Gaming Headphones under 80$
Sep 8, 2013 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nokialover

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to get some recommendations for gaming headphones that are under 80$.  The hardware that I will be using is an asus g750jx so it has a built in amplifier if that helps in any way.  

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 11
  I am looking to get some recommendations for gaming headphones that are under 80$.  The hardware that I will be using is an Asus g750jx so it has a built in amplifier if that helps in any way.  

Semi-open headphones
Samson SR-850 (made by Superlux)
Takstar Hi2050s

For closed headphones
Takstar Pro 80

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Built in amp?
On Board sound cards aren't really considered quality amps around here =p

I have a fiio e11 sitting around,but it is nice to have amps built into the machine.  

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 11
  Semi-open headphones
Samson SR-850 (made by Superlux)
Takstar Hi2050s

For closed headphones
Takstar Pro 80

I currently have a pair of berydynamic COP for music and movies.  I think for gaming I will need low bass headphone iirc?

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 11
  I currently have a pair of berydynamic COP for music and movies.  I think for gaming I will need low bass headphone iirc?

I would think as you already have the Beyer COPs, just use the COPs for gaming, leave the sound sliders fully open.
Maybe swap the Fiio E11 for the E17, connect the E17 to the S/PDIF optical output on the Asus.
I would think the E17's WM8740 DAC is better then the laptop's DAC.
Also using an external DAC (like the E17) means the DAC will not be affected by any electrical noise from inside the laptop.

Maybe get Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra, for playing Blu-ray movies.
It's only $29.90 on eBay.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 11
I have some AD700s for sale that are great for gaming. 

shameless plug - but seriously one of the better gaming headphones. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 11
The beyerdynamic worked alright when I was gaming with them, but I would prefer if I could use headphones with more detail I suppose.  

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 11
  The beyerdynamic worked alright when I was gaming with them, but I would prefer if I could use headphones with more detail I suppose.  

For surround sound FPS gaming, the ATH-AD700s seem to be well liked, but are very bass light, so not so enjoyable for audio that needs bass to sound good.
But I guess you could seal up the Beyer COPS for music and movies.

Maybe in the future you might consider upgrading from the E11 to the E17.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 11
  For surround sound FPS gaming, the ATH-AD700s seem to be well liked, but are very bass light, so not so enjoyable for audio that needs bass to sound good.
But I guess you could seal up the Beyer COPS for music and movies.

Maybe in the future you might consider upgrading from the E11 to the E17.

The e17 is quite teh pricey one, but the gaming I do is mostly fps shooter.  

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 11
I was pleasantly surprised by the Plantronics Gamecon 780. Even the dolby headphone on it is pretty impressive.

It's a USB powered gaming headset, very well built, plantronics microphone is top end and makes it sound like an audio recording rather than a phone call, even on skype, relatively flat frequency response compared to many of the "gamer headset" offerings out htere, plenty loud enough, and software/driver doesn't take over your system and install a ton of memory resident programs.

I got mine for $50 and got a pair for my wife, it works really well. They are decently comfortable with the only negative being the square earcups. Imagine a square DT770 and you will get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back