Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jun 9, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #11,386 of 13,800
Hi,

I also waiting for a Pulse Infinity with chassis 2.0

I was probably one of the first to back Geek Pulse 29 October 2013 just hours after Geek Pulse first was Announced.

My Pulse Infinity is now postponed five times.

I was told in December that Pulse Infinity would be sent at the end of the month.
Then it was postponed to February and then to April and so the beginning of June.

Today I was informed that it is again postponed to July.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #11,389 of 13,800
  Are you from the US? I'm curios if the this problem is mostly with international backers.

Just what I was wondering...

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #11,390 of 13,800
  There is a Intona review at www.audiostream.com/content/intona-technology-usb-20-high-speed-isolator#68DsJjsbGTK1QKgT.97.

Awesome review, according to it, if you buy Intona then you don't need to buy expensive cables or anything like an LPS. I think I will get this instead of Revive/Regen. 

Do I really need power cleaning if the USB is isolated after Intona and I put my SFi on an LPS?

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #11,391 of 13,800
True, it hurts a little to spend 300 on this piece of plastic.

Quote:
  It may be the best but I agree, it is ugly and cheap looking. For the price, and considering the more or less stark interior, they could do better on the aesthetics.

They did mention audio in an interview, read the review posted above. I hope next iteration is not 600$ LOL

I think it was first and foremost a USB signal cleaner. It was only later people used it for audio. 

Their next iteration should seriously consider looks too. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #11,392 of 13,800
  I was about to get a regen but some people in Australia who owned regen had a shootout with the wyred4sound recovery and threw in the Intona. They also tried combos. 

In the end they said Intona alone sounded best. I read that another place too so I bought the Intona. Keep in mind this is just forum hearsay. You should try yourself if you have the chance. 

Curious about people's impression of the Revive. 

Thanks, this is one of those little pushes I needed :)

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #11,393 of 13,800
The Intona achieves galvanic isolation, which is not done by Regen or Revive. Intona does do basic reclocking according to what I have read, but it is hard to say how good is that since one cannot isolate the effects of the reclocking from that of the isolation.

But the Intona does not clean up the power. In fact, it reduces the current from 500mA to 300mA and that may pose as a problem for some DACs that needs power to work or for the handshake.

What do you mean by this "since one cannot isolate the effects of the reclocking from that of the isolation"

The question is, will my SFi have issues with lower current output? Will it drop the connection or keep it running? If there is no issue with lower currents on an SFi then I am getting one soon.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #11,394 of 13,800

What do you mean by this "since one cannot isolate the effects of the reclocking from that of the isolation"

The question is, will my SFi have issues with lower current output? Will it drop the connection or keep it running? If there is no issue with lower currents on an SFi then I am getting one soon.

My Xfi doesn't have an issue with the drop in current.  I use a lightspeed 2G into the intona with the power leg drawing from an LPS4 (and a 1G going from the RPi to the LPS4 for the handshake), haven't tried any other configurations because it works so well.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #11,395 of 13,800

My Xfi doesn't have an issue with the drop in current.  I use a lightspeed 2G into the intona with the power leg drawing from an LPS4 (and a 1G going from the RPi to the LPS4 for the handshake), haven't tried any other configurations because it works so well.

With the 2G, the 5V power is taken from the LPS and thus the drop from 500mA to 300mA will not be experienced.  When using the Intona, I was not able to use any of my longer USB cables (> 1m), including the Lightspeed 1G cable.  I had to use a generic 30 cm long USB A to B cable.  I understand that Curious makes short cables for the Regen too.

Jun 10, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #11,396 of 13,800

I meant that the Intona does both galvanic isolation and reclocking at the same time, and there is no way to enable/disable one of those two functions.  So I am not able to pinpoint whether it is the isolation or the reclocking that gave rise to the pleasant effects I am experiencing.  Thus, I am unable to comment which is the more important feature.

I hope this clarifies.

From my experience, once you have established the connection, there will be no dropouts.  I am using the XFi and a short 30 cm cable after the Intona, if that helps.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #11,397 of 13,800

The only thing the Pulse, in any configuration, uses the power leg for is the handshake (to let the source of data being sent know it's present and available to receive data).  The Pulse does not use the USB +5V to power itself so the drop from 0.5V to 0.3V should not have an effect on it functioning properly.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #11,398 of 13,800
A lot of times when I turn on my Pulse I don't have sound. Windows sees the Pulse in sound settings but no sound is playing. I have to turn off and on the Pulse several times and/or change samplerate in order to make it work properly. Does anybody know why?

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #11,399 of 13,800

Sorry to ask, but what is an RPi? I don't have 2G cable or the LPS. I am going to be extremely lucky if this Intona will work for me.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #11,400 of 13,800

With the 2G, the 5V power is taken from the LPS and thus the drop from 500mA to 300mA will not be experienced.  When using the Intona, I was not able to use any of my longer USB cables (> 1m), including the Lightspeed 1G cable.  I had to use a generic 30 cm long USB A to B cable.  I understand that Curious makes short cables for the Regen too.

Do you mean Intona has to be closer to the DAC or the PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back