB total, that's a lot. I listen at about 54-57 dB volume now.

Quote:

I can guarantee that I won't be buying the $2,400 USD Frey.

Try it for a few months and I can almost guarantee you don't want to let it go.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Pity.

No DNM.

N I did follow your lead and did request them as their distributor pointed me to the same person but he said he's dropped them due to dissatisfaction. So I don't know if there is any special inductance/resistance/etc ATC synergy. He didn't think there was...but who knows the truth...maybe the profit margin is too low?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
If we told you we'd have to kill you.
evil_smiley.gif

I was wondering if there were audiophile muggers. This case with logo would be the way to find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The higher up you go in Nordost's line of cables the louder it gets.

Well...
icon10.gif
...although I wasn't sure how the "louder" observation would be perceived, I chose not to clarify at the time. The non-Nordost cables sounded louder because their distortion was greater, and they were less even from top to bottom of the frequency spectrum. In comparison, they called attention to themselves, let themselves be known.

link

Quote:

In the past I've tried to keep it simple (stupid
wink.gif
), confining the description to imaging, transparency, etc. I think cables can be pretty simple and there's basically just a sliding scale of transparency. Is one cable more transparent than another being mostly what it's about. I could be oversimplifying it and wrong. I try not to 'fill the void'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The aftermath
A little help?
tongue.gif

messacables.jpg

BTW the Nordost speaker cables are a dream to swap with the banana plugs or Z plugs as they call them (why Z?). Fast and easy!

The Nordosts are really very easy to assess as the step up in performance or rather the step out of the way of the signal is fairly easy to hear. The gaps between are consistent and make sense given the math of the increase in conducters of each. Some listening was done off axis.

I started with more interconnect swaps and due to being impressed yesterday, had a mind to possibly purchase one pair. And there is the frustration in trying to determine musical and monetary value as the steps up from Baldur to Heimdall to Frey are at each, one of those damn things where it isn't something really huge but it is noticeable and does seem important. (I stayed with the Tureck's Bach and Tool's 10,000 Days specifically 'Wings For Marie' and 'The Pot'). Like running up and down the keys of a piano I ran numerous times up and down the Nordost line first with the interconnects, and then later with the Frey in place, up and down the speaker cables line. The results were always the same and entirely predictable after a time. At the summit with the Brahma power cord from wall to the PS Audio UPC200 and Frey IC/speaker cables in place it is an extraordinary listen of great delicacy, holography and low level detail, and all tonally correct by my imperfect reckoning. A real sense of uninhibited purity of signal. Very realistic. The difference between the base and full summit can't be understated, unlike the incremental steps, the music at the top is huge.

Low level detail? I never realized Maynard very, very softly breathes "you" at near 1:08 of 'Wings For Marie (PT.1)'.
cool.gif

Now heard, I can hear it through the more modest wires but it took the Nordosts to reveal it as having been there.

(For a short time when I switched from Heimdall to Frey speaker cable things sounded bleached and thin. I wondered if, as instructed, there did need to be some amount of time for this to dissipate. I also wondered if I was setting myself up to be mentally tricked. I did give it fifteen minutes of play time and it did seem to fill out. I couldn't be entirely sure which of us adjusted but for every negative I felt I swapped back to my original cables only to discover that the negative was still there but worsened. Again also, I had in my mind through out the auditions my own motivations regarding the desire to possibly find favour amongst the offerings, with what my budget is...an entity sneaking behind my every move like Smeagol).

"It is precious....but how much?!!!!"

smeagol.jpg

Climbing back down from the summit piece by piece from Frey to Heimdall to Baldur to Oritek from Brahma to Vishnu was the same every time. Music became more artificial at every step. Flatter not in a linear sense but in a less holographic sense. More papery, more mundane, more ordinary, less life.

On an individual basis I thought the differences between the Brahma and Vishnu power cords to be not all that great. There wasn't a feeling of regretable loss moving down. The Heimdal and Frey interconnects and speaker cables each are in lock step regarding the gaps in performance. Very frustrating that the difference is both small and large. It's smallish but there is regret in moving down. I know the least about the Baldur speaker cable but will go back to it versus the Heimdall versus my resident (notice I didn't say "reference"! Hate that word) speaker cable the PS Audio Statement, which unlike the dreamy to deal with Nordosts, is a person to connect and disconnect. How did the Statement fare? So-so. It certainly belongs at the lower end of these cables in it's mundanity and roundness. Humbled but proud? Not completely out of place. He's the guy who comes in fourth at the Olympics.
icon10.gif

The greatest impact was in the interconnects, specifically the Frey. But I do believe diminishing returns set in at the Heimdall and Vishnu levels. They do seem to be 80% to 90% of the next level. Frankly from both a financial reality and a general principle standpoint I just refuse to buy a speaker cable that costs half as much as my speakers. I'll have to investigate the Baldur versus the Statement later but I doubt very much I'll go for it. The Heimdall/Frey affair is another story though. My cables are back in their original configuration (except for a Nordost Shiva which I owned previously now on the DAC1 as it is a little better than the Shunyata Diamondback previously connected. But the Vishnu isn't much better than the Shiva there. Wacky audio systems).

Yes, my cables are back in their original configuration but the Frey is in the lead. It's mark via it's lack of sonic mark is significant and unmistakable and the Frey shall stay. I think Nordost has thrown down a gauntlet here with trickle down state of the art transmission wire at a much lower price than before. My other cables seem like old technology, curvaceous 4:3 TV tubes versus modern flat and 16:9.

So, I'll just have to hobble along, one half Frey...one half not.

BallandChain.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back