Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #4,411 of 13,800
Just fired up my new LPS (not 4) for a first listen via GO450 and HE-560/Draug 2 (using 3 metre usb cable from my printer for now) and have been switching between LPS and direct laptop connection for a while.  Crikey, people aren't kidding when they say the LPS makes a big difference...improved dynamics are immediately apparent and the 560 sounds even faster. Definitely not a subtle improvement, which can't always be said in this game. I previously felt that the GO450 struggled to drive these cans adequately well...now I'm not so sure.

Incidentally, I'm getting the same issue as many others have reported in that using the slacker cable in the back of the LPS prevents the GO450 from being recognised by my OS.

Yeah man, its not subtle... As I said in my thread with my impression of the LPS.. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a mini LPS or LPS-GO... To use with our GeekOuts... Something with a socket or dock where the GO would integrate with it as one slightly bigger unit...

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #4,412 of 13,800
And you can use two USB Type A ports, one for power and one for Data, on a laptop or PC and get an adapter (Female USB Type B to Female Type A that the cable and GO plug into.  You can also use a Linear Power Supply or a Battery to supply power for the power leg.

2G cable:

1) First Male USB Type A on cable with black strip (Power leg) plugs into female USB Type A on PC, LPS or Battery
2) Second USB Type A on cable no black strip (Data leg) plugs into another female USB Type A on PC or Music source
3) Male USB Type B on cable plugs into USB adapter > Female Type B to Female Type A > connects with Geek Out

I use this setup every day.

I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the tip!

[rule]
Weeeeeeeelp that didn't turn out at all. I would have been better off recording with a potato. : (

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MuExiwdfGA[/video]

Since not every will understand what's going on, here's a table of contents for your convenience:
2:20 - Top of the box
4:01 - Underneath the box's top
4:13 - Voltage warning label
4:35 - Warranty card (it has a satin finish or something that makes it sparkly/shiny...I tried to get it to reflect light there)
4:57 - The rest of the box contents
5:31 - 4x 12 V DC "umbilical cords"
6:54 - DC barrel plug
7:04 - LPS "dual-square" connector thing
7:23 - Grounded 3-prong AC cable
7:53 - 4x adhesive rubber feet (these things are massive...)
9:01 - Geek Linear Power Supply 4
9:20 - Removable acrylic faceplate sticker (a tried and failed attempt)
10:18 - LPS4's back panel
10:27 - Plugging in the AC power cable and turning the unit on
10:45 - Front panel LED indicators
11:20 - Plugging in the Light Harmonic Geek Out 1000

This box is pretty heavy. It weights about 5 pounds (~2.2 kg). I'll get around to listening to it eventually, but I've got some other stuff on my plate at the moment.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #4,413 of 13,800
I received a Geek Pulse today. I have quite enjoyed the Geek Out for many months particular after the latest FW was finally released that fixed the max. volume issue.

Just to sum it up, when the Geek Out was connected it would go straight to maximum volume and if anyone by coincidence had their favorite headphones or whatever implanted in their ears they would experience a mind blowing or ear shattering experience..

This was fixed with the latest FW release around September 2014 and it is all good.. Geek Out is a lovely unit.. IMO

Okay, so I plug in the Geek Pulse and after it is finally accepted on my PC, same Win 2,23 driver etc. and the Geek Pulse was recognized . 

So what happened.. I had one of my favorite headphones plugged in and was expecting glorious sound nirvana, but instead I (almost) feel backwards out of my chair if the airbag hadn't saved me..

Okay, I survived, but it appears that a similar issues as with the "very early" release of Geek Out is appearing once again or it is some leprechauns messing with my gear..which I won't rule out!

Anyhow, due to my experience as a "Geek" I got it figured out and how to use the Geek Pulse even without a manual. I assume a manual will be released when the "beta testing" is over.

Despite these "minor" functional issues that I can somewhat ponder about why it wasn't addressed or recognized earlier on. I did almost instantly (took an hour or so) recognize the Geek Out sound quality/performance carried along to the Geek Pulse, which was what I personally was looking for since I will take the SQ 5-10% increase anytime.. (not really, since $$ matters)

Early stage of listening to the Pulse and I'm not even slightly depressed about the sound quality, actually very positive  but I'll keep the Pulse turned on since I'm very afraid what will happen if I don't!

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #4,414 of 13,800
  I received a Geek Pulse today. I have quite enjoyed the Geek Out for many months particular after the latest FW was finally released that fixed the max. volume issue.

Just to sum it up, when the Geek Out was connected it would go straight to maximum volume and if anyone by coincidence had their favorite headphones or whatever implanted in their ears they would experience a mind blowing or ear shattering experience..

This was fixed with the latest FW release around September 2014 and it is all good.. Geek Out is a lovely unit.. IMO

Okay, so I plug in the Geek Pulse and after it is finally accepted on my PC, same Win 2,23 driver etc. and the Geek Pulse was recognized . 

So what happened.. I had one of my favorite headphones plugged in and was expecting glorious sound nirvana, but instead I (almost) feel backwards out of my chair if the airbag hadn't saved me..

Okay, I survived, but it appears that a similar issues as with the "very early" release of Geek Out is appearing once again or it is some leprechauns messing with my gear..which I won't rule out!

Anyhow, due to my experience as a "Geek" I got it figured out and how to use the Geek Pulse even without a manual. I assume a manual will be released when the "beta testing" is over.

Despite these "minor" functional issues that I can somewhat ponder about why it wasn't addressed or recognized earlier on. I did almost instantly (took an hour or so) recognize the Geek Out sound quality/performance carried along to the Geek Pulse, which was what I personally was looking for since I will take the SQ 5-10% increase anytime.. (not really, since $$ matters)

Early stage of listening to the Pulse and I'm not even slightly depressed about the sound quality, actually very positive  but I'll keep the Pulse turned on since I'm very afraid what will happen if I don't!

I had the same volume issue with my first usage.  I was likewise surprised after all of the Geek Out volume problems.  Just remember to adjust the volume dial before listening - that'll reset it from full volume (at least on mine).  I recall reading on the LH Labs site that it's a known issue that they're going to address.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #4,415 of 13,800
Such issue was reported multiple times by me and many others on the LHL forum. 
Another bug is that sometimes Pulse will stop taking input from knob but the display will response, I found out that changing the volume rapidly will be more likely to cause this.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #4,416 of 13,800
  Such issue was reported multiple times by me and many others on the LHL forum. 
Another bug is that sometimes Pulse will stop taking input from knob but the display will response, I found out that changing the volume rapidly will be more likely to cause this.

I've experienced the control knob becoming unresponsive numerous times.  Appears to take a reboot to get it working again.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #4,418 of 13,800

I had the same volume issue with my first usage.  I was likewise surprised after all of the Geek Out volume problems.  Just remember to adjust the volume dial before listening - that'll reset it from full volume (at least on mine).  I recall reading on the LH Labs site that it's a known issue that they're going to address.

Oh, I somehow figured that out, but others may not for various reasons, and since it is a product that many (some) are looking forward to it should be solved before it hits a "mainstream" market and not just a few reviewers that seemed to ignore this issue. I could be wrong since I haven't read all or the few reviews and maybe their units didn't have this issue. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #4,420 of 13,800
Oh, I somehow figured that out, but others may not for various reasons, and since it is a product that many (some) are looking forward to it should be solved before it hits a "mainstream" market and not just a few reviewers that seemed to ignore this issue. I could be wrong since I haven't read all or the few reviews and maybe their units didn't have this issue. 

I have actually asked Eric (headphone guru reviewer) before whether the volume will start at maximum upon turning the device on and he said no and it behaves just like everything else. Maybe yours had a older firmware loaded by mistake?

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #4,421 of 13,800
I think Larry mentioned somewhere that the firmware bug was squashed but then reappeared again. I'm guessing the headphone.guru review unit had the older firmware (it was an early Xfi).

I was a bit vocal about the original volume bug on the Geek Out. When you have a potentially headphone and ear-damaging bug like that, to my mind it needs to be fixed as a priority above all else. It took months for the GO firmware to be updated IIRC, and although it was requested, no warning was sent out to owners. That was irresponsible then, and it is again now with the Pulse.

A simple email to all Pulse owners informing them of the bug is all that's required. If your going to send product out to customers with no user guide or bug notification in the box, that's the least that should be done. For about the millionth time, customers should not have to live on the LH forums to find important information, particularly around safety issues - and a max volume bug IS a safety issue.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4,422 of 13,800
Man, all this talk about the LPS makes me wish I jumped on it when I backed my X-fi, but couldn't justify another XXX dollars at the time, between bills, Christmas and needing to dish out $500 to repair my LCD-2's money was a bit tight. Bummer.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4,423 of 13,800
Product

Status

Geek Pulse

44% shipped

Geek Pulse fi

January W3

Geek Pulse X

January W2

Geek Pulse Xfi

January W2

Geek Pulse Sfi

February W2

next week is week 2 if i'm not mistaken , let's hope !

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #4,424 of 13,800
I think Larry mentioned somewhere that the firmware bug was squashed but then reappeared again. I'm guessing the headphone.guru review unit had the older firmware (it was an early Xfi).

I was a bit vocal about the original volume bug on the Geek Out. When you have a potentially headphone and ear-damaging bug like that, to my mind it needs to be fixed as a priority above all else. It took months for the GO firmware to be updated IIRC, and although it was requested, no warning was sent out to owners. That was irresponsible then, and it is again now with the Pulse.

A simple email to all Pulse owners informing them of the bug is all that's required. If your going to send product out to customers with no user guide or bug notification in the box, that's the least that should be done. For about the millionth time, customers should not have to live on the LH forums to find important information, particularly around safety issues - and a max volume bug IS a safety issue.

well said +1

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,425 of 13,800
I got to stop by LH Labs at CES. They weren't in the audio hospitality suites, which is where they frankly should have been set up. Instead they were in the giant main hall of miscellaneous and small vendors. They had a laptop with an LPS 4, Pulse, and LCD-XC headphones. There was also an X or Xfi unit that was not connected. There were also shells for the Soul and Wave on the table. Most of the crew you would recognize was there at the 'booth' table.
The hall was so loud I put the demo phones on for a few seconds and gave up. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and there was no sense in it at all.
I mentioned that I was one of the original backers of the first campaign, and upgraded to X and Xfi and backed the Wave and other perks and upgrades. I basically got a response of 'oh, you didn't upgrade to infinity version? You should have gotten an LPS4...' Finally Larry stepped in and said that I would be very happy, so that was something. Otherwise response from LH Labs in person was the same as here and elsewhere: terrible.
I did ask on all of our behalf when the X and Xfi units were shipping. They said that people who upgraded at the end of the campaign got a new position at the end of the line based on the last thing you backed (I was shocked speechless and literally respond to that). Then Larry jumped in and said not to worry that they had stock for the units, they just needed to sort through all the data to make sure people were sent what they actually backed and upgraded over time.
Seeing how long it has taken them to sort through backer data in the past and how professional the staff wasn't (aside from Larry, for whom I have a newfound sense of respect), I wouldn't expect anything this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back